Pokemon Direct - 01.09.2020 - 6:30AM PT / 9:30AM AT

Just now, Surge135 said:

My Bank expires in 109 days, meaning I'm gonna need to buy another year's subscription (which isnt much tbh) if I want to be able to transfer the DLC Pokemon to Home after it's been determined which of the 490 Pokemon make the cut. Or I can try and build out a third Living Dex to send to Home as soon as that comes out next month...

I'd like to just empty my Bank into Home and let it die

12 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

The articles I've seen on it so far indicate its $30 per expansion pack, meaning if you want it for both Sword and Shield, you'd be paying for it twice. 

Well thanks for clearing that up. On the bright side it’s only $30 for each version as opposed to paying $60 for each upgraded version of Sword and Shield. Not too thrilled about this.

I am of the mind of @DranSeasona: This kind of DLC was done with BotW but this is different when it comes to value to the base of SW/SH. While BotW was worth the $60. Ppl have a right to question the value of SW/SH. It is nice that that for those who don't care about expansion pass experience can still Link Trade but in order you need NSO and Pokemon is not necessary per se unless you want the 200 you trade or capture to stay in SW/SH.

Overall, I look at it as this if the few who didn't buy this gen Pokemon they for sure not getting game now. For those who bought this gen game, I see most going to buy this expansion pass. Hopefully I'm not overspeaking here but if you were turned off by what GF were doing back in June of last year but end up getting the game, who are you kidding that you are most likely gonna get the expansion pass. This expansion pass will be the real testament of wallets here, if you justify the incomplete base game and will buy the what you think isn't additional content versus what is and should of been in the base game.

@The Albraskan: I'm in that boat too. For now I'm gonna get the pass for Sword but I'm not using actual cash, I'm using my Gold points I accumulated from purchasing digital games. I have enough to get and I used the gold coins twice. So far, for what I use them for was risk/reward with Smash fighter pass and the DLC with MAC 3. Those games purchases were with it, I hope it is with this expansion pass. That will determine if I'll get this with cash down the road for Shield.

3 minutes ago, The Albraskan said:

Well thanks for clearing that up. On the bright side it’s only $30 for each version as opposed to paying $60 for each upgraded version of Sword and Shield. Not too thrilled about this.

So it's specifically listed as "Pokemon Sword Expansion" and "Pokemon Shield Expansion" and not a single item on the eShop?

33 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

My Bank expires in 109 days, meaning I'm gonna need to buy another year's subscription (which isnt much tbh) if I want to be able to transfer the DLC Pokemon to Home after it's been determined which of the 490 Pokemon make the cut. Or I can try and build out a third Living Dex to send to Home as soon as that comes out next month...

I don’t think that’s how it works. I’m fairly certain you can transfer any Pokémon to Home upon its release (that’s what they advertised at E3) in February, you just can’t transfer from Home to SwSh until June.

@TyranogreAll kidding aside I really don’t think it’s that extreme. Again, there isn’t a real paywall for the Pokémon, here, since they can be traded (so that’s really fine).

10 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

I don’t think that’s how it works. I’m fairly certain you can transfer any Pokémon to Home upon its release (that’s what they advertised at E3) in February, you just can’t transfer from Home to SwSh until June.

@TyranogreAll kidding aside I really don’t think it’s that extreme. Again, there isn’t a real paywall for the Pokémon, here, since they can be traded (so that’s really fine).

When I said I can transfer the DLC mon to Home, I meant from Bank to Home. So if I wanted to wait until June to find out which Pokemon are being reintroduced, then I would need to re-subscribe another year to Bank to make it to June and then transfer what is new from Bank to Home then. Otherwise I can just build a Living Dex for Gen VIII and just send everything from Bulbasaur to Meltan to Home and then wait another few months for the Isle of Shield update to move anything new to my Shield game.

All these Dexit Brigaders forget that competitive Pokemon had become an absolute hellscape. The Sword/Shield meta is by far the healthiest competitive scene this game's ever had.

But now we're getting Chansey in June.

So like... life is fleeting. Don't wait until it's gone to miss what you had.

Edited by Destiny Hero
17 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

@Surge135 Yeah that’s my plan... transfer to Home and dump Bank altogether.

I'm gonna keep Bank for a while, I still play Gen 6 and Gen 7 periodically and have unplayed games to complete the National Dex in and get the Shiny Charm as a reward, so having the Bank available to hold both my Gen 6 and Gen 7 Living Dex will be helpful until I have nothing else to do in those games.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

All these Brexit Brigaders forget that competitive Pokemon had become an absolute hellscape. The Sword/Shield meta is by far the healthiest competitive scene this game's ever had.

