Ninfora is censored on NS2

Fuzzer1

Just now, Cryptic said:

Stupid question: what is ETOH?

Answering anyways: started out as the rest of us forums from some people banned from power on over a music thread (nsider was even bigger back then) and then they got smaller and made etoh. Someone can fill in other blanks but a Tldr of that Tldr is 'peeps who were once on nsider then split off to do their own thing'

3 minutes ago, Thirdkoopa said:

Answering anyways: started out as the rest of us forums from some people banned from power on over a music thread (nsider was even bigger back then) and then they got smaller and made etoh. Someone can fill in other blanks but a Tldr of that Tldr is 'peeps who were once on nsider then split off to do their own thing'

I see.  Well, obviously I don't have the full context of that event, but at this point my mindset is (both in this forum and outside of it) people should pretty much be able to say whatever they want up to blatant incendiary cursing/etc.  If the assertion is true that Chrom or other staff was responsible for banning/limiting posting privileges/whatever of people he didn't like or rubbed him the wrong way, I'm against that and I can see why people would have a problem with him.  Perhaps I was too casual an observer and missed a lot of these mistakes; I don't know.  If a user like Yuki got privileges taken way, to me that's really odd.  She admitted herself she comes off as abrasive, but I've never personally seen her post anything I thought would be worthy of punishment, and I actually find it hard to imagine her doing anything I would consider punishable.

The other part of it is, over time, I've come to enjoy having people I don't entirely agree with or like around.  Life is boring if people agree on 95% of things.

Man, I'm looking for some East Coast / West Coast beef like back in the mid-90's. Some people might have gotten shot but it sparked a lot of great creative content even amidst the more inflammatory and provocative work!

Nah, just kiddin, can't we all just get along. :P

On the serious tip though, I knew a few people had been banned and they were indeed kinda assholes but on the other hand, I wondered what happened to Yuki for instance and rather enjoyed his / her (sorry, not sure which pronoun is proper) banter and never found it overly offensive as much as just straight forward. Overall though, I thought Chrom seemed pretty fair minded and not prone to just up and ban people unless they were REALLY antagonistic toward him and maybe others. It certainly seemed a lot better than the previous regime on NS2 although most of that shitfest could be contributed solely to shrimpkid being a complete hypocrite bitch.

Look, I'll be straight. I don't have a plan for NS2 as of right now. Last night, in basically the course of a half hour I went from "I'm never getting unbanned"  to "Holy fucking shit I'm lead admin." 

I haven't been part of NS2 for almost a year now, I have no idea what the community is like, nor do I really care. I know the few times I had ventured a peek it was pretty desolate and dry and nothing ever happened. 

What I did last night is I fixed a lot of transgressions that people have been sitting on for months/years. Almost all of the people I modded have been former staff with NS2 and all of them were removed unfairly one way or the other over the course of years. And as for the other people who have had no staff ties to NS2, well, I know them. Why in the world would I become admin of a community who has done nothing but sit by and allow people to just not be allowed to post because the lead admin didn't like them and then go, "So which of you very deserving people should be part of my staff?" None of you. None of you deserve to be staff imo, I don't trust or respect any of you the same way I respect these people who have been with me for the last nine years.

And yeah, if you couldn't tell, we had a giggle last night because none  of us saw us in this position when we woke up. If your big worry is that they locked a joke thread to promote another joke thread and can't see the humor there,  I can't explain it to you, but I can tell you that that is exactly how NS2 used to be run circa 2007 to 2010.

It's different now, but that's because you're all used to a staff that didn't really exist or do anything with what they were given because they wanted to maintain a structure. I have no such respect with structure or rules that say people can't goof off on a forum about Nintendo of all things. I would rather see the forum become a chaotic ball of nonsense like it used to be when the forum was thriving than a dead husk where people come and have polite conversation that would bore any normal outside person coming into it.

Do I have any idea if CG is going to be on board with that? Fuck no, and I don't care. If they fire me today or in a week, I have no remorse. I'm not trying to build anything. I'm reigniting old sparks in people who have been there since 2007. If it dies by the end of the week, I still won't regret any of it because my friends had a blast last night and there's nothing that anyone can do to take that away. It felt like we were back in 2008.

I know that feels like forever ago to some of you, but for us, what we did last night was everything good NS2 was, why we stayed so long and why we fought everyone as much as we did. 

So yeah, it may be a clique, but it's a clique of reliable people who I trust. And our focus is to have fun with what we've been given and not try to fix any problems that Kodiak has already stated they've tried to do with CG for years. It's not happening, CG told me straight up before I was made admin they have no plans to fix anything for a long time. So I'm not going to try. What I will try is to give people something fun and entertaining to watch as long as possible. That's my plan for the site.

