Pokemon Direct - 01.09.2020 - 6:30AM PT / 9:30AM AT

@DLurkster Fair enough, though to be honest, I haven't really reciprocated the new popular notion that this deal is "good because it isn't a sequel/3rd version".

Getting two versions of Sun/Moon for instance (whether the regular versions or Ultra) would be $80, while this DLC + the SW/SH base game is $90 altogether, so any person after this who wants to play gen 8 now has to pay $90 for the full experience (even if it's only one of the two versions), instead of just the $40 that one of the sequels/3rd versions would be.

So not only is it not really better in my opinion, but doesn't really make the season pass deal look that appealing to me either even if I was to still indulge this gen.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Watched the Direct at work, liking some of the new Galar designs for older pokemon and what the starters are getting.  Blastoise looking like a walking fortress is a boss move!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the two new regions but it seems like they're aiming for much more emphasis on the open air nature of the wild area with these new areas, especially with the Crown Tundra.

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Calyrex....

image.png.7b56d331edf3849e96579b2d0f4fe832.png

Literally look like a Digimon, I just can't point my finger as to which one but then again to two legendary this gen sort of look like Digimon too.

I thought I was looking at a deity from a Legend of Zelda game when they covered Calyrex. :P I'm usually more of a fan of legendary Pokemon that look more like Urshifu, more complex and intimidating design, but the Zelda vibes from Calyrex brought the two near even for me. Considering that Urshifu has Gigantamax forms, I hope they have plans to develop a Gigantamax for Calyrex that looks less frail. 

3 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

@DLurkster 

Getting two versions of Sun/Moon for instance (whether the regular versions or Ultra) would be $80, while this DLC + the SW/SH base game is $90 altogether, so any person after this who wants to play gen 8 now has to pay $90 for the full experience (even if it's only one of the two versions), instead of just the $40 that one of the sequels/3rd 

Technically this time around it would have been $120, $60 for both halves.... so $90 doesnt seem to bad.

1 hour ago, IU said:

I thought I was looking at a deity from a Legend of Zelda game when they covered Calyrex. :P I'm usually more of a fan of legendary Pokemon that look more like Urshifu, more complex and intimidating design, but the Zelda vibes from Calyrex brought the two near even for me. Considering that Urshifu has Gigantamax forms, I hope they have plans to develop a Gigantamax for Calyrex that looks less frail. 

I get why you would say that and you would think some who love the Zelda series would automatically go to that.

But not in this case there certain designs that shouts Zelda but usually with each iteration characters and enemies like differ in design so but in this Pokemon is more like Digimon and evil one at that too.

I'm so close guessing that Digimon.

I think this is the Digimon I was thinking, does it look similar to Calyrex?

image.png.0de4185b05405d7b4a9e395f83b83be2.pngimage.png.143861f3155548d2c73a42b236242c59.png

Not close right?

The name of that Digimon is Cherubimon. Last evolution of this type of monster.

Edited by DLurkster

This is the best case scenario. I think this is an act of good faith on GameFreak's part (granted, DLC is behind a different director.) The $30 update looks like it's met with some substantial content. The free addition of 200+ Pokemon is nice. I prefer this method of updates as opposed to the third version or Ultra updates. I don't like investing so much time into one game, only for it's update to arrive soon after. I can see myself picking up Shield after the DLC drops.

Well, I'm certainly surprised we'll be getting 200 Pokemon added in. I still refuse to buy these games unless they have everything in it. I'm not paying $20 more for even less content- let alone an additional $30. I guess at this point I should just wait and see if we get Ultrashield or whatever.

Edited by Carl321

Because I stopped watching the trailer when I realized it was going to spoil literally everything, I didn't know that the second expansion would be bringing back every legendary in the series.

Goodbye, balance.

It's been so refreshing to play in a meta where every Pokemon has potential, even if their BST is well under 500. But in less than a year that collapses back into everything revolving around the same few 600 BST legendaries. At least dragons have been kept in check by undesirable typing.

1 hour ago, Terranort said:

Having to pay $30 to use around a third of the Pokemon I caught in previous games is bs.

200th post.

Seems there is some constant confusion about this, so allow me to explain.

The Expansion Pass is for the extra content of the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra. There is going to be a free update once the DLC has launched to allow players that aren't buying the Expansion Pass to be able to trade for/transfer the added-in Pokémon from these DLC to their game via other players or via Pokémon Home. Therefore, there is not a paywall for the 200+ Pokémon being brought back.

1 hour ago, Surge135 said:

Seems there is some constant confusion about this, so allow me to explain.

The Expansion Pass is for the extra content of the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra. There is going to be a free update once the DLC has launched to allow players that aren't buying the Expansion Pass to be able to trade for/transfer the added-in Pokémon from these DLC to their game via other players or via Pokémon Home. Therefore, there is not a paywall for the 200+ Pokémon being brought back.

That's great! :D Thanks for telling me!

8 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Ah yes the image of minigame on the GBA SP that game was such a pain to get 4th gen Pokemon to the 5th gen but once you get through that, you just have to transfer the Pokemon from the 5th DS gen on the 3DS with the Pokemon Transporter through Pokemon Bank which you need to transfer to Pokemon for two gens of Pokemon with 6th and the 7th gen.

Right not now all my mons with the diagram above is in my Y game no Pokemon the bank and my pass expired so no concern for deleted Pokemon but I just realized with the 200+ Pokemon coming to 8th gen, I can't bring over all the mons I have on my 500 something dex in Y.  So still have to keep Pokemon in bank or Home, my plan was to put all of them in 8th gen so incase I forget a few to put in game the subscription won't expire and I may or may not lose Pokemon. This should be great micromanaging, yay! No sarcasm.

Thinking more broadly after looking at some recent videos like that, he's pretty much right. Pokemon's business model has always been garbage; we just bought into it because we were kids when introduced to the series, and any practice that would be questionable for any other series just became normalized for Pokemon over time because that's how it always was. Sure, Sword/Shield has its own unique brand of issues that caused many to reevaluate their relationship with the series, as well as this recent DLC deal which can be similarly judged either way, but regardless, we were just this guy, and I was just this guy before Sw/Sh got me to stop and think more:

I know it's kind of an overused meme, but it sends the message, even if like that guy there is making fun of himself in doing so, but it's the joke that capitalism plays on all of us.

And al-

oh.jpg.1d1ecdf7d022986f1c316ae30b0430ab.jpg

Suppose I should stop there for now actually... Good day to you all.

I'm just hoping that I can send my Battle Points saved up from Pokemon Bank to Pokemon Home next month because I am sitting at 3999 BP in Bank right now. I'd rather spend those on nature mints and *good* held items and possibly tutor moves in the DLC in Sword and Shield than buy the few trade evolution items needed for my Gen 6 Living Dex and then nothing but Rare Candy.

@Ridley PrimeHe’s absolutely right. It’s silly to crucify Gen 8 specifically when the whole model is seedy. And I agree with him that this is frankly better looking in terms of optics at this point than any of the “3rd outings” were. We go through the same argument every year anyway where we complain the model isn’t changing enough, but now I guess Gen 8 is the straw that broke the camel’s back for people. And as Jim said, if this is your time of reckoning with this series, then that’s great. But maybe not everybody sees it that way or even cares, because they get a great deal of enjoyment from the series still.

BTW, loved the new Pokémon miniseries pilot, not gonna lie. :P