The Alliance Alive

So to the two people out there besides me who played The Legend of Legacy, this might be of interest to you. FuRyu has released the first round of details for a new RPG from the same team. The Alliance Alive looks to be an RPG cut from similar cloth as its predecessor, but seemingly with a focus on an actual narrative, promising to weave together the individual and holistic tales of nine protagonists into a single playthrough, as opposed to each character having their own campaign. Personally, my biggest gripe with Legend of Legacy was the total lack of plot, so this is a welcome change. The information we've been given details the nine protagonists, establishes the world history, and briefly touches on the battle system, which seems to feature the formation system from the previous game. 

Spoiler

In turn-based command battle of up to five party, equipped with a fast-forward function of up to four times faster, it is a system of tempo emphasis.  You can equipment and party number of people-formation setting in the menu.  Battle occurs when contact with the monsters that prowl on the map, is a symbol encounter system.

Here's the trailer. If you watch it all the way to the end, you'll see the evidence of the narrative that I'm talking about. It seems to be taking a more cinematic approach to the presentation overall, and the music is as awesome as it was in Legend of Legacy. 

The Alliance Alive is set for Japanese release in Spring 2017. I don't know if Legend of Legacy sold well enough for Atlus to bother localizing this, but we can hope. 

The totally bareboned storytelling was definitely a problem with Legend of Legacy, and also such a weirdly missed opportunity. They went through the trouble of making several unique characters and then none of them talk or discuss anything throughout the course of the game? Might as well have just made them generic/customizable characters.

I had several other problems with Legend of Legacy though, particularly the needlessly complicated and tedious magic system. I don't see any indication of drawing magic contracts yet so I'll try to stay optimistic that they've scrapped that, or at least revised it. Raising stats/learning skills was also kind of annoying; if they could at least make it a little simpler I'd be fine with it returning though.

I'll tell you what I do like to hear: 5-character parties. It sounds like a silly thing to home in on but frankly I'm always glad when games branch out from the 3-character party which has for some reason become the gold standard of RPGs. I feel like too often teams of 3 end up feeling limited in terms of strategy. This was especially true in Legend of Legacy, when you'd generally end up having one character attack, one defend, and one heal/draw contracts. I'm hoping a team of 5 will open up the gameplay to a bit more variety.

I'm not sure what to make of "a [battle] system that emphasizes tempo" though. I guess we'll have to wait to see what that means exactly.

Timing is the issue. The Japanese version releases in Spring 2017, which means we most likely wouldn't see it brought to our shores until the following fall. Depending on NX, the 3DS might not be viable enough to translate, which would be a damn shame because this looks interesting.

Then again, this is Atlus. The only other company to support 3DS to such a degree is Nintendo, so I'm not counting Atlus out.

See? Two people. :P 

In all seriousness, I am glad to see a five-member party system. I always felt like I was fighting an uphill battle in Legend of Legacy, since if one person died, my whole party would go down just trying to revive them. Drawing contracts was an esoteric mechanic that always felt like it was going to pan out into something you could plan strategies around, but never did. It just limited you in how you could fight. 

I'm baffled by that "tempo" bit, too, but these early details are sometimes lost in translation, so I'm not too worried about it right now.