Animal Crossing: New Horizons | 🏠Ver. 2.0 & Happy Home Paradise (DLC) available Nov. 5th!

1 hour ago, chickadee said:

thats a nice sentiment, but you don't have anything to back it up like...at all; the only thing we've learned about communicating in game is via the app so like...i'll just keep holding my breath y; 

a bit about the music: i truly wonder if they're going for a more BOTW lowkey feel in terms of the hourly music, because NONE of the clips on the website (things not shown in the direct) have music in them, which i thought was really interesting. the museum clip had some very low music i could hear, but nothing outside except sound effects. i remember thinking MANY times in NL i wish i could just turn the music off, even though i loved it, so i am kinda hoping for some flexibility there! would be an interesting choice since the hourlies are so ingrained in animal crossing, but the games seem so much calmer without music lol

Well, we know there's an on-screen keyboard, because we saw it being used to write letters. Why would they have this in the game and not also let you use it to chat with friends when playing online, like in past games? It just seems dumb, especially playing in Handheld Mode or on the Switch Lite. Do they really expect you to keep switching between devices? Then again, this is Nintendo and they have done stupid things in the past. :v 

jS1hXXH.png

Yeah, I was wondering the same about the music. The hourly music (especially the night music) is one of my favorite parts of AC and I'd really hate to see it completely gone. There have been times where I've only played at certain times just so I could the hear the music. It just wouldn't feel like AC without the hourly music. The lack of hourly music could be something they did just for the website, but IDK why they would go through all that trouble. I could see why they'd want to put more emphasis on nature sounds in NH, but think it would be nice if they gave you some control to as to how much music and nature SFX you want in the game. I feel like if they where going to make such a big change to the hourly music, they would have mentioned it in the ND. It would be pretty shocking to get the game and find out it's so subdued or gone completely. Just imagine everyone's reactions.

EDIT: Speaking of the website, this is pretty cute... ^_^

piEqDNc.png

Edited by alienboyva
8 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Wait, NO one is talking about Kapp’n and Tortimer. They’re gone too!

GB, love-able sailor of rhymes!

there's a lot of special characters still MIA

i particularly miss pelly, phyllis, phil, and porter ;_; was EXTREMELY happy to see kicks make an appearance again though! i wonder if he'll be kinda like saharah now? setting up shop a couple times a week in the square to sell shoes or something. he never did have enough stock to make it worth having a full store in NL, but its nice to see him again nonetheless y; 

This might be the first Switch game that has me excited. Terraforming the island will be nice, and I'm glad they finally brought back multi-level towns. The museum looks amazing. They've added tons of convenient improvements, and it'll be interesting to see how being to have furniture outside will change the dynamic.

I'm ready for Animal Crossing to take over my life again.

The Japanese website has given us a bit more info on what amiibo will do in the game. Besides calling animals to the campsite on your island (which you'll be able to ask them to movie in), and calling them to Harvey's Photo Studio for a photo op, you'll also be able to get posters of animals that you can hang on the wall in your house. 😍

🔗https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/acbaa/index.html

02.png

Edited by alienboyva

So my eBay listing sold. It will be my Amazon.com preorder cuz free shipping.

My Amazon.ca preorder is available. So if you want free shipping in Canada (I don't have Prime, sorry) or want to pay for shipping to the States, I will charge only cost plus Paypal fees (can do EFT as well)

If no one here wants it, I'll cancel it. If more than one person does. I will random draw, literally names from a hat and I'll video it.

Edit: Unsure if I can change address to a USA one. Canadian price is $399.96+prov tax.

Edited by EH_STEVE

This whole save data recovery thing may or may not be a one time deal (see tweet below)...

I think this whole AC:NH save date backup situation makes no sense. I mean, Nintendo wants people to buy multiple Switches and not being able to transfer your AC:NH save data between systems or recover it from "the server" more than once, kind of defeats that. Especially, in a game like AC, where people put hundreds of hours, even years into the game. I'm sure there will be special edition systems/a Swict Pro that people would want to upgrade to, or some may want to downgrade to a Switch Lite and having to make the decision if this system is were you want your AC:NH save to forever be, may turn some people off from buying the game. Also, what if you get a new Switch (SE/Pro/Lite) and something happens to it and you've already used your one and only save data recovery for transferring your AC:NH save data to it? You're pretty much screwed and have to start over! I don't get why Nintendo is all of a sudden so against cheaters, and in AC of all games. Who cares if people time travel and what not?! People have always done this in past games, so why are you so against it now, Nintendo? Let people play how that want! Speaking of TTing, this is most likely the reason why holidays are now handled via updates. Though, on the bight-side, they could change up the holiday events every year. Anyway... It just sucks that we're paying for cloud saves and on the first-party games you'd want them the most (Splatoon 2, Pokémon, Animal Crossing) they don't support them or in the case of AC:NH, allow back-ups, but don't use the Switch's built-in cloud save feature and have restrictions around them. Other companies allow save backups, while still finding ways to deal with cheaters... Why can't Nintendo figure this out as well? 