Edited by Mao
3 minutes ago, Mao said:

I know that feels like forever ago to some of you, but for us, what we did last night was everything good NS2 was, why we stayed so long and why we fought everyone as much as we did. 

At least you were honest, I can respect that. I wasn't around when NSider2 was at it's prime years, I can't speak on that, however, I can understand how it feels like to have something you're passionate for so long get turned to something so bland and stale. At least we can both agree on something here, CG is just one pain in the ass.

1 minute ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Error code:

2S160/4

"You do not have permission to view this site"

Damn. That sounds like an ip ban. 

But... is there any way for you to remove the history on your phone, meaning taking Nsider2 off temporarily?

If so, try that and see if it helps any.

1 hour ago, Mao said:

I definitely agree that, in relation to my own personal tastes, I feel there was a degree of over-moderation on NS2 over this last year. When you have a smaller, more intimate community that doesn't host thousands of active members, one of the biggest benefit is that you don't need all this strictly defined structure and iron-fisted rule. Sometimes you can joke around... make a thread containing nothing more than a video of a farting Yoshi's island theme, and to a degree we had that. However, some of the decisions were made on NS2 that directly counteracted that kind of notion. Decisions that I originally was very vocal against, but eventually gave up in trying, because it didn't seem to matter. I also understand that there were hopes to turn NS2 into something bigger, which may have needed that kind of attitude and moderation. And surely some peoples preferences aligns with that kind thing.... I'm just not sure I would say it was the what most wanted.

Apart from much bigger issues with CG, that was the other problem I had with NS2. I felt on numerous occasions that the staff had a very focused vision for the community, whether the community wanted it or not. The game board is one of the more recent and clear-cut examples. It didn't bother me that it was made, I understand the thought behind it, but what bothered me was that people were actively and vocally saying 'this isn't working' and 'this isn't good for our threads, they're going to die', and the response to that was ultimately indifference. "We're doing it this way, sorry." That was the turning point for me, when I quit visiting NS2 as much because it began to feel like my particular interests there were being overlooked for a pathway that was more focused on expanding for an audience that wasn't even there yet, rather than maintaining the interest of those who were already there and trying to enjoy themselves. Those who had been there for a long time...

Then I almost stopped entirely after the forum changed versions and the functionality went to crap. I could hardly ever reliably access the site, which is definitely more on CG's shoulders than anyone else's. For the longest it seemed like every other time I tried to access the forum it would either not load at all or load super slowly.

It may seem stupid for me to say all these things here, but I say it because I have bigger hopes for this place than I ever did since the version change on NS2. I want these feelings to be expressed, and I want them to be seen and heard. This forum is brand new, with a large portion of the most special thing about NS2, it's members. I firmly believe that it has nothing but potential. The potential to be structured around the wants and needs of the community that frequents it, while also being open to growth and change. Realistically that's the only way it has a real shot of being something... and I want to see it be something. Whether it's viewed as misplaced or not, I still have faith in both the staff, and the community that's moved here. If I'm wrong, it's no skin off my back... but if I'm right, then we've got a lot to look forward to.

I also feel like people are feeling threatened by your(Mao) coming to power on NS2, but they shouldn't be.

The reason you all came here are still very valid, and Mao clearly isn't pushing to 'steal members back', or even pushing NS2 in the direction that I feel this forum is heading to rival it. Heck, I honestly don't think he even cares if we continue to make people aware that this place exists, and why it does. Judging by his own words, he just wants NS2 to become a place for friends to goof off and have a good time, and I'm personally much happier to see NS2 become that then get nuked and die. That's not a threat to this forum, both can coexist. If you're so adamant for this site to be successful, like I am, then it's up to you to help make it that way. Stick around. Be active. Keep the peace, don't attack others, even if you don't agree with them. NS2 existing doesn't change your ability to do any of that. ^^

Edited by The Guardian Mew
3 hours ago, Mao said:

This is well-reasoned I guess, but kind of boils down to "we're getting a nice nostalgic thrill and payback".

Really the annoying thing about you guys being in-charge is blocking anyone interested in finding out where long-time community members have gone. It'd be nice if people could easily know if they're interested in an NSider community that isn't muzzled under Crowdgather, this exists. If they don't care about that and care more about the atmosphere you guys want, whatever.

Just seems kind of depressing to lose people because of censorship and politics and lame drama.

Edited by Stopdoor
12 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

This is well-reasoned I guess, but kind of boils down to "we're getting a nice nostalgic thrill and payback".

Really the annoying thing about you guys being in-charge is blocking anyone interested in finding out where long-time community members have gone. It'd be nice if people could easily know if they're interested in an NSider community that isn't muzzled under Crowdgather, this exists. If they don't care about that and care more about the atmosphere you guys want, whatever.

Just seems kind of depressing to lose people because of censorship and politics and lame drama.

They're not the ones blocking people, that's CrowdGather's call