Why wasn't there any really big announcements at the Game Awards

Vector

Everyone seemed to have some big expectations for the Game Awards, especially for a rumored batman game, and the 5th Smash DLC fighter. However, all we got was a quick reveal of the next Xbox, a Fast and Furious game, and some  other stuff nobody really cares about. There really wasn't anything of substance in terms of announcements. Why do you think that is?

I think you should speak for yourself about “nobody” caring about the other smaller reveals, honestly. I am super stoked that Bravely Default gets another entry, and I know there is a following for No More Heroes. That refugee game is a neat idea, too.

Besides that it was obviously light on reveals (not much “heavy hitters” if you want to say that much), it did exactly what it sold itself as being. An awards show. Why does it need to have a bunch of announcements? It’s not E3 or a “Direct”, all of these YouTube channels making random predictions holds no actual weight in the industry. If people are disappointed that’s understandable, but it’s a mistake to analyze this as a “failure to deliver”. This is just a silly awards show. We really should have saved the hype for actual showcase platforms rather than making assumptions about this thing.

I pretty much agree with everything DranSeasona said.  The VGAs has had big announcements before and even last night had some fairly significant announcements as well.  You really can't discount having a next generation system and two next generation games revealed considering that's the kind of thing that is expected out of E3 if not a specialized event put together for such a reveal.

Personally, I enjoyed the VGAs. My favorite part being the absolute masterful swerve that was an updated look at No More Heroes 3.  I really cannot wait to play that game.  The only real disappointment I had being that they closed out on a rough looking Fast and the Furious game that looked like a terrible crossover of Twisted Metal and Vigilante 8 while Michelle Rodriguez and Vin Diesel tried their darndest to be genuinely excited about the whole occasion.

4 hours ago, Vector said:

Everyone seemed to have some big expectations for the Game Awards, especially for a rumored batman game, and the 5th Smash DLC fighter. However, all we got was a quick reveal of the next Xbox, a Fast and Furious game, and some  other stuff nobody really cares about. There really wasn't anything of substance in terms of announcements. Why do you think that is?

Are you disrespecting Bravely Default II?

giphy.gif

Like Dran said though, it's first and foremost an awards show, not a vehicle for game announcements. There really isn't much reason to expect it to be one huge reveal after another, and anyone who does is needlessly getting their expectations up.

And revealing the next Xbox really is a big deal, even if it's not a full rundown of specs, launch games, and release date; you can't just brush aside the biggest reveal of the night and then say there weren't any big announcements.

There was that other Telltale Batman that was briefly showed, but as to the rumored game I’m guessing people meant the long rumored new Arkham title. Knew that wasn’t gonna show up though, despite some suggesting it.

Already said my piece on fighter #5 in the Smash Ultimate thread. But yeah, some of you were just expecting too much.

38 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

There was that other Telltale Batman that was briefly showed, but as to the rumored game I’m guessing people meant the long rumored new Arkham title. Knew that wasn’t gonna show up though, despite some suggesting it.

That was actually The Wolf Among Us 2. A wanted sequel from those that played or experienced the first one with its original story.

28 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

NOT 👏 EVERY 👏 MAJOR 👏 GAMING 👏 EVENT 👏 NEEDS 👏 TO 👏 HAVE 👏 A 👏 SMASH 👏 ANNOUNCEMENT 👏

giphy.gif

I'm not upset just more disappointed overall at the TGA and that's weird saying that when we all know how these game award inception was so I feel like this is a yo-yo effect happening here. Last year was awesome and this was meh to good depending who you asked. I think it could of been great if paced better like a award show should be about the awards and not what exciting thing to reveal but since this is what it is pace the announcement better like why end with rough looking Fast & Furious game. I like the series and the actor and characters but neither the TGA or to me the franchise that is Fast & Furious deserved that. If the game didn't look rough then I'd be more excited by it and wouldn't of mind it ended like that.

They honestly should of ended with the XBOX Series X reveal, that's what I mean by pacing better and maybe then this years TGA wouldn't feel so underwhelmly like.

Nintendo overall sort of dropped the ball. I like the NMH 3 and BD II trailer and oh yeah the DLC pack 2 reminder for MAU 3. That's that was show for Nintendo. They won fighting game of the year with Ultimate, nice and Luigi's Mansions 3 really did deserve the family game award. With that said I feel whenever their direct fall next year January or February, (this year direct started off in February and not the usual January) Nintendo better bring it imo. Like the year next is not looking too bad but they gotta have more than what we know for BD II, NMH 3 and AC. Also, a part why ppl may feel upset with Nintendo is how they treated past years with TGA painted a picture of unrealistic expectation. I'll admit I got caught up in it but Ilike I said not upset just disappointed in about the show and more so Nintendo.

I imagine anything heavy hitting is planned for actual presentations centered around announcements rather than an awards presentation. I was curious to see if anything was announced that I would care about and nothing really was, but I have checked out the trailers for both Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3. Both I felt were fine to solely focus on given the stage, being not a Direct, so I'm not bothered at all. Channels are rumor, speculation and expectation heavy for the sake of having something to discuss for steady content. I'm glad this year I didn't pay them any attention after their Metroid Prime Trilogy HD flop last year. 

