Circhester Stadium - N4A Chat Thread - December 2019

April

Today is the first time I've crashed Metroid Prime Hunters and it was from testing the boundaries of a speedrun strategy. I can now at least do nearly all of the major glitches associated with world record runs. I just need to get them done within an actual run to see where I'm sitting if I even manage to do the glitches within a couple tries. 

Edited by IU
7 hours ago, IU said:

Today is the first time I've crashed Metroid Prime Hunters and it was from testing the boundaries of a speed run strategy. I can now at least do nearly all of the major glitches associated with world record runs. I just need to get them done within an actual run to see where I'm sitting if I even manage to do the glitches within a couple tries. 

good luck friend, and remember
speedrun is one word

this stuff is stupidly difficult, even if you've played the game countless times before, so don't give up and try to not reset as much as possible flower;

Edited by Pichi
5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Isn't Christmas always on the 25th? y;

Typically, though there are four different dates used by different Christian groups to mark the holiday; the others being January 6, January 7 and January 19. 

Part of this is because certain denominations mark Christmas using the old Julian calendar date, rather than the modern Gregorian calendar. 

21 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

If Jesus was born on December 25th, how does he die on a different day every year?

Because it's a movable feast based on a lunisolar calendar. Controversy over the proper date for Easter dates back to the second century (I'm not even joking, Pope Victor I attempted to excommunicate the Quartodecimans over this), and remains unresolved, with modern reformers calling for a fixed date for Easter.

Edited by blcdude1
3 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

If Jesus was born on December 25th, how does he die on a different day every year?

cause there's no biblical basis for the days and they were all picked to replace existing traditions

That idea is called strategic syncretism; as Christianity spread and interacted with more and more groups, it absorbed some of the cultural traditions/festivals and “Christianized” them, partly to give converts a better sense of familiarity (and partly to undermine the competing religions).

The leaders in Rome decided to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity on the 25th, possibly as an attempt to undermine Mithraism, a competing religion at the time. But as blcdude1 said, the Eastern Churches/Rites don’t celebrate it then, they have their own dates. And I have yet to see anything saying that those days align with a pagan holiday.

But the real sticking point is Easter of course, which is technically more important to Christians historically, so when that was supposed to be celebrated was much more important and controversial and is still being debated on which calendar to use as the base, Julian or Gregorian.

To expand a bit on why it changes every year though, it was supposed to move based on how Passover moves. But it is not always aligned with it even so because the Hebrew calendar is lunar while the Roman ones are of course solar. So the full moon thing is the same, but the days obviously don’t normally line up...

no idea what the swahili (?) in-joke is but do ppl hate their eggs like this? whenever i fry eggs for a sandwich i always leave them a bit runny cause it tastes really good and it's too dry otherwise. just not so much that it spills everywhere. otherwise you gotta mop it up with the bread although that's good too tbh, so i wouldn't be that mad if mine were like this. just ask for extra bread lol

Edited by Pichi