Fortuna Office - N4A Chat Thread - January 2020

Chrom

1 minute ago, Tyranogre said:

Sunshine’s actual missions are perfectly fine.

The problem is that 24 out of 120 Shines are locked behind Blue Coins.

they are ignoring the blue coins in this run and most of this game looks not very good

mario comparatively to 64 and galaxy looks like he controls like a drunk man in a windstorm, and inverted aiming and camera controls for shit like the bad pinna park shooting gallery look like literal hell

control in sunshine is waaaaay better than 64. there are some definite janky parts, but it has a really great balance between weight/momentum and ease of control. if there's a scale for that, 64 is on the way-too-much-momentum end—it's very difficult to change course during motion, and stopping can be difficult. galaxy is on the zero momentum, way too much control end, where there's absolutely no satisfaction in maintaining speed while moving and you can do anything out of anything. sunshine has a nice middle ground with very responsive controls that still have satisfying momentum, so i don't know why they'd have a lot of trouble with them. the camera is definitely easier than 64 as well, as you get full control and it doesn't typically prevent you from looking through walls. it doesn't have an auto-steer option, though, so you have to consider it when approaching difficult platforming sections. i personally hate games that force that option, though, so i consider that a plus, although they could have definitely given you more vision through walls than they did.

pinna park is definitely stupid, though, i'll give you that.

edit: i looked at the video, which i'm guessing is the "steal my sunshine" one. skimming around, it doesn't seem like like they're even not enjoying it, just snarking about the silly scenarios. inverted controls when locking in place don't take more than a bit to get used to, even for the people here that don't seem like they've played many platformers. additionally, they comment that they're playing on a TV with delay at one point, and it's pretty apparent in the no fludd levels that they're having a lot of trouble because of that. like not jumping off platforms in time during simple sections (the sand block one, for example), slipping off when trying to turn, etc. it's not a very good way to experience the game

Edited by Pichi

Odyssey is... okay. It was a very well made game but it just felt like it was missing something. It looks beautiful and the controls feet great, but I dunno. 

Also, the fact that there are 857 million moons to collect really made them feel less important. I enjoyed it while it lasted but I don’t feel any need to go back and get everything. 

i never minded blue coins :v
not really much different than any other collectathon macguffin
i like most of Sunshine's worlds, so exploring them a ton was really no problem

special shoutouts to noki bay for the best vibe in any mario game

if only this version was in the actual game

Edited by Pichi

I actually found 100%ing Odyssey not too bad. For instance, I actually did 100% it, vs. Sunshine which I was never able to.

It was super fun, actually, as the challenge rarely felt too cheap. Again as opposed to Sunshine which was plagued with awkward controls, IMO. I still loved Sunshine though.

I've never 100% a 3D Mario game (unless 3D Land counts.) I kinda want to 100% Mario 64, but some of those late game stars are a nightmare.

I'm almost done with my fifth playthrough of Tales of Symphonia. Noteworthy of this playthrough is I've started branching out to playing other characters besides Lloyd. Zelos/Kratos, Regal, and Presea are pretty fun. I'm going to try doing the Abyssion/Devil Arms quest, and getting the cooking mastery titles for some characters.

SM64's controls I enjoyed the momentum a lot more and never felt like I lacked any control while playing it, while SMS felt loose enough that precision jumps felt far less comfortable unless you had the FLUDD, which in and of itself felt janky af if you were doing a lot of sideflips where there were awkward momentum shifts to control.  I wouldn't even call the camera controls worse because while the camera can suck hard ass in SM64, it remains fixed at convenient angles most of the time and the levels in general have far less geometry to get caught on things than Sunshine's free-form camera.  The Boo House in SM64 felt awkward as Hell playing through at times but Siren Beach's hotel was a complete shitshow because of how bad the camera could be.

And I don't know how you can gauge their opinion of a game skimming 30 to 40 hours of footage when two of them loved the game when it came out and the other two never played it but played every other Mario platformer, but idklol.  Barring maybe Alex they're enjoying the game but think it hasn't aged well. 

I enjoyed the idea of blue coins but my grievances came from the fact that there's no indicator of which ones you've collected already while some are only accessible depending what Episode of the level you're playing, which made keeping track of which ones you've collected a complete shitshow.  To this day I'm at 119 Shines with one blue coin missing and I just know what level it's in but I have no indication of what episode it's in or where lol.

Odyssey's great but I wrote a thing where I yelled about how many problems I had with the game.  I think playing straight through the story mode and all the levels the game is fucking fantastic, but I think you see mostly everything the game has to offer in doing so.  There's absolutely nothing enticing me to go back and collect every moon and I got bored at around 300 or 400, which meant I got maybe a 100 or 200 more than what was necessary to beat the game and most of the Moons felt more like busywork or filler than interesting challenges tailored around getting them.  I can only pound shiny spots on the ground, stack goombas who want to fuck, catch rabbits, or chase musical notes so many times before I question how much fat could've been cut out of the game in favor more interesting challenges.

Just now, ace said:

I will say Steal My Sunshine was a great feature. Burgle My Bananas was a good time as well.The fact that they actually sent that N64 to Antarctica is amazing. 

giant bomb is pretty great 

Mario Party Party is what made me pay for a sub, it was an absolute delight to watch.  Die Another Friday has also been very entertaining.

shout out to burgle my bananas: a feature for such a shitty game that of course it ends with the console being shipped to antarctica

While no one could fill Ryan's shoes, Dan was such a great hire for GB that helped fill that void.  Who else can convince Jeff to play SMB 3 while on a roller coaster. Shepherding so much great content for the site, I thought for sure he'd be a lifer, so the jump to wrestling and out of games in general was shocking (though for anyone who knows Dan, going to work for the WWE is not shocking in the slightest).

Edited by Isotope