The Paper Mario and Metroid coming 2020 rumor mill + ?

FWIW, I just picked their video because, but apparently a lot of sites I trust for gaming news are picking it up too based on the credibility of the sources mentioned.

My commentary:

I think we are due for a PM game.  I'm not so sure MP4 hits 2020, I'm thinking 1st Q 2021 at best--it will be hyped up due to a MP trilogy release probably 6 months out from the actual release.  Now these guys seem to think a 2D Metroid could the one coming 2020--now that seems more real to me as its been a while since that 3DS game.

*Paper Mario thoughts:

I played Super Paper Mario first.  The 2D/3D switching mechanic of the game drew me in and I really liked it.  The graphics just popped and the humor and characters in the story just really grabbed me.  I got Paper Mario 64 on the WiiVC and played it through.  Man, that game was good, I had skipped over it on the N64 due to time and money.  I believed the hype behind TTYD and got it used at GS.  By the time I had gotten to this game in the series and had started to play it I felt I had seen everything about it before and already.  I tired of it real fast and basically quit on it.  I haven't played an games past these three so I really can't comment on where the series went from there.  I still have thoughts of its a poor man's SMRPG tainting my thoughts on the series as a whole.  All I'd ever really ask for in a new one is a good play mechanic and to come off as original again.

*Metroid thoughts:

I somewhat liked the NES game and I somewhat liked Super Metroid but I never got wholeheartedly into it and I have never really played any of the Prime games.  I think the series one of Nintendo's best to come off as a non-casual game for more hard core gamers.  And, in someways I do kind of subscribe to the belief that it kind of is Nintendo's alternative to Halo.  Depending on how scrapped and restarted that MP4 game had to endure, I just don't think 2020 is the release year and I don't think we see a trailer for it till December 2020.  I think they would be stupid not to do a HD remaster of the MP trilogy though.  And with Switch Motion controls being as good, if not better than the Wii's it should be an easy sell.  A new 2D entry wouldn't be bad as there are plenty of fans for that style in the game's universe.

Edited by purple_beard

I'm rather hung up on the nebulous definition of "reputable" as well. At any rate, our cries for a return to the original RPG format of Paper Mario has fallen on deaf ears for more than a decade, so I see no reason for Nintendo to have a change of heart now. A continuation of the Metroid series from where Fusion left off seems too good to be true. Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch seems like a lock-in as we near Prime 4's release, but a new 2D Metroid so close to the last one is unprecedented before or since Fusion-->Zero Mission, and Nintendo has no reason to take another financial risk on Metroid so quickly given the series' historically low sales. 

Yeah there's no way Metroid Prime 4 is coming this year.  If anything maybe an updated Super Metroid like Samus Returns.

As far as Paper Mario goes they've made it clear they have no intent on bringing it back to its RPG roots. I wouldn't be surprised if one was announced, but I would be surprised if they went back to the original formula.

Traditional Paper Mario would probably hold my interest better than the recent entries. Traditional Paper Mario for me is more about having a connected world with a diverse range of characters with some lore to them as opposed to a stage based adventure with Toads and more Toads. I'm interested to see how they handle the aesthetic of a post-Color Splash Paper Mario game, because I really think they went all out in that game. I also think pushing the aesthetic too far leads to a sillier game, so I actually hope they take a step back and go for more of an in-the-background approach with the paper aesthetic like they did in TTYD. I want to be able to really dig into the world of a Mario RPG again and too much play on paper could distract from that. Partners too are almost essential for a new entry to get me really excited. 

Metroid Prime 4 should not release this year even if it was done. It has not been a year since Nintendo informed the audience that development for Prime 4 had restarted, so I think a release this year would bring in speculation that the game was again a rush job. Prime 4 is likely a late 2021 release. With how soon they handled Prime 4 last year, I'm convinced that Prime 4 was originally suppose to be a late 2019 release following its E3 2017 tease. An early 2019 update to late 2021 release would put the game development around that same time window. We could see Prime 4 in a post-E3 Direct if not during E3 in the form of a brief trailer this year. 