Edited by alienboyva
4 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Other companies allow save backups, while still finding ways to deal with cheaters... Why can't Nintendo figure this out as well?

A simple answer to this question is that cost money that they are not willing to spend. They charge for online this gen at fraction of the other guys and I'm pretty sure Nintendo says they won't mircotransactions in every of their mobile. Whoops, we have monthly passes in Feh and AC: PC now.

They are all about how much money they can make without spending it where it might be needed. I know its business like anyone else but this 180 degree turn with this mindset seems unbecoming of them. I wonder how many heel-turns we gonna see before this really backfires on their consumers?

There is so much customization that can be done with the island layout in New Horizons that I feel a bit intimidated as one who has been primarily playing Wild World. I do question if I can have a relaxing experience with what's looking to be a very loaded game. I'm sure I'll find that experience here, it just may take the most adjustment to get there. I'm not sure if the option exists, but it would be nice if New Horizons could be played one-handed with a single Joy-Con. That would make the game much more relaxing in my opinion in spite of all the learning for the game's new features. It would also keep the experience familiar after playing Wild World one-handed for years. 

33 minutes ago, IU said:

There is so much customization that can be done with the island layout in New Horizons that I feel a bit intimidated as one who has been primarily playing Wild World. I do question if I can have a relaxing experience with what's looking to be a very loaded game. I'm sure I'll find that experience here, it just may take the most adjustment to get there. I'm not sure if the option exists, but it would be nice if New Horizons could be played one-handed with a single Joy-Con. That would make the game much more relaxing in my opinion in spite of all the learning for the game's new features. It would also keep the experience familiar after playing Wild World one-handed for years. 

That would be nice! I remember being able to do this in City Folk with the Wii Nunchuk, though you still needed the Wii Remote for some menus. I know you can play with a single Joy-Con sideways (IIRC, that how they demoed that game at E3 on Treehouse live), but that's probably it. To use a Joy-Con one-handed I would guess it would all depend on how the L/R, ZL/ZR, and right stick works. I'd be nice if more games would add this as an option like PKMN Let's Go and Lumines Remastered, but that all depends on how complex the controls are.

18 hours ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Are we still limited to 8 characters for our island name or is it different this time around?

no, the town they showed off....somewhere, I think in the direct? was called Nintenland, which shows at least 10 characters

edit: screenshot found

ERPJ2bdXYAElmD5?format=jpg&name=small

link

some people thought that 'land' was going to be added automatically and that town names could only be 6 characters long, but that's been proven false already in case anyone else had seen it 

1 hour ago, chickadee said:

no, the town they showed off....somewhere, I think in the direct? was called Nintenland, which shows at least 10 characters

edit: screenshot found

ERPJ2bdXYAElmD5?format=jpg&name=small

link

some people thought that 'land' was going to be added automatically and that town names could only be 6 characters long, but that's been proven false already in case anyone else had seen it 

Interesting. About time that character limit got changed.

Here's a look at the character customization, which includes being able to change your hair & face at any time via a mirror/vanity in your house...

Ok... I'm all for streamlining things, but does this mean Harriet and her Shampoodle salon is't making a return? :(  I know we already saw in the Direct that you can get new hairstyles from D.I.Y. cards using Nook Miles (see spoiler below). Also is that all the starting hairstyles? I'm not particularly fond of any of those. :-/

Spoiler

kfnweSi.png

Edited by alienboyva

That's pretty cool, though I don't think I'd use it that much. I always like being able to see the sky in the post GC games. However, I do see how this camera angel could be useful at times.

WHAT!?  You can put custom face paint or your villager? :o  Blanca would be so proud! ^_^

Hmmm...It seems like with a few of these new features in NH they decided to test them out in Pocket Camp first, like backpacks/back accessories, animals being able to wear hats and glasses, and in a recent Valentine's event you could get a little heart face paint to put on your cheek. Also, they recently added earrings to PC, so I wonder if these will show up in NH...?

Edited by alienboyva
12 hours ago, IU said:

I'm torn on how I feel about the villager customization. It's nice to not have to guess and hope for the best with Harriet, or consult a guide, but it also reminds me a little too much of Mii maker/channel menus. 

I feel ya'. Quite a few things are now being done through menus. Sure, it's great for the convenience factor (Ex: Not having to look at guides to get the face/hair you want), but it kinda takes a bit of life out of the game. Hopefully Harriet will still come to your island as a special character. Maybe she could give you rare hairstyles/hair colors and possibly hair accessories.

I'm not sure I like so many characters being replaced in NH, like Chip, Nat, Joan, Pelly/Phyllis (hopefully we get a post office later on), Harriet, etc. :( 

Edited by alienboyva