Sign in to follow this  
blcdude1

Video Games Finished in 2020

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Video Games Finished in 2020! 

It's that time of year again! I've your participated before, you know what you're getting into! If you haven't, well, it's not terribly complicated!  We keep track of the video games we beat each year, and post them in this thread! So welcome, one and all! Let's try to play and beat as many as we can this year! Last year, we collectively beat 361 video games! Can we top that? Let's find out! 

GAMES BEATEN:

When you beat a game, post the name and the system. That’s it. 

No photo needed. We're going by the honor system here! So don't lie! After all, it's your backlog, so the lie hurts you most of all. 

Want to review your game? Go for it! It's by no means a requirement, but you can let us know how much you enjoyed- or didn't enjoy a game in this thread. Want to share a picture proving you beat a game? Go for it! It's not a requirement, but shots of the "The End!" or the credits are always welcome. 

If you want a way to keep track of your backlog, go to backloggery

RULES:

1) Make a new post when you beat a game, so I can easily see it and count it. Game and system is all you have to post. However, having either your first post be a master post or keeping a running total on each new post helps me double check and make sure scores are accurate.
2) No emulators unless you actually own the game (or otherwise stated). 

3) You may finish a game you started playing in a prior year and count it. That's fine. In fact, I expect several users will beat games in January that the started playing last year. All I ask is that you don't open up a save file from years ago that is right before the final boss, beat it, and then claim beat the game. That's just goes against the spirit of the thread.
4) You can however, feel free to go back to a game you haven't played for year(s), start from the beginning and beat it and count it. That's fine. It is OK to beat the same game multiple years in a row. 

5) Beating a game multiple times in the same year will only count once. This includes the same game on different consoles and remasters. Consideration is offered to DLC campaigns and remakes. 

6) There is no Rule 6. 

7) Digital downloads count for the system you played it on, physical copies count for the system they were made for. 

8) Mobile games in the nature of gatcha, slight story, etc such as; Fire Emblem: Heroes, Puzzle & Dragons, Star Wars: Heroes, etc, can all be considered complete after beating all stages. For example, every story mode and paralogue stage in FE:H, all normal stages in P&D, all light, dark, cantina, and mod battles in SW, etc. These requirements can change if more story missions or stages are added. Just finish the levels available to you. I won't hold it against you if you claim a gatcha game as beaten and more levels are added later. Of course, if this happens, you can't claim to beat the game a second time in the same year. 

Categories:
1) Console – Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Switch eShop, PSN, XBLA, Vectrex, etc.
2) Handheld – 3DS, DS, Vita, PSP, GBC, 3DS eShop, PSN, Wonderswan, etc
3) PC – PC and Steam Box
4) Mobile – Phone and Tablet games. 
5) Overall – Add up all categories above to get a total

NOTE: Since some PSN games have cross save functionality, you pick whether you beat it on PS4/PS3/PSV (if applicable).
NOTE: Physical copies of games count for their original system, digital copies of games count for the system you beat them on. You might remember this as Rule 7! This is true of emulators as well- if you own a physical copy of the game, it counts for the original system. 

Challenge Game of the Month:

I'm skipping the challenges this year (unless I see a sudden and unexpected demand for them) but will continue with the Challenge Game of the Month. Each month, I will select a newly released video game as a "Challenge Game." Beating a challenge game gets you a challenge point. Just like Whose Line Is It Anyway, these points don't matter! 

January: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Switch (the Wii U original also counts) 

February: Vitamin Connection, Switch

March: Doom Eternal, Any

April: Streets of Rage 4, Any

May: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Switch (Wii and 3DS versions also count) 

RANKINGS:

Username - Games Beaten - Challenge Point

Eliwood8 - 50 - 1

devilsKnife - 38 - 0

blcdude1 - 24 - 0 

Irondog666 - 17 - 0

Link, the Hero of Dreams  - 12 - 1

EH_STEVE - 12 - 0

Laclipsey - 7 - 0

Tyranogre - 5 - 1

Igneous42 - 4 - 0

K - 4 - 0

Pichi - 2 - 0 

purple_beard - 2 - 0

ace - 1 - 0

Youngster Joey - 1 - 0

lazurwolf - 1 -0

Updated through this post. The games beaten can be viewed on this Google Doc.

Leaderboard History:

Igneous42 --> blcdude1 --> Eliwood8 --> devilsKnife --> Eliwood8

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

First Game Beaten in 2020: Dragon's Crown, PS4, by Igneous42

Tenth Game Beaten in 2020: Link's Awakening, Switch, by Irondog666

Twentieth Game Beaten in 2020: 198X, Switch, by K

Thirtieth Game Beaten in 2020: Sonic Adventure 2, PC, by devilsKnife

Fiftieth Game Beaten in 2020: Touhou 06 ~ The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, PC, by devilsKnife

First Game Beaten by Multiple Users: A Hat in Time, by Eliwood8, Link, the Hero of Dreams and devilsKnife

64th Game Beaten in 2020: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne by Igneous42

First Challenge Game Beaten: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore by Tyranogre

100th Game Beaten in 2020: Super Street Fighter II by Irondog666

All For One (111th Game Beaten): Curious Expedition by Eliwood8

150th Game Beaten in 2020: Bioshock by Eliwood8

First Person To Beat 50 Games: Eliwood8

175th Game Beaten in 2020: Sayonara Wild Hearts by devilsKnife

Total Games Beaten: 180

Edited by blcdude1

Posted (edited)

Console: 21

Handheld: 1

PC: 2

Mobile: 0

Overall: 24

Games Beaten:
1. Pokemon Shield, Switch

2. Fitness Boxing, Switch

3. Defunct, Switch

4. Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire, Switch

5. Gal Metal, Switch

6. Syrup and The Ultimate Sweet, Switch

7. Contract Demon, PC

8. Lonely Wolf Treat, PC

9. Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, Switch

10. Pocket Mini Golf, Switch

11. Fantasy, Switch

12. Guerrilla War, Switch

13. Miami Law, DS

14. Street Smart, Switch

15. Beast Busters, Switch

16. Sasuke vs Commander, Switch

17. Ikari Warriors, Switch

18. Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road, Switch

19. Ikari III: The Rescue, Switch

20. SAR Search & Rescue, Switch

21. Altered Beast, Switch

22. P.O.W.: Prisoners of War, Switch

23. Time Soldiers, Switch

24. Donkey Kong, Switch

Edited by blcdude1

Posted (edited)

My list: 

Console – 9
Handheld – 1
PC- 1
Mobile- 1
Overall – 12

1/14- SSX Tricky for GCN 

SSX Tricky was a wonderful masterpiece on the GameCube. I'm not a sport person myself, but the skateboarding and snowboarding era of the late 90s/early 2000s was a great time to be a part of. I even had my own skateboard and scooter for a while, and I once went to one of those community skate parks. I never did any tricks, and I said "once". Still, there were the Tony Hawk games, of course, and I really liked Rocket Power when it aired on the old-school Nick. I don't remember how I got SSX Tricky, but it was one of the few GameCube games I loved as a kid. But, about twenty years later, is SSX Tricky still as fun as it was then? Was it only the name and theme song that everyone really likes about this game?  

