Circhester Stadium - N4A Chat Thread - December 2019

April

HOT TAKE: How is "cultural appropriation" a bad thing?

I understand why things like blackface or Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's are offensive, because the purpose of those is to mock people who are of different races.

But in the case of, say, that white girl who wore a kimono to her prom, she didn't intend to mock anybody. All she did was look at another culture and say "Hey, I like your culture! It's really cool! I want to show everyone how cool it is by wearing it to my prom!"

Like, what's the point of even having a culture if you don't want to share it with other people?

Penis.

its not a hot take if you're obviously uneducated in the subject matter, its just you spouting nonsense and pretending to be confused about issues that have real consequences and nuance 

by espousing your "hot take" you're now putting the onus of education on your peers, who, if PoC, have undoubtedly already had this exact conversation before with countless lazy white people who refuse to do even the most basic of research before deciding their "opinions" are important enough to even be hot takes to begin with

maybe instead of deciding you have a "hot take" on something you clearly do not understand as you've stated, maybe try asking a question and not phrasing it combatively, implying that people upset over cultural appropriation are overreacting and upset over nothing

In general, you can just replace the words "hot take" with "this is bait." 

By definition, hot takes are deliberately provocative statements intended to incite an angry response. The term originated on sports talk radio, on which hosts would use hot takes to get angry listeners to call in. 

It has since spread beyond radio, but the goal remains the same. A hot take isn't seeking a conversation, it's seeking a reaction. 

bait.gif

if you really have no idea where to start this is a basic enough summary
https://www.theweek.co.uk/cultural-appropriation
the most obvious and egregious examples are people fetishizing significant or sacred items/clothing from cultures they destroyed, hence it originating with native tribes in various countries. given that the western world subjugated nearly 100% of the planet at some point up until less than 100 years ago, and still fucks with everything through militarism and economic imperialism, it shouldn't be a big surprise that it comes up so often. but at the end of the day it's not all that hard to realize when something like this is disrespectful, and if you don't know, you just read and don't assume it's fine. but the last thing you should do is tell people at the receiving end of all that shit that their concerns over people commodifying and trivializing things that they hold dear are nonsense.

Edited by Pichi
2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

All this time I thought it just meant something that you knew others would disagree with.

I can understand this, given "hot take" is still a fairly new phrase: we're talking about a phrase the came to prominence because of Tebowing. 

The definitions of neologisms can be a little flexible. I'm sure we all use the term a little differently. Given winterberry's response, it looks like we likely have at least three definitions of the term in this very thread, all likely informed by our interaction with the phrase. 

@Weaver I did a double take seeing your account show up on my ~irl twitter~ feed because people I know follow you LOL

Made me think I was logged into the wrong account, it always cracks me up when I get one of your tweets recommended to me over there.