Metroid: Samus Returns isn't that great to me, but I do think Metroid Fusion would be a better foundation for Mercury Steam to work from than Metroid II and should deliver a better remake or re-imagined 2D Metroid game. I'm not convinced that Metroid 5 is on the way as I don't feel there is a clear vision for that sequel. It has gone from a corrupt Federation arc from the set up of Other M and Fusion to dealing with villainous Chozo that were established in Samus Returns. I think Metroid 5 has gotten more complicated not more of a reality following Samus Returns. It would be cool though if Metroid 5 did come this year and I would take an original entry over another potentially somewhat botched re-imagined 2D Metroid. My hope is that they don't touch Super Metroid. If they are doing a new take on an older 2D Metroid, skip right to Fusion as was set up by Samus Returns' ending. Please remove the Melee Counter too. 

Edited by IU
56 minutes ago, IU said:

Traditional Paper Mario would probably hold my interest better than the recent entries. Traditional Paper Mario for me is more about having a connected world with a diverse range of characters with some lore to them as opposed to a stage based adventure with Toads and more Toads. I'm interested to see how they handle the aesthetic of a post-Color Splash Paper Mario game, because I really think they went all out in that game. I also think pushing the aesthetic too far leads to a sillier game, so I actually hope they take a step back and go for more of an in-the-background approach with the paper aesthetic like they did in TTYD. I want to be able to really dig into the world of a Mario RPG again and too much play on paper could distract from that. Partners too are almost essential for a new entry to get me really excited. 

Metroid Prime 4 should not release this year even if it was done. It has not been a year since Nintendo informed the audience that development for Prime 4 had restarted, so I think a release this year would bring in speculation that the game was again a rush job. Prime 4 is likely a late 2021 release. With how soon they handled Prime 4 last year, I'm convinced that Prime 4 was originally suppose to be a late 2019 release following its E3 2017 tease. An early 2019 update to late 2021 release would put the game development around that same time window. We could see Prime 4 in a post-E3 Direct if not during E3 in the form of a brief trailer this year. 

Metroid: Samus Returns isn't that great to me, but I do think Metroid Fusion would be a better foundation for Mercury Steam to work from than Metroid II and should deliver a better remake or re-imagined 2D Metroid game. I'm not convinced that Metroid 5 is on the way as I don't feel there is a clear vision for that sequel. It has gone from a corrupt Federation arc from the set up of Other M and Fusion to dealing with villainous Chozo that were established in Samus Returns. I think Metroid 5 has gotten more complicated not more of a reality following Samus Returns. It would be cool though if Metroid 5 did come this year and I would take an original entry over another potentially somewhat botched re-imagined 2D Metroid. My hope is that they don't touch Super Metroid. If they are doing a new take on an older 2D Metroid, skip right to Fusion as was set up by Samus Returns' ending. Please remove the Melee Counter too. 

The melee counter I think is fine on paper; just don't make it as pivotal for every enemy and boss (to the point where pretty much every random enemy is designed to immediately and obnoxiously come out and hit you if you're not counter ready), kinda like how some of Other M's melees were an extra you didn't necessarily have to perform, but were there to use if you wanted. Also, new aeion abilities please.

Speaking of Mercury, I got Castlevania Mirror of Fate for free last month off my XBL subscription, but has been on my backlog due to not having found a good time to start it with December and some of January being the busiest time for work, but hoping to begin either this or next week or so. Having originally been a 3DS sidescroller, Mirror of Fate was the engine they used when designing Samus Returns, so it'll be interesting to compare as far as mechanics when I start going through it.

Before they were brought on to do Samus Returns, wanting to do a Fusion remake was one of Mercury's first pitches anyway, so yeah, think they would do better with that. Remaking Metroid II they just did out of obligation since it was the longest overdue officially, but the X-Parasite cliffhanger of Returns was still pretty indicative, and to not follow up on it with a Fusion reimagining would be a missed opportunity. Despite other fans out there who say we need no more remakes of any kind and are just starved for Metroid V, I agree that Metroid V conceptually is still unrealizable at this time.

Oh, this thread's rumored news I first caught wind of earlier from someone retweeting Sabi, but I trust him about as far as I can throw him, which isn't very far.

7 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Despite other fans out there who say we need no more remakes of any kind and are just starved for Metroid V, I agree that Metroid V conceptually is still unrealizable at this time.

I'm curious, why do you think Metroid V is unfeasible? I'm in the camp that believes Super and Fusion need no remakes, and just want Metroid V, so I'm curious what your thoughts are. 

Then I guess the one after would be called The Dark Hunter, where Dark Samus sues Aran over the rights of that title.

2 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I'm curious, why do you think Metroid V is unfeasible? I'm in the camp that believes Super and Fusion need no remakes, and just want Metroid V, so I'm curious what your thoughts are. 