SSX Tricky does not have a story mode in particular, but the whole premise is basically downhill snowboarding fun. The game is split into races and show-offs. Races are between six competitors, which includes the player, and show-offs are basically trick-making events. The main goal in racing is to get first place. Show-off is to make as many moves as possible to earn first. Simple. Still, each character has a rivalry against another, and if their aggression is strong, they will not hesitate to hit the player. The player can shove other players to get a larger speed boost, but that will raise the aggression of other players. As for the show-off, there are many tricks to pull off, and there also multiplier items flying over certain areas. But, more on the trick system later.  

Do I need to mention the intro? Each character has a moment to shine, while they dance and have fun. And, I'm certain It's Tricky by Run-DMC got a lot more sales after the game came out. Even if the game might have aged graphically, it's still wonderful and vibrant to look at. Each track, character, and board is unique. Eddie is the hipster of the group, while Psymon is clearly psychotic. The tracks take inspiration from a few locations, even some which would possibly never see snow, like Hawaii. If there was a little negative, some of the obstacles are placed in some directions that I often tended to go to. Maybe call it bad luck. And even if It's Tricky is the only song to get stuck inside one's head, the rest of the soundtrack isn't bad. The music changes constantly while the player is in the air for some time. And, it's all accompanied by a DJ who knows how to have a great time. 

Like I mentioned, the game is setup between races and showoffs. A player can customize their racer and board. The controls are executed well, but it takes some time to get used to the layout of some buttons. I used the trick book tutorial to help myself get familiar with the tricks, since I haven't played this game in a while. One button is used to accelerated, while a few others are incorporated into making tricks. If a player makes enough tricks, they can use it for a "trick boost", which increases a board's speed for a short while, and/or even activate the TRICKY meter. The TRICKY meter allows a racer to use the UBER tricks, like the worm. If a player makes 6 UBER moves in a row without failing, then the racer can use the trick boost for the rest of the race. Still, unless there's a moment that one's racer is stuck somewhere, they should beware the reset button or whatever. Doesn't really help when a racer is pulling off a sweet move and then it happens. One thing I noticed is that the flipping and such is kind of slow, and the tracks often don't work with that system. At least during a race. I could say the turning and jumping also felt a little loose too, but maybe it was my character. Not every character has the same stats.  

Put all of that together with satisfying unlockables, and the game becomes a joy to play with. Sometimes, there are random cheap moments, but the game also rewards players for finding shortcuts and secrets in the track design as well. I loved SSX Tricky as a kid, and even though I'm aware there are some things that aren't perfect, the whole of it is fine. I'm disappointed when I sold it years ago, since I still appreciate this game as I did back then. Will I play other games like this? Who knows. SSX Tricky is a fun game to play, even if the snowboarding culture has diminished over the years. And even though it's not in my Top 100, don't let that fool anyone. I still love this game.  

1/16- F-Zero X for WiiU 

I wasn't planning on playing this game till way later, but I think it was SSX Tricky that got me into a racing vibe. It's been months since I tackled the first game in the series, and I thought the game was mediocre. Yes, I said that. I didn't forgive the game's hardcore design, and even though the emphasis on F-Zero was basically survival of the fittest, that doesn't excuse course layout and obstacle placement. However, this is F-Zero X for the Nintendo 64. Surely my complaints about the first game were dressed in the sequel, right? 

Like last time, this game requires the player to use a guide. Seeing how I played this on the WiiU, I'm calling that design kind of weak. But, this game ups the stakes and has thirty unique individuals on the tracks at all times. There might have the same number in the last game, but every car has a distinct racer in this game, and not just the main four riders that return. One of the newcomers is Black Shadow, Captain Falcon's rival in this game. But, out of the thirty racers, only six are playable. Unless there's cheats, that's all. There's three cups, but now there are a total of eighteen tracks, even if some are repeated about twice more. At least the game uses a fair point system, so even though I was fifth once, I had enough races to stay up on top. None of that continue system from the last game.  

Most of the locations from the last game return, but the 3-D spacing allows for more dynamic layouts. Still, even though the obstacle placement is better, some of the narrowness returns, and because of the nature of steering, there's a lot more falling off of pits. And, I think the depth perception is atrocious at times because of a fog effect or the like. But, considering what I went through last time, this game is easier. The soundtrack might not be as good as the last game, but I cannot deny how energetic it is. I love the rock version of Mute City. 

The gameplay is similar to the last game, but I feel like boosting is actually better to use in this game. But, with the pits and walls, I recommend caution. There's also a lot more to do, since the game is a multiplayer game. 

And that's all. F-Zero X is basically F-Zero, but with a good enough improvements. I'm sorry that I don't understand the appeal. I'm not going to play GX. Nope. I heard it's insanely difficult. I'm good here. ... Or maybe I'll play Maximum Velocity. I just feel apathetic to the series.

2/3- DBZ: Kakarot for PS4

About two decades ago, I played a certain GBA game called Buu's Fury. It was the last of the Legacy of Goku series, and I began to hate a little for its grinding elements, and the fact it was just a retelling of the Majin Buu arc. Needless to say, I didn't like the stuff I had to go through to get to the ending. So, in 2020, a new game called called Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot was released. It was like those three games all over again, but now in an over-world 3D setting. AND WITH THE POWER OF THE PS4! But, the problem is that the series has been told countless times since then, and fans nowadays don't just want only the Z series again. Dragon Ball, GT, and Super have released since then. So, was there any necessity to make this game? 

I'll just skip the story. It's just another retelling of the show. The game has collectible pictures of what happened in Dragon Ball, and has certain side-quests that pertain to old characters, but there's not really anything new. 

The game is beautiful during the cutscenes... even if they didn't recreate some moments faithfully, like Nappa's mouth cannon not being present. As for the in game models, they're fine, when they're not in certain frames and close-ups. They're passable. The music itself is about the only highlight of the game, even if I would've wanted to hear more. And as for the voice-acting... it's serviceable, although there's a certain Godzilla game that it reminds me of. (Don't get me started on those horrible loading screens. They make the Z-Encylopedia unbearable!)

The gameplay is also decent. The fighting controls are like the current Xenoverse games', but with a few tweaks. And, sometimes, that's a pain, because sometimes the enemy can envelop super-armor unfairly. The flying controls at times feels too lose, but even though this reminds me of another game, flying to get orbs through hoops feels a lot more manageable than Superman 64's. Do not try the Nimbus and other vehicles. The main draw of the game is to level up and battle. For every fight and level, characters can get certain skills and special attacks, like Super Sayain and the Big Bang Attack. But, the EXP for normal enemies pales in comparison to regular main story fights. And, even making meals and eating can make the gap in levels manageable. Still, the bosses are fun, even though that super-armor crud makes things not fun at times.   

