Your personal GOTY for the past decade

Tyranogre

Saw this idea on Twitter, thought it might be fun to do my own.

——————

2010: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

2011: Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy

2012: Xenoblade Chronicles

2013: Fire Emblem Awakening

2014: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

2015: Xenoblade Chronicles X

2016: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

2017: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

2019: Fire Emblem Three Houses

Overall game of the decade: Xenoblade Chronicles.

2010: Metroid: Other M

2011: Pokemon Black

2013: Grand Theft Auto V

2014: Mario Kart 8

2015: Super Mario Maker

2016: Metroid Prime: Federation Force

2017: ARMS

2019: Pokemon Sword

Game of the Decade: Xenoblade Chronicles 

2000-2009 is a much better decade, and those experiences made up a majority of my gaming this decade. My personal GOTY for 2019 isn't even Pokemon Sword, but 2006's Clubhouse Games which I got for Christmas. 

Edited by IU

2010: Poke'mon HeartGold and Soul Sliver/ Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (I retroactively beat Bayonetta. I think this year was just decent.)

2011: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D/ Poke'mon Black and White (I have yet to defeat some of the games that came out this year!)

2012: Kid Icarus: Uprising/ Poke'mon Black 2 and White 2/ Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Perhaps the most abysmal year of the decade for video gaming, if this is all I got. Even if the WiiU came out.... I wasn't much of the Operation Rainfall thing, but...)

2013: Fire Emblem Awakening (But, that doesn't come close to how much fun the year was!)

2014: Poke'mon ORAS/ Kirby: Triple Deluxe (But, there were other gems of the year, too!)

2015: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D/ Xenoblade Chronicles 3D/ Dragonball Xenoverse/ Super Mario Maker/ Splatoon (It was just a very basic year. Nothing really fun.)

2016: Overwatch/ Kirby: Planet Robobot (At least the games are getting better.)

2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (By far the second best year!)

2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (The best!)

2019: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake/ Fire Emblem: Three Houses (The third best!)  

Best Game of the Decade: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild/

Best New IP of the Decade: Xenoblade Chronicles. 

My favorite years of the decades, in terms of video games! 

10. 2012 (The poor launch of the WiiU, ladies and gentlemen!)

9. 2010 (Some gems, but hard to find ones.)

8. 2011 (The launch of the 3DS, which was okay at the start.)

7. 2015 (Some good, some bad.)

6. 2016 (At least it got better!)

5. 2013 (The 3DS and WiiU got better games.)

4. 2014 (It was arguably because of the high quality of games around then, not just the 3DS and WiiU!)

3. 2019 (The Switch had another killer year, but the revivals of other games helped too!)

2. 2017 (The Switch's launch, among other things!)

1. 2018 (I think it was just an incredible year to be a gamer!) 

Edited by XLW

okay this is gonna be a bit different for me because I stopped keeping up with game releases in the 2010s lol

2010: League of Legends and Minecraft ate all my time. But fuck League so I'm choosing Minecraft.
With a brief interlude in the summer to hype the fuck out of the upcoming Black/White release.
I wanted to play the leaked Japanese rom so bad but I didn't have a flashcart and my laptop was too shit to run Desmume. Which means my 2011 is:
2011: Pokemon Black/White. Otherwise 2011 was also mostly League so... yeah...
2012: In the beginning of 2012 I got into speedrunning, and since it blew up over the course of that year super hard (and even more so in 2013), it wins by default.
I guess a real answer would be Dark Souls.
2013: Animal Crossing babyyyyy. I couldn't play New Leaf in 2013 actually because my 3DS got stolen but fuck that
2014: Guilty Gear Xrd
2015: Splatoon and Undertale there's no way I can pick between these sorry
2016: Enter the Gungeon
2017: A Hat in Time. Amazing game, even better than I had hoped when I backed it four years prior. Breath of the Wild is runner up.
2018: Under Night In-birth Exe:Late[st]
2019: Ultra Fight Da! Kyanta 2. realest fighting game of all time
2020: Look it's gonna be Animal Crossing I don't even have to wait

1 hour ago, IU said:

2000-2009 is a much better decade, and those experiences made up a majority of my gaming this decade. My personal GOTY for 2019 isn't even Pokemon Sword, but 2006's Clubhouse Games which I got for Christmas. 

For me, I've gotten into a retro groove since... maybe 2016. Most of my time until college ended was playing the newest games. But, I think there's more of 90s and 00s games (and their remakes) than 10s games on my "best of" list. I'll release it soon. Hopefully. I even surprised myself by playing some classics I thought I would never beat.  

@Pichi- Forgot Undertale was 2015. I didn't finish it till this year, I think. Maybe it was because there was too much hype for my liking.

Edited by XLW

2010: Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

2011: Radiant Historia

2012: Xenoblade Chronicles/Kid Icarus Uprising

2014: Super Smash Bros 4 

2015: Bloodborne

2016: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

2017: Nier Automata/A Hat in Time/Xenoblade 2 (It was a good year.)

2018: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

2019: Pass on this one for now, at least until I finish Astral Chain and Bloodstained, and muster up the willpower to give Three Houses a chance.  

Game of the decade: Xenoblade Chronicles. Even pitted against other games that made an impression on me, this one is special. That is really hard for me to say, given the competition, but there it is. 

