Pokemon Home details released

6 hours ago, Surge135 said:

How do you THINK Pokemon became the single most profitable IP in the world? With "filthy" business tactics like these, obviously.

I'm definitely not a fan of the price, but if this is supposed to be the next method of storage for the games moving forward, of course they will price it the way they did to make up for the "cut Pokemon" fiasco.

Pokemon would still be the most profitable even without these stunts. They enrage Pokemon's most loyal customers, for what's honestly a very minimal potential revenue source. The annual $16 per successfully-swayed Home customer does not look likely to make up for the rest of the fanbase buying fewer games, plushes, and other products due to lessened enthusiasm and trust.

5 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I don't know or use Google Drive but when you make the comparison with Pokemon Bank annual price that is expensive. Before that was mentioned I honestly wonder why some though $5 a year is expensive.

But as Surge mentioned, Pokemon as the company wouldn't be company they are if they didn't think their IP is how they charge for their service and not necessarily the data. I'm not standing for them charging $16 a year I think it is outrageous too but compared to the $5 a year with what they think their IP cost as service wasn't that bad.

If they didn't have free option, this whole Pokemon Home would be received much worse. Holy shit Pokemon, WTF man?!?

$5 for a year of Bank was too expensive--don't lose sight of that. It's still an extremely basic service on top of what is already one of the world's most profitable products.

And I'm not convinced that Home's free option will soften the blow at all. You still need a premium subscription to transfer from Bank., even if Bank itself is getting another free trial.

2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

$5 for a year of Bank was too expensive--don't lose sight of that. It's still an extremely basic service on top of what is already one of the world's most profitable products.

And I'm not convinced that Home's free option will soften the blow at all. You still need a premium subscription to transfer from Bank., even if Bank itself is getting another free trial.

Outside the kilobyte for data and just because a business can make a cheaper offer doesn't mean they will, unfortunately.

I have to agree to disagree with $5 a year is expensive unless you really keep tight budget then sure other than the value vs the IP, the owner will always look at their IP is worth it to make such a charge.

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

This image would have held more weight had fans not ran Sakurai over the coals just two weeks ago.  I'm just sayin'.

The key difference is that Smash fans are mad at Sakurai because he put something into the game that they didn't want.

Pokemon fans are mad at GameFreak because they took things out of the game just so they could sell them back to us.

Smash fans have already gotten so many things that they'd been wanting for years (K. Rool, Banjo, Ridley), that getting butthurt over an eighth Fire Emblem rep is just being greedy and selfish.

Pokemon fans have had to deal with so many features being cut for so long, that the amount of content that GameFreak is charging an extra 30 dollars for, plus a 16-dollar yearly subscription fee, on top of a 60-dollar base game that was so obviously rushed out the door to meet an arbitrary deadline, that the backlash from fans seems entirely justified.

@Tyranogre I disagree that being disappointed with Byleth makes us “greedy and selfish”, but I concede to your overall point that TPC is making overall very shady decisions, although as Surge135 said, this is actually not news. You may have decided that enough is enough, but Pokémon has always been a scam to some degree. 

Therein really lies the point. It’s not just a scam but a successful one. Did you see the latest on units sold? SwSh is already the most profitable of the whole series. Why would they bother changing their approach?

For a moment, let's evaluate the cost of entry into Generation 8 with all the bells and whistles that would normally included in a $40 package:

$60 for either Sword or Shield

$30 for the DLC season pass

$5 for Pokemon Bank to transfer your Pokemon from previous gens

$16 for the premium Pokemon Home service

$20 for Nintendo Switch online to trade and battle with other players.

After taxes, you're looking at $150 in order to enjoy Pokemon Sword & Shield to it's fullest extent. Previously, the equivalent of this would cost you 1/3 the price.

1 hour ago, Youngster Joey said:

For a moment, let's evaluate the cost of entry into Generation 8 with all the bells and whistles that would normally included in a $40 package:

$60 for either Sword or Shield

$30 for the DLC season pass

$5 for Pokemon Bank to transfer your Pokemon from previous gens

$16 for the premium Pokemon Home service

$20 for Nintendo Switch online to trade and battle with other players.