Yeah, and I think now the Prime trilogy would more likely come out as individual three games if they ever come to the Switch, with how shy Nintendo is to collections/sets nowadays.

edit: This is a more interesting take. Guess I forgot Nintendo had that much more presence at previous TGA's, so there's at least some good reason to have been disappointed with this one.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Maybe it's a bit of Nintendo's fault for hyping how we show watch it in a way. But we did get a number of pretty cool smaller announcement, especially the reveal of Bravely Default II.

Still, the biggest surprise for me, with a bit of background is not just the reveal of The Fast and Furious: Crossroads, but WHO is involved in it. Tigon Studios, a game company founded by Vin Diesel himself, who has been around ever since the first Fast and Furious game that came out at the arcades. Every F&F game adaptation, I've always found it bizarre that they were never involved. So I'm just happy they finally got the chance to get involved. Like they did for The Chronicles of Riddick with Starbreeze, and that turned out well. So I hope their work with Slightly Mad Studios (Project CARS, Need for Speed: Shift) turns out well too. Also, I haven't seen a F&F film since the fourth one. But I'll be willing to check out the game when it comes out.

Edited by avalonknight

Y'all keep saying this is "first and foremost an awards show." Honest question, does anybody actually care about the game awards themselves? Do they carry any weight with anybody? Obviously the show positions itself as the video game analogue to the Oscars but I don't see it having that level of prestige, maybe in part because it also functions as a secondary E3 for big reveals from the major companies. You can't be the Oscars while also being the hype train for future Microsoft and Sony products. It's too blatantly commercial for the awards to mean anything, so in a way I think it's fair to treat it the same as E3 since the commercials are truly the most important part of the show. People don't even talk about the awards when there's a big reveal to talk about instead.

9 hours ago, Young P said:

Y'all keep saying this is "first and foremost an awards show." Honest question, does anybody actually care about the game awards themselves? Do they carry any weight with anybody? Obviously the show positions itself as the video game analogue to the Oscars but I don't see it having that level of prestige, maybe in part because it also functions as a secondary E3 for big reveals from the major companies. You can't be the Oscars while also being the hype train for future Microsoft and Sony products. It's too blatantly commercial for the awards to mean anything, so in a way I think it's fair to treat it the same as E3 since the commercials are truly the most important part of the show. People don't even talk about the awards when there's a big reveal to talk about instead.

The TGAs carry about the same weight with me as the end of year awards that various gaming media hold for themselves.  That is to say, it's cool to see what games are ultimately chosen but won't really impact one way or another on what my personal accolades would be.  It's kind of funny because a lot of people went into the TGAs expecting Death Stranding to sweep and I think it won one, maybe two awards.  But that's beside the point; while the TGAs can have exciting announcements which has been the case for Nintendo as well I've never treated it the same way I would treat a Direct or E3.  From those shows I expect to see what the upcoming lineup will be or for there to be a surprise for a future game announcement that may extend out beyond the current quarter or even next quarter's release schedule.  It's like with some such as DL saying earlier that Nintendo really has to bring it with the next Direct because of his disappointment with their lack of announcements at the TGAs. It's tough to have that expectation when it's really not the kind of platform where an entire lineup of known and unknown content is being revealed for any one publisher.  That's literally the kind of expectation I'd have from a Direct or E3 that I wouldn't expect out of the TGAs which may or may not offer up a surprise or two.

On 12/14/2019 at 12:09 AM, IU said:

I imagine anything heavy hitting is planned for actual presentations centered around announcements rather than an awards presentation. I was curious to see if anything was announced that I would care about and nothing really was, but I have checked out the trailers for both Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3. Both I felt were fine to solely focus on given the stage, being not a Direct, so I'm not bothered at all. Channels are rumor, speculation and expectation heavy for the sake of having something to discuss for steady content. I'm glad this year I didn't pay them any attention after their Metroid Prime Trilogy HD flop last year. 

This will always be an annoying problem and is part of the reason I don't really like watching gaming events while being on things like discord or having the youtube chat up.  Whether by looking too much into rumors or building up their own expectations without much merit, the worst part of a gaming event comes at the end.  It's the moment when those rumors don't pan out and you get days worth of people dumping on Nintendo for not announcing the game that they expected they would announce because they drank too deeply of some youtuber's or twitter user's rumor kool aid.

• Chrom featured this topic

I'll admit I and most folks put too much expectations on the TGA for Nintendo especially. Like Kezay, there's no definitive precedence outside 3 TGA years in a row between 2016 - 2018 Nintendo brought some real heavy hitter reveals. (mentioned in that video I posted here, also notice those years is when the Switch launched too) Like direct which for a few years now, I know to temper my expectations. I have to do so for Nintendo, at the end of the day they do whatever they like and the platform to delivery news is usually their directs but at the same one should not put so much stick into those as well.

Lesson learned for me with the TGA, even with gen transition happening, regardless we should be grateful for what the TGA provide us any point, the good or the bad.

I mentioned in my first post the Nintendo must bring it in the next direct but that is also unhealthy to do that to because like the TGA this I'm putting too much expectation with the lack of more reveals at a previous event. Tho, direct that start the year are usual something, regardless we must enjoy what we are shown. Nintendo will always beat to the rhythm of their own drum!:)