General Anime/Manga Thread

April

12 hours ago, Pichi said:

vvv good list
a lot on here i've been meaning to watch for ages lol
like texh, haibane renmei, utena
mushishi is great and the fanart for it is like a step above every other anime fanbase i swear

I think the common thread through all of those is that they're all a very slow burn. Texhnolyze especially is so slow paced. I don't think the main character even has a single line of dialogue until episode 4.

Though it was a lot easier to get into than I expected. I had put it off for a long time because it seemed intimidating.

11 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Lucky Star is one of those shows that can only be appreciated as a product of its time.

I love it, but the fact that most of the jokes are based on obscure meta-references makes it difficult to recommend for anyone who wasn't "there".

I have no idea how it would be watching it fresh now but it was one of the first seasonal shows I ever watched week to week so I have some good feelings about it.

There's still a lot to like about it even if the 2007-era references go over the viewer's head. Most of the jokes in it are just dry observational humour about life or silly cute things like when Tsukasa gets her first cell phone and she doesn't know how to use it at first but then she gets hooked on it.

Never ever watch currently airing shows, unless it's maybe a single episode out of curiosity.
I finally got around to watching Yorimoi recently lol. Well, 4 eps in anyway
Eizouken seems fun. I'll probably watch that later on.
I saw some interview on Twitter saying that Yuasa decided to do it because he searched his own name and saw somebody saying he should lmao

Edited by Pichi
On 1/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, devilsKnife said:

I think the common thread through all of those is that they're all a very slow burn. Texhnolyze especially is so slow paced. I don't think the main character even has a single line of dialogue until episode 4.

I think Texhnolyze goes about 11 minutes before a line of dialogue.

Don't get me wrong: the series is great, but that first episode is some uncomfortable watching. It's a great show if you can get through those first few episodes, but not everyone can. Years ago, I had recommended the show to some people, and I know they only made it about halfway through that first episode before throwing in the towel. I can understand why. 

Mostly looking for suggestions because I've been struggling to find something to watch in my spare time and been struggling to find stuff that interests me, largely because I just finished JJBA so it's been hard for me to enjoy anything action-y. And I swear, it feels like very other anime series is another light novel isekai adaptation, and isekai broadly doesn't interest me, so browsing anime hasn't made me find anything.

• Shonen ai/gay shit. Yuri on Ice, Given, No 6; series like that. No Ty, this isn't an invitation for suggesting that shota shit, so please don't. I guess series like Free! are fine too, even though that's more manservice than shonen ai.
  • Mecha anime. Gundam, Macross, and the like. I prefer real robot to super robot. Steampunk like Last Exile is cool too.
  • Shonen that doesn't take itself seriously. So Jojo, Gintama, and the like. I'd prefer shorter series, but like, I get short series and shonen mix about as well as cats and water, so *shrug*

So, any suggestions? I'm also vaguely interested in Legend of Galactic Heroes despite being a 110 ep behemoth, but we'll see.

I have seen exactly one Gundam series, but I would wholeheartedly recommend Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket if you haven't seen it. It's a side story that focuses on an 11-year-old's experience during the One Year War. I've been told it's an atypical Gundam story. The dub features Solid Snake. 

Combing points two and three, Martian Successor Nadesico is a sci-fi show that doesn't take itself too seriously. Sort of, anyway. It's a space opera with giant robots story that parodies the genre. It's often silly, but serious when it needs to be. I'd compare it to Irresponsible Captain Tylor, another sci-fi parody. The greatest strength of Irresponsible Captain Tylor is the title character.

5 hours ago, Ares said:

Shonen that doesn't take itself seriously.