The side-content gets really boring after a while. Most NPCs just need the player to battle the same kind of enemies over and over, or fetch certain materials. And, even those side quests don't offer up too much EXP as well. Some reward the players with these Soul Emblems, which increase certain effects while they're on a certain board, like the Adventure or... Adult community. Yes, this game is a little... ahem... The other stuff, like fishing, and gathering resources just exist. Making meals kind of breaks the game sometimes, but again, one will have so much leftover Zeni/money to buy the same food capsules.

I really wanted to like... no love this game. The problem is that fans of the 2000s have been here before. It's likely to have been made for those of the current generation, but YouTube exists now. They can watch the older episodes or Kai. Heck, even Crunchyroll exists. It's not a bad game. It was just overwhelmingly disappointing.

2/16- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for SNES 

This is one of the best beat-'em-ups and cartoon video games ever. But... ow, my hand playing hard mode. I like the true ending, but I went through heck just to beat this game. It doesn't help that some of the enemies and bosses are either cheap or a lot difficult. Looking at you, crazy turtle and Tehcnodrome Shredder. But, my qualms aside, it is a fun game.   

2/24- Cindered Shadows DLC for Three Houses. 

Good, just not worth the 25$ price range.

2/25- A Hat In Time for Nintendo Switch

Super Mario Odyssey was a juggernaut of 2017 with its open world design. There were a few platformers that year that tried to follow in its footsteps that year. One was Yooka-Laylee, which I heard sort-of failed, and the other was A Hat In Time. Going into A Hat In Time, I thought it was going to be a mediocre game. So, after two years since it came out with new DLC (which I haven't played), what do I think of this indie game?  

The story begins in space. A girl named Hat Kid is planning on going home, when a goon of the mafia accidentally opens the hatch of her spaceship. She, and the forty hourglasses she uses for fuel, land in the nearby planet. She wakes up after a while, and later comes across another girl named... Mustache Girl. She has a mustache. Hat Girl is set on retrieving all of them, and after some events happen, Mustache Girl really wants to collect them herself. The hourglasses have the potential to rewind time, as shown as when Mustache Girl accidentally breaks one herself.  Mustache Girl wants to rid the world of all the baddies, and because Hat Kid says no, hates Kat Kid and thinks she is selfish. So, now it's a race to find the hourglasses. 

The game is cute and cuddly, even when the performance is lacking at times, and the camera can get on my nerves every once in a while. Super Mario Odyssey camera control, it isn't. But, the music fits the four worlds that accompany it. Yes, this game is really short compared to other platformers. Except for Bubsy. But, the characters and the four worlds make up for its length too. I love the second one itself, even if it has a gimmick that I hate in platformers. 

Hat Kid can jump, double jump, slide, and even jump after the slide, like in Super Mario Odyssey. Except, she cannot the hat as another means of jump. Hat Kid can jump from ledges, wall-jump, and can use the slide on the ground and midair as an attack. Speaking of attacking, Hat Kid can use her umbrella to hit enemies with. Now, what about her hats? Hat Kid can equip and use a few hats for basic world puzzles. The new hat she immediately gets allows her to sprint. The hats need yarn to be made, and they're scattered in every world. She can also get badges that do a few other things, like being able to use a grappling hook. And, compared to Super Mario Odyssey, that's all. It's a basic twist on the platforming genre with nothing really complex. 

Although it's a basic platformer, I wish I could say it was great with the level design. Sometimes, getting onto ledges and platforms was a real pain. it was a true trial in the fourth level. The bosses are a bit challenging, but after one gets the hang of their moves, the bosses go down no problem. The final boss, and even last level, uses all of the techniques Hat Kid can use effectively, while implementing genius new tactics. They went down after thirty minutes. Although I won't complete the game and play its DLC, A Hat In Time was definitely a different experience. It's a comfy game, and if one wants a simpler platforming game, then I can recommend A Hat In Time.

3/3- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn for PC 

Okay, so, wow. This will be the first time I ever have defeated the base game of a MMORPG. I never defeated World of Warcraft, DOTA, or whatever else can be a comparison. Until a few years ago, I didn't have a steady income to pay for monthly subscriptions. I was a college student who focused too much on studying to apply for a job. And, I wasn't too much of a fan of the series until around that time as well. I eventually defeated I-VII, with the exception of II, and even Tactics of all things, and I thought that I would beat IX, X, and XII before XIV. (But, IX can wait. I'm not in the mood for it yet). My favorite game of the series will be VII for now, but that doesn't mean I'll find a FF that will surpass it one day. Back to the matter at hand, I was a little hesitant to beat it because I didn't know if I needed prior knowledge of all the games beforehand. Turns out, the games I have defeated were good enough to make me understand the game. So, with all this in mind, how amazing is Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn? 

First, let's get that Realm Reborn subtitle to use. The beginning starts with the old Eorzea completely destroyed thanks to Bahamut Prime (I think). The end. 

...Of the first incarnation game. Thanks to the powers that be, Eorzea exists once more. Years later, new nations are born, but a beast-tribe is bent on waking Primals to destroy the land in their own image. Meanwhile, an empire rises and wages war on the other nations too. The player avatar becomes a Warrior of Light thanks to a big huge divine Crystal, and is told to save the world from ruin once more. And that's the general plot. When it comes to the stories in between, I didn't care. I didn't care about giving a solider some soup or some random emote. I couldn't care less about saving a city from some worthless minions. And I didn't care about retrieving items. Skip. Skip! SKIP! When it came to saving the world on a larger scale, that felt way more important. Because, some of the bosses in this game are incredible. One can even face off against some familiar faces. And, find certain homages to the series too. 

The game is gorgeous, even when it drops in frame-rates at times, and the characters at times emote and express too generically. The music... might not be the best of the series, but it is wonderfully orchestrated. Honestly, it's incredible that this game plays well! 

The gameplay itself it rather complex, so I'll just mention some of the basics. Customization when it comes to creating the avatar is amazing, such as hair color, size, and race. There's a lot of armor and weapons. Grinding is a thing. When it comes to combat speed, it's like FFIV, XI, and XII combined. By that I mean, actions have a cool-down effect, but you can execute some at different times than others. But, enough of that: what is Final Fantasy without... JOBS?! XIV has a total of 15 jobs (thanks to the amount of expansions over the years). Some are really iconic to the series, like the White Mage and Monk, while others are a bit lesser known, like Scholar and Samurai. Trust me, as a person who played THOSE games, I went with Black Mage and Dragoon first. Yes, one can change jobs by simply changing the weapon being held. Still, each class and job is categorized into their respectable uses. White Mages are healers, while Paladins are tanks. And, because of the Duty system, those roles are important. There are missions within the game that require certain party make-ups, so balance is important. Except for a few moments of frustration, rarely did this turn out against my favor. This game is tricky at times, but fair, challenging, and rewarding. Just, don't do the Crafting and Gathering classes, unless one really wants to be a perfectionist. 

And, with the amount of bonus content it gets month after month, this is a Final Fantasy worth getting, right? Yes, but again, I think playing the first seven games (without II), if one can get a hand on those, should be the stepping stones before playing this game. They'll miss out on the references, and think of which job to get based on player preference. Now, what do I think of this game? It can get a little too grindy at times, but the payoff of getting new skills and progressing the story is worth it. As a homage to the series it's based on, it exceeded my expectations for the most part. But, could it be the best Final Fantasy? Only time will tell for what I think of it.