Edited by Laclipsey
I'm terrible at picking a single game for things like this so I'm going to cheat a little bit and include a runner-up each year:

2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2
(Red Dead Redemption)

2011: Batman Arkham City
(Mass Effect 2)

(The Last Story)

(Bioshock Infinite)

2014: Bravely Default
(Dragon Age: Inquisition)

2015: The Witcher 3
(Xenoblade Chronicles X)

2016: Overwatch
(Fire Emblem Fates)

2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
(Super Mario Odyssey)

2018: Octopath Traveler

(Marvel's Spider-Man)

Spoiler for my GOTY picks coming Monday!
2019:
Fire Emblem Three Houses (yeah you probably already knew this one)
(Dragon Quest XI S)
Game of the Decade is even harder to decide! I guess I'll have to go with Breath of the Wild.

I'd have to dig for some other years but....

2017 would have been between Zelda BotW and Super Mario Odyssey.  I'd probably go BotW overall though.  That said, I think where Zelda expanded its repertoire, Odyssey seemed like they left some stuff on the shelf and didn't fully complete some parts of the game.

2018 for me would be tough between Smash Ultimate and Octopath Traveler.  Such distinct games.  Such distinct differences but equally entertaining.

2019 for me ....honestly.....  Aside from Smash DLC being really interesting and upgrading the game which might actually make it my 2019 GotY based on content I could only really offer Mario Maker 2 and the next choice.  Luigis Mansion 3 for me still kind of early in the process of playing for me to place it just yet.  I mean, I just got it for Christmas LOL.  Another game I'd consider in the convo for myself would be Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled.  The tracks, the free DLC updates, and the content overall make it the next best kart racer to Mario Kart 8DLX.

• Chrom featured this topic

This is a cool idea!

2010: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

2011:  Infamous: Festival of Blood

2014:  Bayonetta 2

2015: Xenoblade Chronicles X

2016:  Super Mario Maker

2017:  Breath of the Wild

2019:  Super Mario Maker 2

Overall:  Breath of the Wild - Such an awesome game.

Here’s my favorite games of the 2010s:

2010: Pokémon Soul Silver

2011: Portal 2

2012: Halo 4

2013: Runner 2/ Animal Crossing: New Leaf/ Rayman Legends (Can’t pick 1, lol)

2014: Shovel Knight 

2015: Super Mario Maker

2016: Doom

2017: Super Mario Odyssey

2019: Resident Evil 2

Overall favorite game of the 2010s: Shovel Knight. Such an amazing indie game! 😊 

This was really hard not because there was so much I wanted to define a year in gaming up to this point but I can't remember what games I played up to five years ago.

Well here it is by my shaking memory and all.

2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2

2011: Skyward Sword

2012: Kingdom Hearts: 3D

2013: Grand Theft Auto V

2014: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

2015: Splatoon?

2016: Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations

2017: Breath of the Wild

2018: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

2019: Fire Emblem: Three House (I was gonna write Fates again for some reason)

My overall game of the decade is: Breath of the wild

• 3 weeks later...

2010: Fallout New Vegas

2011: Dark Souls

(Portal 2)

2012: Journey

2013: Metal Gear Rising

2014: Mario Kart 8

2015: Bloodborne

(The Phantom Pain / Splatoon / Undertale)

2016: Dark Souls 3

2017: Nier Automata

(A Hat in Time / Breath of the Wild)

2018: Subnautica

(Deltarune Ch. 1)

2019: Resident Evil 2

Game of the decade: Dark Souls

Here’s mine:

2010- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky

In terms of hours spent, this was the first time I tracked my game stats given how much time I invested in this one game. My first entry into the series.

2011- Skyrim

Wanted to say Portal 2, but honestly I sunk more time into this game than any other, maybe ever.

2012- Pokémon Black/White 2

I didn’t like this generation in general, but I can’t deny the sheer amount of love I had for this one, especially the post-game. I did like Mass Effect 3 surprisingly, but I will give Pokémon my support.

2013- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

This was a really good year for games, in my opinion. It was really hard to pick one, but I go with Zelda because I loved everything about this outing; the setting, the plot, the not subtle homage to my second favourite Zelda game (LttP)... Everything. Close second was Ni No Kuni, which says a lot since I rage quit that one.

2014-  Bravely Default

I wanted to go with the Hoenn remakes here but honestly, this one easily goes to BD. I felt it was a fairly refreshing formula and take on the whole “chosen one” trope. Maybe not perfect but I appreciate what they were doing with it.

2015- Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

I sadly did not play many games this year, so this was kind of a default pick. But specifically I chose it for the plot. For a Pokémon game it was excellent, a common theme for this sub-series.

2016- Pokémon Go

Another tough year, lots to choose from. Wanted to pick something more interesting overall but let’s be honest: this was a huge phenomenon and despite it losing peoples attention over the years, I still play it.

2017- Breath of the Wild

No question, although Odyssey was a close second.

2018- Super Smash Bro’s. Ultimate

Wanted to say Ys VIII due to how much it gripped me, but honestly Smash takes my pick as it got me hyped for the series again, and broke even more ground than before.

2019- Dragon Quest XI S

This is a hard year for me because so many of the games I liked or even played were Switch versions of games that came out earlier. Some of these I am still finishing too. But for those I completed, DQXI is the best. I feel it is ok to put it here because this is the “definitive” version.

Game of the Decade: Breath of the Wild

I know other games broke more ground and were arguably better in certain areas, but I may never again feel so hyped for a game and then feel actually just as cathartic when it releases. This is it for me this decade, the height of my joy in gaming.

Edited by DranSeasona