Pretty much the reasons already stated; they seem unsure whether to follow through with the corrupt Federation arc that we never got to see to the fullest, or the new rogue Chozo setup. Any new game ought to focus on one at a time though, not both, thus allowing for more game sequels down the line. A Super reimagining I could see shedding more light on the evil Chozo plotline at least, if not a Fusion one as to showing said Chozo's whereabouts by then. Of course if an Alien 5 ever happened, we would've been had a Metroid V going by the pattern of the 2D games' premise taking some inspiration from the Alien films (for better or worse), but I digress.

Kinda realized I forgot after my last post & until now that Sakamoto apparently said he had no more remakes planned for the time being (as of 2017), but all these rumors suggesting one thing and then the other as to what's next for Metroid sidescrolling makes me 2nd guess at times. I think a Super or Fusion remake either now or somewhere in the future has plenty potential to add some new things though regardless, as well as refine old things from the originals. There's always the possibility of another interquel game set somewhere before Fusion too. If Metroid V of all things is really what's really next, then so be it, but for now, I think something that's been anticipated since 2002 (thanks to the hiatuses Metroid has been through) could use more buildup, or at least a more explicit leadup through some other game (remake or otherwise) before we get the promised Fusion sequel, maximizing the hype value.

Seriously tho, like most have been saying they would like traditional Paper Mario with its RPG roots. Is that too much to ask for? I don't need a great story necessarily but it would be nice.

I just need partners, turn base battles, as long as they have they I know Nintendo will probably put a twist somewhere so. Let's start with that as the base.

I don't play a lot of Metroid  games or have not completed any but since I hear Super Metroid is like Zelda's Attp, why not do a remake ala Awakening on the Switch sans the art style direction of course. I would like to see Mecurysteam make they did a fabulous job with Samus Return for the 3DS. And makes sense since they also developed that Castlevania game for the 3DS. I played the demo of that game and I can see the parallel in gameplay sort of. Also Metroidvania actually happened because of this developer so why not have them remake Super Metroid for the Switch.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, DLurkster said:

why not do a remake ala Awakening on the Switch sans the art style direction

cause Super Metroid is perfection in physics (along with enemy design etc), but they're complex and take time to learn, and those devs would invariably fuck it up trying to make it more action-oriented like they did for Returns. i don't think Nintendo themselves could properly remake Super Metroid either. just look at Majora's remake, where they tried to scrub the darkest parts of the environment, botched the physics, and gaffed on one of the boss designs trying to simplify it.

I think the only thing that may be as bad as Super Metroid being remade with Samus Returns as its core direction would be MPH being remade with the criticisms of most fans being addressed. That's how disappointing it would be to see that happen to Super this year and it would mean there would not be another 2D Metroid experience for another few years. I think at best, a Super remake would look great and complement the universe visually established by the original well. The gameplay though is going to be almost completely off with Samus Returns as the foundation. It'll be successful and likely praised though just due to where the fandom is right now and how starved most were between Corruption and Samus Returns for traditional Metroid. 

Edited by IU

My other main concern I guess would be if whether the sequence breaks of Super Metroid (even the simple ones like getting the wave beam early without the grapple beam) would still be present in a remake, not to mention the mechanics like power bomb combos and crystal flash that are still unique to it (compared to any other game in the series) to this day. I could see some of the aforementioned stuff returning in a remake, but probably not all of it. Suffice to say, Super Metroid was initially made as if though it were the last game in the series, because it was originally intended to be (before fan demand eventually brought the series back in the early 2000’s), so they went all out with it. A remake would feel more by the numbers in comparison, although I do see more Chozo Lore/Memories potential, but a Fusion remake could have that just as well, not to mention Fusion would be better suited for Samus Returns’ kind of game engine/direction with how linear it was. 

Zero Mission and Samus Returns were necessary because the original games were ancient and borderline unplayable. They had so many flaws that it made sense to remake them for modern standards.

All of Super’s flaws are extremely minor nitpicks that aren’t serious enough to warrant remaking the entire game:

*Spazer and Plasma Beam can’t be equipped at the same time for no reason

*The little white dots on the map screen that indicate the presence of an item don’t change to indicate that you’ve already collected that item

*Power Bombs must be manually selected like Super Missiles when they could’ve easily just required a different button press while in Morph Ball mode

*Having a dedicated “run” button when there’s never any practical reason to walk

*Spring Ball is basically useless

*Shinesparking drains your energy