3/14- Shovel Knight: King of Cards for Nintendo Switch

It's been a while since I've played Shovel Knight, but I finally beat the last campaign mode of this game: King of Cards. After playing the mediocre Plague of Shadows, and the great Specter of Torment stories, I wondered how well King of Cards, and King Knight himself, would be. I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh fan since the early days, so I wondered if the card system would hold up to my expectation. 

King Knight wants to be the very best at a card game called Joustice. He roams the lands to become the champion by beating all other players. Basic and simple. But what sells this game is King Knight and his relationship with his mom. His mom still sees King Knight as a kid, while King Knight is going through that awkward phase of not being embarrassed. It's cute, even though what happens in the end is tragic. This takes place before the main campaign. Along the way, King Knight meets other characters who join him, but out of reluctance. And like Specter of Torment before it, there are new stages and bosses to encounter. Not all of the stages require fighting a boss, so that was an interesting change itself.  

Game sounds and looks beautiful. Next.  

Controlling King Knight is similar to that of Wario in the Wario Land games. He has a tackle, followed by a little twirl, similar to the shovel bounce. He gets other abilities, but those two commands are fine on their own. Each stage challenges King Knight on his performance to tackle and twirl, with other gimmicks thrown in as well. Not going to lie, I really hated some of these stages, because sometimes the tackle and twirl are a little bit hard to work with. King Knight can also roll after the tackle, but I rarely used it. 

But, what about Joustice, the card game? Players move cards from one space to another to occupy spaces with gems. Get the majority of gems, and one will win. It seems simple, but each place within the four "regions" have cards which drastically play differently. Most of the cards have an arrow, and moving cards require facing the "back" direction. Cards cannot move with opposite directions, except in certain situations. Although it's a cool concept, I wish the AI weren't so cheap, especially the regional experts. They get to use BS boss abilities. So, it's a good thing there's a cheating system in place as well. Losing really hurts, when the opponent CAN TAKE ANY ONE OF YOUR CARDS. Best advice: don't play with really rare cards. One can buy them back, but the rare ones of course cost the most. And because I like Yu-Gi-Oh... Joustice become the one thing I loved and hated in this game. Now that I finished the game, I won't go back to it. STILL, THANK GOSH IT ISN'T REQUIRED TO BEAT THE GAME. I just did it because of an odd obsession.

King of Cards sadly left a sour taste in my mouth for the end of the first Shovel Knight game. While Shovel Knight and Specter Knight play wonderfully, I wish there was some more playtesting with Plague Knight and King Knight. The overall experience is not that bad. I just can't wait for the next Shovel Knight game now. ... Not that puzzle game thing, the next platformer game.

4/15- Persona 5 Royal for PS4 

Last year, I played Persona 5, one of the greatest games of the last decade. It had perhaps the best plot, the best artistic design, the best soundtrack, the best boss designs, and the best NG+. It is also perhaps the best RPG of all time. So, I was curious how or if the Royal version could top that. To my surprise... yes. 

The Royal edition adds in a few more confidants and another semester. It also expands on a certain important confidant, made a great improvement on the script in a few ways, and adds a good amount of lovely portraits. 

I love the music of the original game, and many of the new songs in Royal aren't half-bad. But, I don't really like the new ambush and opening cinematic music. Sorry, but Last Surprise and Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There can NEVER be replaced. Sure, Last Surprise still plays normally, but ambushing is a huge part of the game. Don't get me wrong, I will forever love the soundtrack, flaws and all. ... Oh, and the game still looks fabulous. 

There are wonderful improvements to the gameplay too. First is the addition of the grappling hook. Its effectiveness is dungeon-exploration deviation and a more effective ambush. Ambushing enemies with the hook also rewards status ailments on enemies.When an enemy or party member is hurt really badly, there will be a prompt to saw “SHOWTIME!”, which involved two characters doing wacky stuff in an odd scenario, where a Shadow is always the victim. The first with Mona and Ann is priceless. Next, after leveling up a confidant, some will call Joker. The answer Joker gives will give more confidant points, which are necessary to get to the next level. Some confidants have new rewards and revisions, making certain rewards faster to get. Joker can now read books in the Cafe Leblanc, after getting rid of the customers. New shadows, attacks, equipment, and items have also been added. You can talk to Caroline and Justine, the helpers to Igor, outside of the Velvet Room. Taking them to different places rewards Joker with skill cards. Speaking about skills, abilities have also been added, which boost many effects of many Personas. A few new locations have also been added, and one is the location of the new confidants and a few new great shops, hang-out areas, and a shrine. Go to that big new city as much as possible, I say with all seriousness. Because of it, the Baton Pass has a bigger buff in battles. Mementos, the most grindy and one of the blandest dungeons in the game, has gotten a bigger overhaul. Not only are there new deviations, but a new character named Jose is collecting stamps and flowers. Joker can find the flowers in Mementos, and can trade them for a various amount of items. As for the stamps, in return for giving them to Jose, he can affect the money, items, and EXP gained in Mementos. If one doesn't like the choices they made, Jose can reset the outcome by being given flowers. Each Palace also have Will Seeds. Collect all three, and they will fuse into a crystal. Give the crystal to Jose, so that he can make powerful accessories. Last is the Velvet Room. After challenging many opponents in the Palaces and Mementos, a siren will go off. The siren will affect the outcome of the Persona fusions and power ups. However, doing too much during the siren time will eventually cause a failure. One can also take part of challenge battles, and the battles against Minato and Yu from Persona 3 & 4 are DLC. They're hard, but they reward one with many rewards. There's more DLC to enjoy too, such as costumes. There might be other noticeable changes to the gameplay that I forgot about, but this expanded version has done so much wonderfully. 

The last greatest bonus is the Thieves Den. One can look at different statues, movies, events, music, art, and even play cards. It's a big thank you for the fans. 

Persona 5 Royal evoked a lot of emotions like the base game did, but they came out more powerful. To appreciate my love for the game, I'll forever hold the steelcase versions of both Persona 5 and Royal. To that, I say... thank you Persona 5 Royal.

5/2- Streets of Rage 4 for Nintendo Switch 

I played the first two Streets of Rage because of a duo that pitted the series against the original Final Fight Trilogy. Even though they're not my favorite games, I will admit Streets of Rage 2 was really close to being in my Top 100. Decades later, fans finally got a fourth game in the series. Even though much has changed since the 90s, the game is thankfully a two-player 2-D beat-'em-up. Still, Double Dragon Neon (from what I'm told) and Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World were some of the best when it came to 2010s standards. With the revival of certain Sega games coming out early this decade, how does Streets of Rage 4 fare? Does the series need to continue on? 

