Pokemon concept I created for Halloween: Just looking for input

Marxforever

Hello, all.

Like the title says I made these guys for Halloween. It's actually my first attempt at trying to replicate Ken Sugimori's style. Or at least his GBA to DS era style. It seems to have changed a bit again, though not nearly as jarringly as when he first made the jump to digital. It's deceptively complex, it took me an embarrassing amount of scrutiny and reading of guides, and case-studies, online just to get to this point. I actually made this to post on Reddit since it's usually a great way to get a wide array of feedback on your work quickly. Unfortunately, I should've read the rules of r/Pokemon subreddit a bit better, since they don't allow any Fakemon that aren't based on pre-existing ones. So my post was quickly removed. In any event, before I move on completely from this and banish it to the void that is my Deviantart, I thought I'd share it here. Geez, it feels like ages since I've made a topic here. Even though I do lurk regularly.

pokemon_concept__pumpkitt_and_jack_o_uar

Here's a direct link to it's Deviantart page if you won't to see it at full resolution.

Edited by Marxforever

Those both look amazing and is a really nice flora/fauna combo for that typing. I really like how you have the scarred eye portion from Pumpkitt's jack of lantern becoming the face mask for Jack O Uar. Even the naming scheme seems exactly like the kind of pun/play on words that they would actually use and it's a clever use of them, too. Not sure if it was on purpose or not as maybe I'm just seeing what I want to, but the markings on Jack O Uar's fur almost look like little fire symbols too.  Their abilities are also pretty cool, especially brush fire.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, Pichi said:

they look really cute and the concept is neat. i'm not really good enough to give you valuable criticism.
i'm sure there's another one you can post it on. like a general gaming page or art subreddit

Thanks, Pichi.

I was considering posting it to r/gaming, but decided against it since a lot of non-pokemon fans probably wouldn't care. And I feel like fanart posts are mostly seen as annoying as is. I've been told it's considered "easy to vote on". That's the reason r/Smash changed their upload policy anyways. I guess I could try to uploading it to the art board. But I feel those are for really exceptional work. You know? Art, with a capital "A".

15 hours ago, Kezay said:

Those both look amazing and is a really nice flora/fauna combo for that typing. I really like how you have the scarred eye portion from Pumpkitt's jack of lantern becoming the face mask for Jack O Uar. Even the naming scheme seems exactly like the kind of pun/play on words that they would actually use and it's a clever use of them, too. Not sure if it was on purpose or not as maybe I'm just seeing what I want to, but the markings on Jack O Uar's fur almost look like little fire symbols too.  Their abilities are also pretty cool, especially brush fire.

I gotta admit, I started with the Type Combo and went from there. I really wanted to make a Fire/Grass work, and tried to think of a way to bring those two diametrically opposed types together in a somewhat sensible way. Though, if I'm being completely honest, I think I'm the most proud of Jack-O-uar. Maybe a little too proud of that, lol. As for the marking, you're close, man. I wanted him to have some form of spots to work off of Jaguar, but I wanted to make them (hopefully) thematic and less random, so I was going for traditional Jack-O-lantern eyes. You know, the triangles with the little pupil?

Edited by Marxforever
57 minutes ago, Marxforever said:

Thanks, Pichi.

I was considering posting it to r/gaming, but decided against it since a lot of non-pokemon fans probably wouldn't care. And I feel like fanart posts are mostly seen as annoying as is. I've been told it's considered "easy to vote on". That's the reason r/Smash changed their upload policy anyways. I guess I could try to uploading it to the art board. But I feel those are for really exceptional work. You know? Art, with a capital "A".

I just glanced at r/gaming and there's a post with 92k upvotes of a screenshot of somebody's Twitter joke, even though they specifically have a rule against that.
I think you're fine lol. That's probably the best place to post it. If it gets popular, you might get a few people complaining who spend their entire life on that site, but nobody else is gonna care.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 4:31 PM, Pichi said:

I just glanced at r/gaming and there's a post with 92k upvotes of a screenshot of somebody's Twitter joke, even though they specifically have a rule against that.
I think you're fine lol. That's probably the best place to post it. If it gets popular, you might get a few people complaining who spend their entire life on that site, but nobody else is gonna care.

After mulling it over I decided to post it to r/gaming.

It kind of blew up.... And I'm getting tons of useful advice and discussion. So thanks for the suggestion., Pichi.