But now we're getting Chansey in June.

So like... life is fleeting. Don't wait until it's gone to miss what you had.

Brexit? What does the UK leaving the European Union have to do with Pokemon anyway?

I like the direction Game Freak is taking to have an expansion pass as opposed to releasing a third version or sequel pair this year. Since Generation 4, I've been skipping those games as I wasn't interested in going through a retread of the previous game for the new content sprinkled in. Here I can get right into the new content and it's for $30. The expansion pass is an easier sell at $30, with what's currently known, than I feel the main game was at $60. I'm not saying that because I think Sword is worth less, I'm saying that because of the expectation and risk that comes with getting a new game at that price point. It didn't help in the case of the main games that they had a fair amount of negativity circling either. 

The way the expansion pass was presented with the research board format along with the game footage gave me the perception that plenty of care and effort is being put towards the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra. It's a presentation style that I would like to see more from Nintendo. I think seeing or getting a sense of their process and progress helps in appreciating the in-game result. 

I think the content is there for the value. This seems like a better offer to me than what I've gotten from Smash and BoTW. Allowing 200+ Pokemon to be encountered, even with most likely being previously cut Pokemon, can equate to hundreds of hours of play time in itself depending on the player. 

I should be happy about the Mystery Dungeon news, but with the timing of its release and the fact MD has always gotten relatively poor reviews (especially when compared to the mainline games), it's probably gonna do poorly, but at least I can take it as a sign for now that Pokemon spinoffs aren't completely dead.

The new Regi was interesting, but the Galarian form of the Kanto bird trio was equally offputting. The Moltres form looks kinda cool, but Zapdos who was usually the most appealing design out of three for me, got the worst makeover. They pretty much took the simple clean designs of the bird trio and turned them into DeviantArt tier edgy.

I agree with some of the contempt reactions about cut Pokemon being brought back as DLC, but it was expected when they were already shown to be in the game's code.

Bought the expansion pass for Sword with my Gold Coins. I still have $8 worth of coins left after the transaction.

Also checked my Pokemon Bank my pass expired but I completely forgot that a very, very long time ago with the Pokemon Tansporter, I transfer and dumped all my Pokemon from the 5th gen (also did the minigame thing in the 4th or 5th gen to get previous gens into 5th) and put them all into my Pokemon Y game. So I have no Pokemon in the Bank. Whenever we figure out what 200 Pokemon is in the expansion I may think of migrating the Pokemon from Pokemon Y to Bank and then to Home then finally to Sword and my Shield games.

That doesn't sound to hard and I am not being sarcastic, this is easy. I figure it would be tedious if I kept any Pokemon in Pokemon Bank and just put them in the most current gen till, if I need to put them back in the bank and put them in future gen game. Don't need a living dex per se but for me it is just best to transfer all the mons you caught throughout gens to the most current games. So when there's future gen game to put them through you know where all you mons are and also you might not lose any Pokemon in the Bank.

-----

4 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

If the articles @blcdude1 saw suggest that the passes for the versions are separate from each other then I guess so. I’m not near my Switch so I can’t confirm this.

The expansion pass included part 1 and part 2 but you must purchase both passes for both version if you have Sword and Shield which there are exclusive Pokemon and characters of course, as usual.

2 hours ago, IU said:

I think the content is there for the value. This seems like a better offer to me than what I've gotten from Smash and BoTW. Allowing 200+ Pokemon to be encountered, even with most likely being previously cut Pokemon, can equate to hundreds of hours of play time in itself depending on the player. 

2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

I agree with some of the contempt reactions about cut Pokemon being brought back as DLC, but it was expected when they were already shown to be in the game's code.

Wow, these two statements couldn't be more polar opposite.

But to add what Ridley Prime said about some Pokemon are in SW/SH as code, no matter where you stand about these Pokemon should of been in the game, you don't need to purchase the expansion pass to get these Pokemon. Like it was suggested that they will update the Pokemon missing into SW/SH, that is what they are doing if don't get the expansion pass. The only real requirement is having Nintendo Switch Online membership to Link trade with those who have caught Pokemon for those who purchase the expansion pass.

You can complain all you want but at least they offer that option instead of locking Pokemon that should of been in the base but are in the expansion.