After taxes, you're looking at $150 in order to enjoy Pokemon Sword & Shield to it's fullest extent. Previously, the equivalent of this would cost you 1/3 the price.

Don't forget that you have to buy a separate DLC season pass for each game. So, if you're one who has to have both versions, add another $90 on top of that. 

18 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

The key difference is that Smash fans are mad at Sakurai because he put something into the game that they didn't want.

Pokemon fans are mad at GameFreak because they took things out of the game just so they could sell them back to us.

Smash fans have already gotten so many things that they'd been wanting for years (K. Rool, Banjo, Ridley), that getting butthurt over an eighth Fire Emblem rep is just being greedy and selfish.

Pokemon fans have had to deal with so many features being cut for so long, that the amount of content that GameFreak is charging an extra 30 dollars for, plus a 16-dollar yearly subscription fee, on top of a 60-dollar base game that was so obviously rushed out the door to meet an arbitrary deadline, that the backlash from fans seems entirely justified.

My point of contention was primarily with what the image was conveying not really lining up with reality.  As much love as Sakurai puts into Smash that didn't stop him from being internet mob steamrolled over something perceived as being so much worse than what it is. Maybe it's from a place of privilege, I dunno, but considering we've seen "throwaway" comments even for those like Hero and Terry for various reasons it still had them projecting the audacity to make it seem like they were slighted. The same people you're calling greedy and selfish for things like that are the same people that will speak to their soapbox on why they're justified in how they feel about those updates one way or the other.

Pokémon, at least with the Pokémon Home business I don't like the model for the Basic package.  But I also feel like any announcement from TPC/Masuda/etc. will continue to be met with derision moreso from the conversation that has already surrounded the games and less from any other consideration.  The idea that the game was obviously rushed (based on?), carved out content to sell us later in the form of the DLC expansions (says who?) is not coming from a place of understanding but a place of "how else can I hyperbolically express my dissatisfaction with this franchise and these people."

• Chrom featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

PKMN Home app now available on Switch (mobile app doesn't seem to be available yet)...

Anyone signing up for a premium plan? If so how long? I might use the free plan once the app is compatible with PKMN GO. BTW, I just think it's stupidthat there's a lot of stuff you can't do in the Switch app, which you have to use the mobile app to do. EX: The GTS

Edited by alienboyva
10 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Did you meant to post that in the shiny gen 8 thread or were you killing 2 posts with one stone here?

It wasnt my shiny Celebi, still reseting in Crystal for that......

I only did free version for now and played around with that. Surprised to see the meltan line be classified as unknown.

This is what I had to endure when I was transferring mons from Emerald to Pokemon Y back in 2014 when Bank came out. I don't mind the Pal Park tho the restriction of 6 Pokemon at time is dumb. That minigame I detest for gen 5 was deplorable and they limit the mons there too.

Tho, I have DL'd Pokemon Home, I will not my 3 months subscription to transfer my mons from Y to bank, to Home and final Sword and Shield until the first part of the expansion comes out in June at least then I know what Pokemon transfer by the 100 returning Pokemon they are adding. Doing it now would be a waste of time and money. The 3 month would be up in May a month before the expansion release and who know with the 400 Pokemon I transferred to Y if the ones I have are not 100 Pokemon compatible. Yeah I want to do this right and make sure I transfer Pokemon I know are going to be in the expansion.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, alienboyva said:

PKMN Home app now available on Switch (mobile app doesn't seem to be available yet)...

Anyone signing up for a premium plan? If so how long? I might use the free plan once the app is compatible with PKMN GO. BTW, I just think it's stupidthat there's a lot of stuff you can't do in the Switch app, which you have to use the mobile app to do. EX: The GTS

What I don't like is that there's a short wait period after putting the moving key before you can transfer the Pokemon game and I guess through Bank. (not shown in the video)

Like Derrick says there's no progress bar to show what happens after putting the key. I'm not sure they will remedy but if most complain, I can see that being remedied.

Also, Grand Oak is my fav professor now.