Sign in to follow this  
Vector

Is COPPA really that bad?

Over the past few days, I have been hearing things about a government act called COPPA, which seems to be going through some changes unfavorable to creators whose content is directed at children. The internet as such has reacted badly to this, even going to say that this is the end of Youtube. However, when I talked to some IRL friends about it, they said that the effects won't be as bad as everyone thinks, and that it will hurt large corporations more than individual creators, and that it is at least a necessary evil. Is COPPA really that big of the deal as the internet makes it out to be? Or is it just a case of overreaction on the internet?

Also, if it will really have that disastrous of an effect on youtube, will the newly revised act really last that long? Youtubers are already struggling to make their content child-friendly to avoid demonetization from Youtube, and so the act will create a no-win situation for them. With such ridiculously bad implications I heard COPPA will bring, how long would the people actually tolerate such an act before it is forced to change?

15 hours ago, Vector said:

it will hurt large corporations more than individual creators, and that it is at least a necessary evil.

anybody who says this in general is:
1. a cop
2. lying out their ass cause if it was actually hurting corporations they'd be lobbying to stop it from passing

idk that much about the new COPPA shit (and don't really care tbh) but the act in general is not a bad thing and if anything, we SHOULD have more child protection laws in the everlasting internet age we're in