Fortuna Office - N4A Chat Thread - January 2020

Chrom

5 hours ago, Pichi said:

no idea what you're talking about
the internet doesn't even know what you're talking about apparently

If I remember correctly, basically back on NS1 Falawful was studying at Digipen and had been learning Wii dev tools so he was eventually planning on making his own Wii game called Nessyril that he posted all these different designs about.  Years later on NS2 I asked what happened to it and apparently it became a short story instead of a game...

Edited by Terranort

>get job

>work hard

>earn money

VS

>go to college

>pay money

>work hard

>earn a piece of paper

>pay more money

>work harder

>earn another piece of paper

>get job

>work hard

>earn less money than you had to pay in order to work hard in order to get those pieces of paper

Post-secondary education is a tricky topic. On the one hand, you can learn or at least temper important skills like critical thinking while expanding your knowledge in a certain field. On the other hand it’s expensive and there’s no guarantee of a job after school.

But it’s important to examine the alternative as well. Not going to post-secondary school in this day and age has its own share of risks: you are not guaranteed a job without school, either, so the American Dream mentality of “work hard and get somewhere” doesn’t automatically work. Also there isn’t an automatic correlation between “work hard” and “get promoted/raise”. Most companies operate on the burnout principle these days: you are expected to work hard to keep your job, not to move ahead. Without school, you simply lack relevance as far as I can understand most companies see things. You’re just a cog in the machine if you’re not going to play the game.

I can go on but basically my point is this: there is no guarantee of success no matter what you do, but school increases the odds of a better result in the end. You can also start working and do schooling later or concurrently to working, which is what many people do these days.

College/University isn't for everyone, and isn't necessary for a lot of jobs. Also, it's not the easiest to determine its "worth" when comparing USA to pretty much any other country due to the differences in tuition. I went to one of the top business schools in Canada and got a university degree for about $22,000 CAD. Some schools that barely covers a year for an arts degree.