The game begins ten years after Mr. X and his syndicate are no more. Even though peace seemed to be permanent wherever the crew lived, a new organization headed by Mr. X's siblings, the Y Twins, soon takes over the streets. Axel Stone, with the assistance of his old partner Blaze and two newcomers Cherry (daughter of Axel's colleague Adam) and Floyd (a student of Dr. Zan or so), now take it upon themselves to rid the streets of the new threat in town. The plot might seem basic, but there are some genuinely interesting twists. Even though the cutscenes feature only those four protagonists, one can eventually unlock old pals, like Adam. The story can be picked up from any stage, so if one gets a game over, they don't have to play the entire game all over again. As a gamer who hates the "old school game over" mentality, I welcomed this pace.  

Some people might not appreciate the new art style, but I think the style fits perfectly for how much time has gone by. It has a comic book-like design, and the cutscenes do make it stand out as well. The cutscenes do not have voice acting, and are short and skippable. That doesn't mean all the levels are beautifully, because some of them are dreary. When compared to the amusement park ghost part of Streets of Rage 2, it's really unappealing. The music might not hold up to the bops that were in Streets of Rage 2, but I think it fits the whole techno vibe of the 90s. It feels energetic, and that's what I want in a beat-'em-up. 

The gameplay of Streets of Rage is nearly the same, so what has changed? New characters means new gameplay balance. I can't say how they differ, because I so far only played Axel, Blaze, and Adam. Sorry, I wanted to go to my roots when it came to this game. The only thing I think is new are the super moves. In each level, each character starts with only one star, but can collect more as the stage goes on. Press certain buttons, and they'll use a star to do a super move. Against bosses, it is vital. There might also be a combo system too, but pulling off big combos also drains health. The only way to regain health is to beat up more baddies and acquire meals. So, I didn't do those often. 

So, I should say that I think the game is easy, right? No. It has some of the challenging enemy design of the 90s, and falling off means half of the health bar is gone. And, the game is too brutal to play alone. Even with horrible internet randos and lag, I was able to beat some stages, and to an extent, all of the bosses within a day. The game might be B.S. at times, but the game on a first playthrough will be short. Unlocking other stuff will take more time and effort. If you're a fan of beat-'em-ups, simple stories that can be done within a day, and/or cartoony art styles, Streets of Rage 4 is a satisfactory game. It too might not me in my Top 100, but I'm glad I didn't ignore it this year. 

5/10- Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen for DS 

Dragon Quest III was one of the most genuine surprises I played. After not getting into the series for some time for who knows what reason, I think that Dragon Quest III was one of the best retro games I missed out on. About a year later, I finally gave the sequel a try. I thank one of my brother's friend for letting me borrow their DS copy, because Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen is a solid game. 

I think the reason for my appreciation of Dragon Quest IV is how it reminds me of Octopath Traveler, in terms of structuring its narrative. The plot is sliced into a prologue and five chapters. The prologue begins with a child version of the Hero of this game. Everyone from his village is barred from going outside because of monsters. But, he has a childhood lover keeping him company for now. Chapter 1 begins with Ragnar, a knight of Burland. There's news of monsters kidnapping children from nearby towns, so he goes to save them. But, he soon hears about the evil villain Psaro and his desire to rule the world. In Chapter 2, Alena, a princess of Zalenagrad, and her retainers, knight Kiryl and sage Borya, escape her father's castle to save the world from the forces of evil. She and her friends saves a town's women from being sacrificed, heals her father's voice using a certain item, and saves Endor's princess from marrying Psaro by competing in a gladiator tournament. (She doesn't fight Psaro in the finals, and that's perhaps a good thing.) But, she gives a dangerous accessory to criminals in exchange for a woman who pretended to be her, and later discovers that her father and everyone that was in his castle have disappeared! More questions than results. Chapter 3 is a bit unorthodox. Torneko is a merchant who works at a weapon shop, and tends to his wife and kids. A player could pretty much stay on this daily loop for a while, because there is no one from telling Torneko to be a hero or do something else important. Or even LEAVE. His kid does tell him that a man wants to see him, and the man tells Torneko about a treasure, but it's up to the player when things should be different. After getting the treasure, Torneko goes to a nearby castle. The king wants to invade the closest kingdom of Endor, but the prince says that he has a huge crush on Endor's princess. The bridge between the kingdoms has been destroyed, however, and the architect is nowhere to be seen. After revealing the illusion of a mirage town full of trickster foxes, the architect finally returns to work and repairs the bridge, and Torneko gives a love letter from the prince to the princess. The kings agree to the marriage of the lovestruck duo. After receiving permission from the king and paying off the money, Torneko has his own shop in Endor. After some more merchant and treasure hunting work, Torneko gives an elderly man the money to hire workers to dig a tunnel to the east. Torneko's wife says she's fine with Torneko's new adventures, and Torneko takes the new path to the rest of the world. Until I voluntarily decided to leave the town, I thought Torneko's chapter was perhaps the worst and weakest in an RPG setting. In fact, I still think Torneko has the worst motivation in this game. But, he makes up for it by other means. Chapter 4 sets the stage for the darker parts of the plot. Maya, a dancer, and Meena, a fortune-teller, are twins of a late and great alchemist. Their boss tells them it is time to leave the troupe and to track down their father's killer. They also hear that the king of Palais De Leon has been murdered. After some events happen, the twins come across their father's killer and the current leader, Balzack. The twins momentarily defeat Balzack, but a new monster, Marquis de Leon, overpower the twins. The duo escape the castle, and board a ship to a world unknown. Chapter 5 is where things pick up. Psaro and his minions have finally found the home of the hero, and begin slaughtering the townsfolk. The Hero's girlfriend morphs into a copy of the Hero, sends them into a secret underground room, and later dies. Thinking that they killed the real Hero, Psaro and his minions leave the town. The Hero's friends and foster foster family have died. The town is in ruins. The Hero has no choice but to leave and embark his quest to defeat Psaro. But, it will be impossible to do so alone. The Hero will also have to find those whose lives have also been affected by this new evil. Ragnar, Alena, Kiryl, Borya, Torneko, Maya, and Mileena will be in the party eventually, and a caravan will join the group anytime to allow party formation and customization. Compared to Octopath Traveler, I think this structure in this game is a lot better. Because all... most of the main characters' struggles come from Psaro, there this a huge motivation to defeat him. Torneko's reason for joining is actually ridiculous and coincidental. He was just chased by monsters thanks to the tunnel that was made and needs bodyguards. Or something like that. It's not because of revenge or justice. 

I love most of the art design in this game. The human characters are simple, and the monster designs are both simple and unique. Still, some of the NPC like the town men and women models look mean because of their eyes, and some of the city, kingdom, and dungeon layouts seem similar with colors. And, I never had much of an issue with frame rate, but it seemed sluggish in some areas. Last, some of the places allow for 3D rotation, while others don't. This made navigation sometimes annoying. Still, nothing seemed out of place. And, the animations of the attacks from both the monsters and the playable characters are fluid. I think for the DS generation, it's a lot more fluid than any of the Poke'mon games. Thank you, Akira Toriyama! The music in this game is great, even though I wish there was more in terms of dungeons, boss battles, and other areas. There's nothing wrong with the current soundtrack, it's just that I got bored hearing most of it after a while. 

