Video Games Finished in 2020

29 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

And if the question is whether the DLC counts as its own individual beat, I'm fine with that. 

Which means 

I would count this as two beats, as it were. 

I'm trying to be lenient with what counts as a beaten game here, to which I hope no one objects.

I mean, I might list it as a beaten game that way,   I did 100 shrines and went for Ganon on my first play through because I knew if I shortcut to Ganon I might not go back to finish the shrines.  I wasn't going to do the Korok Seeds.... and lacked the motivation for Terrytown (sp?).

I just didn't want to have to start from ground zero unless I just wanted to.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): I've wanted to play this for years. Its appearance on PS+ this month gave me the chance. The one's got some amazing moments. I feel like I would have enjoyed the standout character animation more had I experienced it juxtaposed with the old muddy PS2 textures. This must have been an innovative game for the PS2 era, for a lot of reasons. Still, it pulls some punches during the boss fights- a few of them don't quite telegraph well enough what you're supposed to do and punish you a little too harshly for falling off the monster. Certain boss fights consist of waiting for the boss AI to do the right thing, and it's often made more difficult by the controls' slavish devotion to the character animation. Which again, must have been innovative. But experiencing it for the first time in an era where such detailed animation is commonplace- without sluggish controls- it becomes a source of frustration. Bottom line: Good game, I can see its innovations and it has some jaw-dropping moments, but even on the PS4, parts of it haven't aged all that well. 

9 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

OK, I believe I'm caught up through this post.

Collectively, we're at 69 games beaten, though if everyone is indoors due to coronavirus, that number might be increasing soon. 

Man, its like I want to put some time in on Trials of Mana (via Switch collection) and I am starting up the Crash trilogy but I'm getting such bad cabin fever I can't concentrate on it.  And one could argue I got a bunch of other in-progress games I need to get on with and go back to BotW via my DLC pack....

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (Switch): Still the same game that I know and love, even without the vagina bones.

My “total games beaten” score is going to suck compared to everyone else’s because most of the games I play are massive RPGs. Here’s hoping that the corona virus gives me a chance to tackle some of my backlog.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition - XBox One (via GamePass)

I remember this piqued my interest back when it was first shown at E3 years ago. Giving isolation and just finishing Zelda, figured I'd see what was on GamePass and decided to check it.

What a beautiful game. An artfully challenging platformer with a subtle and beautiful story. Loved every minute.

- Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince (Switch)
Glad the series got back to its roots after the disappointing Trine 3. Letting all players use every character is a welcome addition too—no more fighting over who gets to play Zoya.

- Felix the Reaper (Switch)
I was really pulled in by the game's oddball sense of style, and the puzzle design is decent, but ultimately I wasn't too impressed with Felix.

- Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore (Switch)
Really appreciate being able to speed up sessions; would've appreciated it even more if crafting weapons was also sped up! Still a fun game though, and another proud member of the Switch's RPG ports club.

- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
Gave Golden Deer a try this time, though I also recruited all of the other students, and trying to max out all of the GD students' supports with other students means eating a lot of meals. Kind of wish I had just done GD as my first playthrough for all of its backstory on Byleth and Rhea, but oh well.

- Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
I'd forgotten how cinematic the camera's movements are in this game, which also makes the camera controls kind of a pain to deal with sometimes, but still a really fun game when you get down to stabbin' colossi.

Console: 25

Overall: 25

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 

Shadow of the Colossus 

Castlevania

Golden Sun: Revisiting this one in anticipation of actually finishing The Lost Age. And I experimented a bit more with Djinn setups and discovered new classes and Psynergy I didn't even know existed on my first run years ago. The Golden Sun rabbit hole goes deep, man. Isaac for Smash. 

Been on a Shmup kick for some odd reason lately.  Never been a huge fan of the genre but for some reason I just got into wanting to play some of them. Just beat over a half dozen of them in the last several days.  Star Blazer (awesome Neo-Geo game that you can download on Switch), Gradius, Popn’ Twinbee, Earth Defense Force, Life Force, and R Type I & II off the R Type EX collection.  I have thoroughly enjoyed myself with these.  I am working on Steel Empire (one of my all time favorites and the first Shmup I ever beat as a kid), Kokuga, and Nano Assault EX.  I have a ton of Shmups to play through and the good thing about COVID-19 is I have plenty of time to game. 

On 3/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, Laclipsey said:

Golden Sun: 

What system did you beat this on? 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:57 AM, Irondog666 said:

Been on a Shmup kick for some odd reason lately.  

Were these all beaten on the Switch?

Just data for the running list I'm keeping; thanks. 

- Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold (Switch)
One thing I like about Snack World is the weapon system, and actually that's kind of all I liked about the game. Otherwise it feels tediously grindy and unrewarding.

- Pikuniku (Switch)
Had no idea what to expect of this game but it was on sale for $1 so why not. Truly bizarre but also quite charming adventure/platformer.

- Super Crush KO (Switch)
An excellent combo-driven action game in a stylish pastel package. I also highly recommend the developer's previous game, Graceful Explosion Machine. Just wish these games were longer, but there's a lot of replay value.

- Timespinner (Switch)
Even though I ultimately wanted more out of the time mechanics, the overall Metroidvania adventure was a lot of fun. Really great pixel art too, feels right out of the SNES–PSX era.

- Outer Wilds (PS4)
Decided to try the game based on its critical acclaim, and I can see why it turned heads: the whole game is a simple but engaging approach to exploration and puzzle solving. I'll say though that the stuff that really relied heavily on timing was annoying, first to figure out then to execute.

Console: 30

Overall: 30

Beat: Lonely Wolf Treat, PC 

I believe I am caught up through this post. I notice I had missed one of Irondog666's games beaten (specifically, NiGHTS), and the first post has been updated accordingly. 

Barring any other mistakes, we are at 98 games beaten combined! 

Edited by blcdude1
On 3/24/2020 at 11:24 AM, blcdude1 said:

What system did you beat this on? 

Were these all beaten on the Switch?

Just data for the running list I'm keeping; thanks. 

I been updating the front page post of mine.  Most of them were on Switch.  Steel Empire was on the 3DS of course.  Still haven’t beaten anything new yet. Been turning Amish the last several days and working on my Game Room (building shelves and doing wood projects).