Video Games Finished in 2020

Console

198X (Switch) 1/28/20

Super Crush K.O. (Switch) 1/30/20

Nier: Automata (XboxOne) 4/28/20

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox One) 5/7/20

Fire Emblem Three Houses (Switch) 6/8/20

Edited by K

I have updated through K's post, which also happens to be the 20th game beaten by Ninfora users this year. 

Second, while this was announced in the main post, I am continuing with the Challenge Game of the Month. Just like Whose Line, these points don't matter, but feel free to play along! January's game (as previously announced) is:

oTZ7KRO.jpg

That's right, it's Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore for the Switch, though we'll count the Wii U version as well. 

If my math is right, we are on pace to beat 252 games this year. It's still early, but we'll need to pick up the pace if we watch to match last year's total of 361 games. 

I finished Persona 5 after 3 years of owning it. Lots of getting sidetracked but I got there in the end. The final confrontation was hype but everything after kinda felt like a wet fart. Overall it’s an amazing game, but I walked away unsatisfied I guess? 

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - First game beaten of the new year. I can't believe it's taken seven years for me to see this one through. But I finally did it: I beat my very first Etrian Odyssey. I've loved the series since picking up EOIV at launch in February 2013, and I've continued to play the series over the years,-from EOIII all the way to the Untold duology and EOV- but without persevering through the wall I hit at the very end of EOIV. That final boss was pure evil and it can choke on a flaming buzzsaw. I still have the postgame to look forward to but I'll always remember Etrian Odyssey IV for the sense of wonder it instilled in me. Drawing my own maps was such a new and creative idea, and the core gameplay loop is easy to lose myself in for hours at a time. Its minimalist storytelling made me invent my own character backstories, and gradually unlocking more of the world in my skyship felt like an adventure that was bigger than all of the other EO games. Hopefully it won't take me another seven years to beat the rest of them. 

2/3- DBZ: Kakarot for PS4

About two decades ago, I played a certain GBA game called Buu's Fury. It was the last of the Legacy of Goku series, and I began to hate a little for its grinding elements, and the fact it was just a retelling of the Majin Buu arc. Needless to say, I didn't like the stuff I had to go through to get to the ending. So, in 2020, a new game called called Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot was released. It was like those three games all over again, but now in an over-world 3D setting. AND WITH THE POWER OF THE PS4! But, the problem is that the series has been told countless times since then, and fans nowadays don't just want only the Z series again. Dragon Ball, GT, and Super have released since then. So, was there any necessity to make this game? 

I'll just skip the story. It's just another retelling of the show. The game has collectible pictures of what happened in Dragon Ball, and has certain side-quests that pertain to old characters, but there's not really anything new. 

The game is beautiful during the cutscenes... even if they didn't recreate some moments faithfully, like Nappa's mouth cannon not being present. As for the in game models, they're fine, when they're not in certain frames and close-ups. They're passable. The music itself is about the only highlight of the game, even if I would've wanted to hear more. And as for the voice-acting... it's serviceable, although there's a certain Godzilla game that it reminds me of. (Don't get me started on those horrible loading screens. They make the Z-Encylopedia unbearable!) 

The gameplay is also decent. The fighting controls are like the current Xenoverse games', but with a few tweaks. And, sometimes, that's a pain, because sometimes the enemy can envelop super-armor unfairly. The flying controls at times feels too lose, but even though this reminds me of another game, flying to get orbs through hoops feels a lot more manageable than Superman 64's. Do not try the Nimbus and other vehicles. The main draw of the game is to level up and battle. For every fight and level, characters can get certain skills and special attacks, like Super Sayain and the Big Bang Attack. But, the EXP for normal enemies pales in comparison to regular main story fights. And, even making meals and eating can make the gap in levels manageable. Still, the bosses are fun, even though that super-armor crud makes things not fun at times.   

The side-content gets really boring after a while. Most NPCs just need the player to battle the same kind of enemies over and over, or fetch certain materials. And, even those side quests don't offer up too much EXP as well. Some reward the players with these Soul Emblems, which increase certain effects while they're on a certain board, like the Adventure or... Adult community. Yes, this game is a little... ahem... The other stuff, like fishing, and gathering resources just exist. Making meals kind of breaks the game sometimes, but again, one will have so much leftover Zeni/money to buy the same food capsules.

I really wanted to like... no love this game. The problem is that fans of the 2000s have been here before. It's likely to have been made for those of the current generation, but YouTube exists now. They can watch the older episodes or Kai. Heck, even Crunchyroll exists. It's not a bad game. It was just overwhelmingly disappointing.

2/16- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for SNES 

This is one of the best beat-'em-ups and cartoon video games ever. But... ow, my hand playing hard mode. I like the true ending, but I went through heck just to beat this game. It doesn't help that some of the enemies and bosses are either cheap or a lot difficult. Looking at you, crazy turtle and Tehcnodrome Shredder. But, my qualms aside, it is a fun game. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC

Incredible game. I beat it 8 times this year already.

Halo Reach - PC

Beat this like 7 times too. Waiting for the others...

Super Metroid - Wii U VC

Super Mario World - SNES

I did 11 exit and beat it in under 15 minutes lol. I'm sure I'll play it a few more times this year.

Sonic Adventure 2 - PC

Some of the Rouge/Knuckles levels are garbage but I still like the game overall.

Resident Evil 0 - PC

I like the first two or three areas but after that the game becomes so tedious. The inventory management in this one is a complete chore. On the plus side the graphics are very impressive for the time. Overall I think it's okay.

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion - PC

It was super padded for length but it was cute

Console - 2

PC - 5

Overall - 7

Edited by devilsKnife

- Transistor (Switch)

Love this game's soundtrack and art style. Thought I'd buy the game on Switch since I'd previously played it on PS4 through PS Plus.

- Knights and Bikes (Switch)
Really cute, charming adventure, and I have to shout-out the satisfying co-op game design. It's not just two players doing the same thing or one acting as an assistant; the game is built for couch co-op and it's nice to see that, especially since the Switch makes it so easy to do.

- The Outer Worlds (PS4)
Discussing the game with my brother, we both kind of ended up having the same opinion in the end: The Outer Worlds is a lot of fun but not quite as fun as we expected it to be. It's entertaining, but doesn't have the same "wow" factor as similar games. Though I kind of appreciate how it tries to streamline the typical Fallout/Elder Scrolls adventure—not every game needs to be 60+ hours.

- Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Tokyo 2020 (Switch)
Another mini-game collection that is squarely average. And actually, learning fun facts about the Tokyo 1964 Olympic games might have been the most interesting part of the game.

- Bridge Constructor Ultimate Edition (Switch)
Kind of appreciated the simplicity of the puzzles in this compared to the Portal game; didn't have to rack my brain for hours just to finish a single level.

Console: 15

Overall: 15