Ragnar, Alena, and perhaps Kiryl are the heavy physical hitters of the game, Kiryl and Mileena are the healers, Torneko's a tank and a random loose cannon at times, and Borya and Maya are the destruction mages. The Hero is the jack of all of them, or maybe queen. But, each one of them have useful abilities inside and outside of battles. Torneko's the only one who can summon monsters, while Kiryl has the only moves that can buff team mates. Even if a player thinks they'll never use Ragnar, Torneko and so on, they'll be thrown into a loop. EVERY. ONE. IS. IMPORTANT. Like what Octopath Traveler did. Speaking of which, the caravan allows for more moments to change party formations than Octopath's towns. And, it allows those not in the main party to use magic outside of dungeons and towns. The change I had to get used to were enemy formations. I don't remember if III did it too, but some enemies were grouped up, while others were by themselves or part of another group. Certain spells and attacks don't hit everyone, so prioritizing who to hit is key. Some battles, including boss battles, were tricky because of this new train of logic. For example, the destruction mages went off against the grouped ones, and the physical hitters went after the lone wolves. That's how I did it at least. The Hero can also be female. I'm not sure how that changes the game, since I never played as the female version.      

Dragon Quest IV can be beaten within a week. That is, if one knows what they're doing, and if they naturally grind. Quite simply, the game does not tell the players what to do for some story beats, and it's annoying to be lost at times. Some of the enemies and bosses are also cheap, and the order of who goes next seems to be random at times. There's not much consistency in battles. Still, even though the last boss is a nightmare, I defeated this game with my characters around the early to late 30 levels. Though, maybe that's because of how EXP and the monster variation are handled. By the time my game ended, some of my characters were more powerful than and had more levels compared to the Hero. Other than that, this game may be a bit short. I know the casinos and the mini-medals were also the biggest parts of this game, but I didn't care much about the collectibles and so on compared to other RPGs. There's also post content in the DS version too, but I'm satisfied with the ending I got. Dragon Quest IV is a fun game. Both III and IV are big highlights of the series from what I can tell. Maybe I'll play V, or VI, or VII soon. 

5/16- Dragon Quest V: Hand of The Heavenly Bride for iOS 

After I played Dragon Quest IV, I thought with Mother's Day still in my mind, and my dad's birthday a week later, I thought it was a great time to play a game about family, Dragon Quest V. But, looking at the physical DS prices, I went for the wallet-friendly mobile port. But, why is Dragon Quest V acclaimed as one of the best in the series? And, has age made this game worse or better at all? 

Dragon Quest V's story is a bit personal. A king is waiting patiently for his son's arrival. The avatar's birth. But, after the queen delivers the son, she is soon kidnapped. The king and his newborn son go around the world to look for his wife and the legendary Zenithian Hero. Yes, the stories of IV, V, and even VI, are connected by Zenithia, a heavenly utopia. Time passes, and the duo return to the father's new hometown. The father is now living his life as a swordsman, and has a friend named Sanchez, who I think is of Latin descent in the international version. (It's in the dialogue.) The avatar, still a child, retrieves an item for a shopkeeper, goes to a spooky mansion with a new acquaintance named Bianca, gets a new interesting pet, and enters the Faerie World to help their people change the seasons from winter to spring. When one think this game gets any more happier... it gets really sad. The father-son duo head off to a castle. The king of Coburg needs his own son to behave, and wants his son to get along with other children. The prince, however, is kind of a jerk. He fools the avatar to fetch a badge from his chest, which is empty, and seemingly disappears from his room. The son eventually finds out there's a trick staircase, and confronts the prince about his actions. The prince is kidnapped, and the father goes to save the prince from his kidnappers. The son decides to follow his father's whereabouts, and soon comes across ruins. He eventually finds his father and the prince. But, things don't go so well, as they are eventually cornered by an evil wizard and his two chess pieces... I mean two commanders. The children are knocked out, and when the father still decides to fight, the evil wizard uses the son as a bargaining chip. Either the father dies... or the son dies. The father has no choice but to die slowly by the commanders' strength. Before he dies, the father tells his son that his mother is still alive somewhere. The evil wizard then takes the children into custody.  

Years pass by, and the two children have now become men. And they are now slaves to a cult bent on resurrecting their evil lord. The prince has regretted everything he did, and wants to make things right. Some stuff happen, and the avatar, prince, and a woman who regrets ever being a part of the cult escape in a barrel to wherever it goes. They wash up near a church. Although the woman stays at the church to atone for her past, the avatar and prince head off to their homes. The avatar's home is ruined, and it turns out the prince's step-mother is now in charge of Coburg. More stuff happens, and Harry becomes the rightful king of Coburg once more. Harry then asks the avatar to resume his father's mission to find his mother and the Zenithian Hero. The avatar later finds his childhood pet again, and arrives at a mansion, where the master will allow anyone to marry his daughter if they retrieve two rings. (The avatar has met the daughter and her sister briefly when he was a child, but I hardly remembered that over Bianca. Speaking of...) After the avatar gets the first ring, he then goes to a village and meets the adult Bianca. The two get the last ring, and Bianca asks the avatar who he really loves. After staying the night at the city's inn, the avatar chooses Bianca, Nera (the daughter up for wedding), or Debora (the DS/iOS exclusive sister of Nera, and basically Kate from Taming of the Shrew). Whoever the avatar chooses, he gets married, and he gets an important item and a boat from the master. The avatar and the bride sail to his father's old kingdom. He is welcomed by everyone, and finds an older Sanchez there too. The king, the avatar's uncle, will allow his nephew to rule if he passes a rite, even if the chancellor is baffled by the king's decision. Still, that's not the only surprising thing. The wife is pregnant! When the avatar returns with the right item, the king begins the coronation, and the wife has delivered twins. During the night, however, like the avatar's father before him, his own wife has gone missing! The whole kingdom is now pursuing the kidnappers. Even though the lovers are reacquainted, the evil wizard ruins their moment. He turns them into stone. A pair of relic thieves or whatever find them and begin to sell the duo. A merchant buys the avatar's statue, while the thieves hold onto the wife's statue. 

More years go by, and an old man accompanied by two kids see the statue. The girl undoes the stone curse on the avatar. The children run around, the avatar might be a bit confused. The children tell him... they're his! The twins finally found their father! But, the mother is still missing. As it turns out, the mother was actually a descendant of the Zenithian Hero. The avatar's son is now the rightful heir to the Zenithian Sword and so on! The evil wizard was kidnapping wives and children to stop the legend from happening when his leader came back. Now, the avatar has to to find his mother and wife, get all the Zenithian Armor and Sword for his son, and stop the return of another demonic lord.  

If there's any parallel story that makes me think of this game, it's Geneology of the Holy War. Even though this game is a bit personal with the avatar, the stakes are much more raised in Geneology, and there's a much darker and serious tone in that one too. The evil wizard isn't as complex as the bad guys in Geneology. The beginning is a lot more cheerier, because not much tragedy has happened to the avatar as a kid. Things seemed to have gotten better as an adult, even though he was robbed of his will, and his friend a kingdom's. That was temporary. And after years of being turned into stone, the kids undo that. There's not much deus ex machina in Geneology to save the day. And I won't say anything about the tragic moments that happened in Geneology, but it's one of the most depressing Fire Emblem games.  

