With that new Pokemon sub-forum I have to ask

purple_beard

pokemon is way bigger and has way more discussion even on off-seasons than i've ever seen for mario

zelda might be a sometimes contender but not by much y; i'd say a good gauge would be >do we have enough mario threads or zelda threads right this second to merit a semi-permanent board for them?

and the answer is no. mario doesn't have lasting power for a conversation. there are no mechanics to go over, nothing rare to achieve. zelda is kind of in the middle, but only during its on season, which is before and after a game comes out and even when it doesn't seem like we have much conversation going for even BOTW right now. 

Yeah, I kind of agree Mario discussion is almost always spinning its wheels - fun games to play, not enough depth to discuss more than warrants a few threads once in awhile?

I'd think with NX and Breath of the Wild coming around there might be enough buzz for stuff, but it's not really unmanageable in the current boards. It seems like Pokemon is just an especially special case with people here along with the new games coming around? They definitely don't lack depth, have staying power, multiplayer functions, etc. that breed more discussion and organization that a lot of other Nintendo games don't have.

The only franchises I could see a board being necessary for are Pokémon (most of the time), Smash (prior to release), Animal Crossing (for a month or two immediately after a major release like NL and not some who-gives-a-shit game like amiibo Festival), and maybe Zelda or Fire Emblem for an extremely brief period surrounding new entries.

Even then, Pokémon is really in a league of its own and the success of it doesn't necessarily mean the others need to happen.

1 hour ago, chickadee said:

no console needs its own board, ever imo if we have a gen gaming and gen ninty board already; an NX board would be a waste of space

Well, there's some division in "retro gaming talk" vs. "current gaming talk"

but you all would need to get on my level and talk about the GBA constantly for that to work

Just now, purple_beard said:

Jet Li has made a ton of movies.... that were good.... The One....was not one of those.... it was terrible...

Again, it's been a while since I seen that movie, plot was dumb but as kid that didn't matter. I thought the fights were cool.

It's kinda like the John Wick movie with Kenau Reeves, dumb plot but great fights.

2 hours ago, Schmengland said:

The question I'd like to build on this with is whether or not there will ever be consideration towards sub-boards for significant non-Nintendo franchises, to appear under General Gaming.

I can't exactly name a franchise like that off-hand, except maybe Final Fantasy, but I just thought I'd throw the general idea out there.

i feel like this is exactly the same question that was already answered

if there's a need, then let us all see it

if not, then there's your answer y;