Have you read the Pokemon Adventures (Pokemon Special) manga? It's really lighthearted and fun like you'd expect Pokemon to be but also has plot with serious weight.
It's long-running as well, but sectioned off very neatly in arcs that correspond with the games and have satisfying conclusions, so there's no obligation to keep going.
Reading Red/Blue + Yellow arcs would only take you through 7 volumes, for example.

also this might interest you, although i haven't read it myself. just on my plan to read and is pretty highly rated
https://myanimelist.net/manga/92252/Koimonogatari

Edited by Pichi

VOTOMS is cool but it does have some older animation. Though you said you like Macross and Gundam so that's probably not an issue

Patlabor is cool too but I've only watched the movies of it and a few episodes here and there

Maybe Dr. Stone or Soul Eater for lighthearted shonen? I also liked That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime recently but it's an isekai so... yeah

11 hours ago, Ares said:

Mostly looking for suggestions because I've been struggling to find something to watch in my spare time and been struggling to find stuff that interests me, largely because I just finished JJBA so it's been hard for me to enjoy anything action-y. And I swear, it feels like very other anime series is another light novel isekai adaptation, and isekai broadly doesn't interest me, so browsing anime hasn't made me find anything.

• Shonen ai/gay shit. Yuri on Ice, Given, No 6; series like that. No Ty, this isn't an invitation for suggesting that shota shit, so please don't. I guess series like Free! are fine too, even though that's more manservice than shonen ai.
  • Mecha anime. Gundam, Macross, and the like. I prefer real robot to super robot. Steampunk like Last Exile is cool too.
  • Shonen that doesn't take itself seriously. So Jojo, Gintama, and the like. I'd prefer shorter series, but like, I get short series and shonen mix about as well as cats and water, so *shrug*

So, any suggestions? I'm also vaguely interested in Legend of Galactic Heroes despite being a 110 ep behemoth, but we'll see.

iDOLM@STER Side M.

I haven't seen it, but assuming it's just iM@S with dudes, it's right up your alley.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, Ares said:

At least for the mecha portion; one of my favorite anime is Eureka Seven.  The original though, Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven, not the sequel Eureka Seven AO. It's...not that great.  Also, it gets dumped on a lot for whatever reasons but I really enjoyed Aldnoah.Zero.  Knights of Sidonia is also worth a look if you can get past the odd throttled framerate styling that a lot of 3D CG anime seem fond of for some reason.

14 hours ago, Kezay said:

Also, it gets dumped on a lot for whatever reasons but I really enjoyed Aldnoah.Zero

Urobuchi Gen left the series after the first episode or something when he was supposed to be the writer and people weren't happy with how it played out as a result

On 1/24/2020 at 10:53 PM, Kezay said:

At least for the mecha portion; one of my favorite anime is Eureka Seven.  The original though, Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven, not the sequel Eureka Seven AO. It's...not that great.  Also, it gets dumped on a lot for whatever reasons but I really enjoyed Aldnoah.Zero.  Knights of Sidonia is also worth a look if you can get past the odd throttled framerate styling that a lot of 3D CG anime seem fond of for some reason.

I love Eureka Seven. But I've like rewatched the series four times already.

I tried Aldnoah.Zero and couldn't get into it.

But I'll check Sidonia out : D

Edited by Ares
On 1/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Pichi said:

Urobuchi Gen left the series after the first episode or something when he was supposed to be the writer and people weren't happy with how it played out as a result

I had to look up what this was all about but didn't realize that was part of the disdain some had for the series. Reading that he had creative differences around how Inaho was to be portrayed I will say I kind of wish his version of the character was what was used.  I just always feel weird about these stoic, one note protagonists who don't seem to know much about the tasks they're faced with but somehow turn out to be geniuses that end up as the best person for the job in the end.  Probably my biggest complaint with Aldnoah. Zero is that it was hard to buy into Inaho's character progression and elevation to the status he achieved compared to just about everyone else where I felt I could connect to and understand what they were going through and fighting for.

8 hours ago, Ares said:

I love Eureka Seven. But I've like rewatched the series four times already.

I tried Aldnoah.Zero and couldn't get into it.

But I'll check Sidonia out : D

Ah, well nevermind then. :P

wish motoko looked a little less like an SoL-anime figurine and wish character design wasn't by an artist who got his clout through plagiarism
but overall it looks far better than anything else that has come out of this franchise in the last decade

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

wish motoko looked a little less like an SoL-anime figurine and wish character design wasn't by an artist who got his clout through plagiarism
but overall it looks far better than anything else that has come out of this franchise in the last decade

You didn't like the Arise series?  I thought it was pretty interesting.

I thought SAC Solid State Society would have been within the last 10 years and that was pretty darn good IMO.