The game in the iOS version borrowed much from Dragon Quest's IV update, so the art design and music are similar. Though, thanks to grinding, I turned off the music for the most part. And, the overworld theme is strange. There's a weird series of notes that sound unnatural. And, I think this game borrowed songs from IV too, and not just the main theme. 

So, what was new in this game that stood out? Boomerangs and whips can be used by mages to attack enemies, so now they don't have to use MP from time to time. Though, those items barely do much against minibosses and bosses. And the big draw of this game is monster taming. The original game did it before Poke'mon came out. So, one just has to battle them, and there's a chance the monster asks to join the party. Seems simple, right? *Flashbacks on hours spent on getting metal slime* Yeah, no. Unlike catching Poke'mon, it's a lot more tedious. Especially for those who think they can run and flee. Also, not every monster in this game is tamable. So, even though the taming mechanism would have been been horrific, it's not work battling metal slime knights and metal slime kings. Just K.O. those guys! I spent days on ONE monster with a horrible tame rate. What I got out of it was... it soloing 1/3d of a really hard boss fight. 

Like V before it, this game does not do well of how to guide the player. As for difficulty, I think because this was even worse because of the new taming mechanic. And I could not count the times I gave the middle finger to the last dungeon. It's not the Crystal of Tower from Final Fantasy III, but it was close. The last boss, Nimrod or whatever, is a worse reveal and has a worse design. And, he was worse to fight by this game's gameplay too. That said, I won't say I regretting paying ten bucks for the iOS port. (Too bad we never got the PS2 version.) It has some really great things about its story, and the taming mechanic was the inspiration of Poke'mon. But, is it better than III or IV? Nope. Like a solid 3rd as of now. As for the next game? Either VII or VIII. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

Posted (edited)

Eliwood8's Games Beaten in 2020

Console: 50

Overall: 50

Full games list:

Spoiler

January:

1. We Happy Few (PS4)

2. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (Switch)

3. Into the Breach (Switch)

4. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4)

5. Donut County (Switch)

6. A Hat in Time (Switch)

7. World to the West (Switch)

8. SpeedRunners (Switch)

9. Valfaris (Switch)

10. Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Switch)

11. Transistor (Switch)

February:

12. Knights and Bikes (Switch)

13. The Outer Worlds (PS4)

14. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Switch)

15. Bridge Constructor Ultimate Edition (Switch)

16. Darksiders Genesis (Switch)

17. Borderlands 3 (PS4)

18. Ghost Parade (Switch)

19. The Witness (PS4)

20. Soma (PS4)

March:

21. Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince (Switch)

22. Felix the Reaper (Switch)

23. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore (Switch)

24. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

25. Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

26. Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl – Gold (Switch)

27. Pikuniku (Switch)

28. Super Crush KO (Switch)

29. Timespinner (Switch)

30. Outer Wilds (PS4)

31. Curious Expedition (Switch)

April:

32. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (Switch)

33. Lost Sphear (Switch)

34. Shovel Knight (Wii U)

35. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Wii U)

36. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Wii U0

37. Feudal Alloy (Switch)

38. Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)

39. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD (Switch)

40. A Case of Distrust (Switch)

41. Vampyr (Switch)

42. Persona 5 (PS4)

43. Trials of Mana (Switch)

May:

44. Picross S3 (Switch)

45. Bioshock (PS4)

46. Wandersong (Switch)

47. Bioshock 2 (PS4)

48. River City Girls (Switch)

49. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

50. Bioshock Infinite (PS4)

Challenge Games Completed:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore (Switch)

Edited by Eliwood8

Posted (edited)

As always, I beat what I beat, when I beat it.

To start the year off I have these in progress

Octopath Traveller

Monster Boy Cursed Kingdom

Trials of Mana

3/13 Luigi's Mansion 3 / Switch

4/7 Trials of Mana *DEMO* / Switch

Edited by purple_beard

Posted (edited)

Games Beaten 2020

1. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) 1/8/2020

Spoiler

81899170_10158010844051660_1750068932531716096_o.thumb.jpg.c11c6fe9b9192b9e323a1e68770cc403.jpg

2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Switch) 

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1579234692668.jpg.be461d646ad2a817fd74aa72dbc11574.jpg

3. NiGHTS into Dreams (Saturn) 3/17/2020

4. Blazing Star (Switch Download) (3/18/2020)

Spoiler

528B9947-EDA0-4BD9-81C3-E22F0F36A65D.thumb.jpeg.56db8ae384ac63b81bc1944b4febe13e.jpeg

5. Life Force (3DS Virtual Console) 3/18/2020

Spoiler

34AF7290-6B12-4D23-BD7B-E6E182EA87C7.jpeg.7f94367e023399c2921a225233f23a67.jpeg

6. R Type (Nintendo Switch) 3/19/2020

7. R Type 2 (Nintendo Switch) 3/19/2020

8. Earth Defense Force (Switch SNES App) 3/20/2020

Spoiler

D610A9B2-75E3-49DC-9860-66F2B89CB68D.thumb.jpeg.d630c9bef92c51b0dcaf338e1f3fc5b1.jpeg

9. Gradius (Switch SNES App) 3/20/2020

10. Popn’ Twinbee (Switch SNES App) 3/20/2020

Spoiler

F10CA2FB-EDA8-470F-80C6-EF566450A936.thumb.jpeg.5689eb0ae482ea5e3280d3930e7be405.jpegF10CA2FB-EDA8-470F-80C6-EF566450A936.thumb.jpeg.5689eb0ae482ea5e3280d3930e7be405.jpeg

11. Steel Empire (3DS) 3/23/2020

12. Super Street Fighter II (Switch) 3/29/2020

13. Street Fighter Alpha (Switch) 3/29/2020

14. Street Fighter Alpha II (Switch) 3/29/2020

15. Road Rash II (Genesis) 4/3/2020

16. Battle Unit Zeoth (GameBoy) 4/11/2020

17. Mega Man V GameBoy (3DS Virtual Console) (4/12/2020))

C: 13

H: 4

O: 17

Edited by Irondog666

Grabbing my spot.  going the motions like usual, only to probably never post again all year like usual, lol. 

The good news is I finally goddamn started Breath of the Wild recently, so I'll be able to post that on here later on down the road.   Though so far I've only made it up to the first of four Divine Beasts.

Posted (edited)

1/8: Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4) 

Hey look at that I'm actually getting an early start this year. I had started this just after the holidays so knew I probably wouldn't finish before the new year, but that's ok it gives me a bit of a head start for 2020. I think I've added Dragon's Crown to a Ninfora Games Beaten thread 2 times before this so not gonna try to not go too crazy about thoughts but still gonna add a spoiler block to save space. 

