Dell's ALIENWARE Concept UFO - A little too inspired by the Nintendo Switch?

Dell just showed off this new ALIENWARE device at CES today...

Hands-On: 

Spoiler

We've seen companies in the past show of their new "Switch inspired" devices, but is Dell going a bit too fare here with their new ALIENWARE hybrid device? It pretty much does everything that makes the Switch a Switch (A tablet that docks to a TV, has detachable controllers that can attach to a grip, table top mode, etc.). If this thing goes into full on production, could we see a lawsuit on here? So, what classifies as patent infringement and what classifies as product competition? Where do we draw the line?  With the Switch, did Nintendo create a new type of portable gaming device (the 'hybrid' device) with other companies creating their own (Ex: Like how Apple created the modern day smartphone with the iPhone), or did Dell just want a bit too much of that Switch pie with their ALIENWARE Concept UFO?

I'm not sure where you'd draw the line here, but to me, it seems Dell went a bit too far here, since the ALIENWARE Concept UFO pretty much does everything that makes the Switch a Switch. It's going to be interesting to see how things play out if this gets released (especially if they can git it around the Switch's price range), because this thing is straight up a Switch but for PC games. It has some of the same games as the Switch, plus games that have yet to come to Switch, which are also on PS4 & XBOne. Other "Switch inspired" devices we've seen in the past, were from mobile device manufactures. These devices ran mobile OSs and where mainly for mobile games, which Nintendo doesn't see as competition. Now, with the ALIENWARE Concept UFO, I feel like like Nintendo might see this as competition and issue a lawsuit (possibly beforehand, so it doesn't get released), because as far as I'm aware, PC gaming is a direct competitor to console gaming.

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Dell's ALIENWARE Concept UFO - A little too inspired by the Nintendo Switch?

What was shown here is just a prototype, right? Also, from what I heard the game perform well, you just gotta get used to whirling fans for game that really push the device.

If the fans is louder than the speaker we have a problem as bad as overheating. GL to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there even a pricepoint announced for it yet?  The limited games comparison ain't so bad in the broader sense if only because of a vast library of games across a ton of different online delivery services are available for PC and therefore available for the UFO, but kind of weird to talk about pricing when there is no price point to even compare and contrast to. (context of pricing to content availability/resources notwithstanding)

I dunno, it's just funny to me that a few websites I read through back during CES kept wanting to distance comparisons away from Switch because the UFO was different and so much more but at the end of the day they came right back to making those direct comparisons.

But so it goes, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness."

59 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Is there even a pricepoint announced for it yet?  The limited games comparison ain't so bad in the broader sense if only because of a vast library of games across a ton of different online delivery services are available for PC and therefore available for the UFO, but kind of weird to talk about pricing when there is no price point to even compare and contrast to. (context of pricing to content availability/resources notwithstanding)

I dunno, it's just funny to me that a few websites I read through back during CES kept wanting to distance comparisons away from Switch because the UFO was different and so much more but at the end of the day they came right back to making those direct comparisons.

But so it goes, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness."

No, I'm pretty sure they haven't announced a price yet. Given ALIENWARE's history with the pricing of their products, I'd expect the UFO to cost way more that your standard Swtitch... Hell, even more than a Switch Pro (If Nintendo announced one). I'm thinking it might be at least around the same price as the PS5 and XBOX Series X.

I think the best part of all of this is that it comes from a site called "Trusted" Reviews. With a site named that, maybe you should do a little research before bashing a product, so you don't look like a total dumb-ass. :D

The top comments on that Tweet are pure gold!... <3

Spoiler

Edited by alienboyva

Hmm, haven't commented on this yet. Even though it's heavily inspired by the Switch, we have seen similar form factors from phone controller attachments. My problem with the Alienware UFO is that it's a tablet PC, which is okay on its own. I still use a Surface Pro 3 after all these years. But not only is it a tablet PC, it's one meant for gaming, so unless they do yearly revisions, it's going to get outdated quick if you're planning on using it for high end gaming (oh, the battery and the fan, that's going to work overtime). It would amazing if this can be used for retro games, especially those old Apogee titles. Run DOSBox, hopefully there's a joystick to keyboard software in there. Yeah. I know it's Windows 10, talking about more on the ease of using it.

But if you're asking me if this will succeed or fail. Just look at the OUYA. It's conceptually an amazing idea, and I can see why it won best in show. Because who wants high end gaming on the go? Raising my hand here, it's a dream concept. But unless they can solve a number of problems, such as battery, heat, potential futureproofing so it can last for a good few years, its practicality is limited.

Edited by avalonknight
  • Chrom featured this topic