Super Monkey Ball Returns

Switch Version Banana Blitz Port

Games in the series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Monkey_Ball

Games I played in the series

1 and 1 GC -- good

Jr GBA --good for executing on a GBA, but not great once you got to more demanding levels

Touch and Roll DS -- ok.... stylus controls kind of worked against the feel of analog stick controls.

Banana Blitz- Wii -- maze designs fell way off, mini games overall were less fun and too many

Step and Roll-Wii -- Mazes were ok.  Graphics were ok.  The motion controls in some cases felt like I was fighting against them for the precision needed.  Also, the balance board controls weren't bad, but you had ro really perfect yourself to use them.

I played some variant of a PS2 game in the series but its name escapes me.  I really do recall loving a lot of its mazes.

Thoughts on the BB Port from my point of view and the series in general/going forward and in no particular order:

Why no motion controls as this was a motion game originally?  Why not an option?  

--I would think the JCs would be a lot more precise than a Wiimote or a Wiimote+

Why did they strip down the mini games?

Why not do a collection of the series overall?

Why not do a new one?

I think the game design and multiplayer mini games makes this series a natural to have a new game on the Switch.

*I know I'd be super interested in a return to the glory of the first two games.

Out of all the mini games I played and liked I would have to say Monkey Target, Fight, Baseball, Pool, Golf, and Bowling.  Race was just ok.  No others really stand out to me as being worth noting.

I do/did kind of like the inclusion of more characters with more "handling" characteristics.  I would not mind doing more unlockable monkeys or what they are apparently going to do with Sonic in terms of unlockable  Sega character(s?) to use in the balls.

IMO, the critical part to get right is the mazes/tracks/stages designs.  After the first two, while the graphics were improving, the level designs got more frustrating at times.

Also, the less gimmicks, the better.  What I mean is, jumping, speed boost tiles, conveyor direction tiles, warp zones, stage hazards (not obstacles to navigate around), boss battles, ect need to be evaluated for proper/best placement and usage.  Expanding on the core maze concepts with these isn't bad but in some games and later levels, the use and interactivity with some of them became more annoying than fun in later games.

Really perfect core great mini games from the series.  A lot of those games were as fun as the mazes to play in a multiplayer format.  Nailing these in akin to nailing battle mode in Mario Kart, while not the main game per se', its part is enjoyable if executed right.