Everyone talking about their favorite games of the decade is pretty much what prompted me to play this again. Dragon's Crown may not be a super popular fan favorite but it was easily one of my favorite games of the decade. In fact, I'm pretty confident in saying it'd secure a place in my "top 10 of all time" though I haven't really sat down and thought about such a list in awhile. While I do still own the PS3 version I picked up the Pro version because it was only 19.99 digitally. TBH it's half just convenience because I don't always have my PS3 setup, having it digitally is nice too.  

The additions to Pro are light, I knew that going in and honestly the game doesn't feel aged at all anyways. It's stylistic look has aged well  and it's gameplay still feels fluid and fun. Aside from the orchestrated soundtrack, which to be fair is fantastic. This time I went with The Fighter. It's actually weird that I've yet to do a FIghter Playthrough because that's normally the first kind of character I'd play. I think when the game first came out I was hoping some of my other friends would be more down for couch co-op so I held off on using the fighter. That sounds kind of sad I guess but it's never really bothered me. 

The biggest surprise playing it in 2020 nearly 7 years after it's release is that I actually had a pretty easy time finding some other players for the later half of the game when co-op opens up. I was expecting a ghost town, but I actually matched pretty often and quickly with people and even had a couple runs with 4 human players. I'm sure the Pro version helps but even that is already over a year old. Overall I still enjoy the heck out of this game and it's been fun to revisit it again after awhile, especially since my last run was a bit of "cheesing it" where I used higher level NPCs to help get through the game fast. I actually started a new save file this time. I could have transferred my save from the PS3 but decided I wouldn't really gain much from that other than a cluttered inventory and less excitement from gaining new rewards since I held onto a good deal of powerful equipment from other characters runs. 

That was still longer than I wanted it to be, but one final thought: Dragon's Crown would be incredible on Switch. I know it's probably a pipe dream but having it be able to switch between TV and Portable mode would be awesome and the touch screen when portable would be great for clicking treasures and doors.

Igneous42 2020 Games Beaten

1/8: Dragon's Crown (PS4] 

C: 1

Next up will probably be finishing up Three Houses: Silver Snow. I beat the other three path's so close together it's weird that it's taken me so long to get through Silver Snow. Perhaps after three pretty consistent playthroughs I just needed a break. I'm pretty confident that will be the next game I add and hopefully it won't be too long. Though I'm still planning to enjoy Dragon's Crown a bit more so we'll see. 

Edited by Igneous42

Beat: Pokemon Shield, Switch

I too have beaten my first game of the year. As of this post, I have played every Pokemon generation but Generation 2! I should do something about that, you know? 

Also, not that it's much of a scoreboard yet, but I've updated the main post through this post.

Beat: Fitness Boxing, Switch

So I've been playing this one near daily since last May. Not even joking on the near daily part- at one point, I had a streak of more than 100 days in a row playing this game. The game kept track, not me. 

So this is an unusual beat, to be sure, but having previously three-starred every routine in the game, I have now unlocked all outfits. The last of these outfits takes 198,000 punches to unlock, so it's a matter of sheer attrition. I'll still be playing, I just won't have any more in-game presents to open up. 

For those wondering, as of this morning, I'm down 62 pounds. I'm still fat, but I'm that much less fat than I was last May. 

- We Happy Few (PS4)
I was so intrigued when this game was first announced, but the final product is such a disappointment. Even putting aside the noticeably poor frame rate or the fact that the game crashed on me like every couple of hours, the gameplay is just not polished at all. It's clear the developers took a big swing at making a huge, elaborate game with stealth, crafting, varied approaches, survival mechanics, etc., but it doesn't quite come together and ultimately feels like a lot of mediocre ideas instead of a single polished and well-realized idea. It's a shame because I still really enjoyed the setting and characters, but yeah this is a swing and a miss.

- Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (Switch)
Didn't love how tedious the titular lair was, even with a full complement of Beettalion Guards, but otherwise there are plenty of fun side-scrolling platformer challenges to enjoy here.

- Into the Breach (Switch)
I didn't realize just how long I've slept on this game—I thought it came out last year but it was actually August 2018! Anyway now that I've finally given it a shot I really enjoyed it. Took me a bit of time to get used to the game's unique win/lose conditions, but I think I've gotten the hang of it now.

- Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4)
Awfully satisfying to run around knifing orcs in the back, dominating the captains, and generally just being an absolute terror in Mordor. I also really appreciate how fluid the open-world mechanics are—so nice to be able to climb most anything, and quickly too. The story felt a little lackluster, but the gameplay makes up for it.

- Donut County (Switch)
What a delightfully weird little game. I liked it, particularly the humor which is done well—which isn't terribly common in video games—but it is a bit of a bummer that the game is so short with no replay value. Some kind of score/time attack mode might have been nice.

Console: 5

Overall: 5

Beat my first game.  That is Link's Awakening on the Nintendo Switch.  I beat it twice actually. Regular Mode the first time and Hero Mode the second time.  100% on Hero Mode.  It is a great remake to one of my favorite Zelda titles (still not as good as A Link to the Past but it is close).  I am working on several games right now.  I am playing Zelda II on the Switch NES app (never beaten it) and having a difficult time with it to say the least.  I have tried to play it on the original cart (which I do own) but could never get anywhere with it.  I need the save states to have any chance in hell of beating this game.  This is one of those games that if you used a Game Genie back in the day, I really couldn't have knocked you for it.  Over on the 3DS I am doing Oracle of Seasons (another one I never beat, never got to play either Ages or Seasons back in the day).  I really am going to be focusing mostly on my backlog this year.  Obviously, there will be some replays of some favorite games of mine like every year but I am really trying to knock this backlog down.  Back in school and going for my Master's Degree on top of having a Graduate Assistantship Position as a TA, so I am going to be busy with that, but I will make time.  If you haven't added me to backloggery yet the link to it is below.

Beat shitty ass Zelda 2 lol. Wow that was easily the worst Zelda I ever played. I guess as a NES game it is ok but how the fuck anyone beat this on the original NES back in the day is beyond me. I have it on the NES but there was no fucking way that was ever happening on the original console without being able to save wherever.  Still had fun with it but even on the Switch app, it was pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Irondog666

- A Hat in Time (Switch)

It was disappointing to see how poor the visuals and technical performance of this game was on the Switch, but then it was really disappointing when compared to screenshots from other versions.

- World to the West (Switch)
Another game that I've left on my wish list for a long time and finally got around to playing thanks to new year's sales. Ultimately I felt like the gameplay was stretched a little too thin, but I did like the concept of swapping between four characters in an adventure game.

- SpeedRunners (Switch)
Story mode is pretty short, just a standard racing game "beat the AI" sort of thing, but the game shines as an easy to pick up and play party game.

- Valfaris (Switch)
An improvement over Slain, but the super difficult format still left me feeling more relieved that the game was over rather than satisfied by a job well done.

- Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Switch)
It's a shame that this game even bothered with the whole toys-to-life feature because it's a pretty solid sci-fi space shooter and I feel like the concept of purchasing ships/guns really hurt its marketing. It also definitely suffers from some bloated open-world game design but overall it's fun, and I hope Ubisoft continues to make surprising games with Nintendo IPs.

Console: 10

Overall: 10