General Pokemon Sword/Shield info-going-forward thread

1 minute ago, Art_de_Cat said:

I guess if it is a different form....say alcremie, when you dynamax, it will gigantamax cause it has a gigantamax form to it?  Have the Coalossal....

Yeah they mention it in the game, fairly late, that Pokemon that change form when Dynamaxing are Gigantamax forms.

Oh, and my two favourite random parts:

Spoiler

The cop you battle that starts the battle off with "Ello ello ello, what's all this then?"

The very mini mystery featuring Detective Howses "Yes THAT Howses" (Cuz "Howses" sounds like "Houses" and "Holmes" sounds like "Homes" for one helluva pun)

So one think I’m confused about the Gigantamaxing forms of certain Pokémon. Durning one of the gym battles I had Dynamaxed Drewdnaw, but it didn’t go into its Gigantamax form. Is that because my Drewdnaw was originally caught in the wild as opposed to being caught from a max raid battle in the Wild area?

And this might be a stupid question, but say you catch a Butterfree in a max raid battle, but it wasn't in its Gigantamax form in that battle, will it not Gigantamax when you use it in Dynamax or max raid battles?

Okay, while I was trying to think about the drop of Poke'mon to maybe justify buying the game at a lower price maybe for Black Friday, I realized that the games beforehand had made too many redundant Poke'mon that looked the same (looking at you, Gen V!) Plus, maybe the Pokemon were also cut to make a difference in what Pokemon would BE in Galar. (Even though that's not really a good reason, since places that were like NY and France still had all of the previous Pokemon.) All I'm saying is that Game Freak seemed like they were cutting down by maybe using style as an option. And maybe also because of gameplay balance. 

... BUT, THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WORKED IN THE LONG RUN! HERE'S 15 POKE'MON LINES AND SO ON THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT FOR THE GALAR REGION! 

1. The Nidoqueen and Nidoking line. 

-This one is so basic about games of royalty! 

2. The Wigglytuff line. 

-How'd only Clefairy get in?! Jigglypuff is an icon! And don't give me Mr. Rime as an excuse. 

3. The Dragonite line.

-The most royal of dragons! Sorry, Noivern.

4. The Crobat line. 

-How'd the inferior Swoobat line get in?! These guys are loyal! 

5. The Ampharos line. 

-The navy should need a lighthouse fixture. How'd they forget?! 

6. Politoed line. 

-How'd only Seismitoad get in?! 

7. Ursaring line. 

-Bears exist in the UK, right? ... Plus, Bewear's too friendly. 

8. Kingdra line. 

-Like number 1, how'd they screw this up?! 

9. Miltank line. 

-Mooooooooo. 

10. Metagross line. 

-... The English also had really great archaeologists. Speaking of which, happened to most of the fossil life?!... Oh... 

11. Kricketune line. 

-Wait, they also ruined an obvious evolution with this one too! 

12. Loppunng line. 

-DIGGERSBY?! PLUS, IF A CROWD WANTS TO CHEER THE TRAINERS, wouldn't a cheering Poke'mon work well here?! 

13. Sawsbuck line. 

-I'm pretty sure deer are a lot common in the UK.

14. Pyroar line. 

-Look at them manes! 

15. Gumshoos line.  

-How... how... how... that would've done a really good Sherlock homage! 

15a. Other starters. 

-Seriously, Gens 2-6 had some great starters. 

I'm just disappointed they missed fairly obvious Pokemon choices. Some of the choices they picked were lame at best. With the news of these Pokemon not being available by trade or whatever, it's likely I'll miss out this time. 

Edited by XLW
15 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

So one think I’m confused about the Gigantamaxing forms of certain Pokémon. Durning one of the gym battles I had Dynamaxed Drewdnaw, but it didn’t go into its Gigantamax form. Is that because my Drewdnaw was originally caught in the wild as opposed to being caught from a max raid battle in the Wild area?

And this might be a stupid question, but say you catch a Butterfree in a max raid battle, but it wasn't in its Gigantamax form in that battle, will it not Gigantamax when you use it in Dynamax or max raid battles?

Correct. You need to catch a Gigantamax compatible Pokemon to get its Gigantamax form. 

I didn't put a lot of my favorites on that list, because they probably wouldn't have fit Galar thematically. All I'm saying is that there was wasted potential for what could've been there. They have a good line-up, but it's not perfect. And knowing GameFreak, that's heartbreaking for me. 

All I'm asking for is consistency. If they wanted to shrink the number of Poke'mon, they could have thought what would have worked to fit the Galar region, a U.K. inspired world. Not just the best Poke'mon competitively. Heck, you could have given my choices Galarian forms and evolutions. 

And I'm sure the actual battle mechanics are fine and more fleshed than ever. But if I were to catch less this time around, I want the world that fits them to influence the choices. Not just make a batch of who's-who. Maybe Gen 9 will do that better.  

... I'm not going to list what I think feels out of place. By reverse, you should tell some patterns. 

But, if there are plans to make all of them available somehow in the future, maybe I won't be picky. 

Edited by XLW

It's funny you mention inconsistency XLW.

In this video review by actual UK native.

Like, I'm only 3 badges into the games but I'm enjoying myself but the points brought up in this video, (partial in my case and maybe soon to be) they are correct these games are inconsistent at best. Those best times to me is the gameplay we expect and the QOL of like Pokemon in the world, PC access anywhere. The low is can be the visuals expected on Switch not what we think GF can pull off. I'd say most of that is a contrast with the Wild Area. And I guess the varying performances issues. (they are non-existence or rarely happened to me)

Other than that these games are okay if you are long time fan, can't say for ppl who dropped off or their first entry for Pokemon mainline games. That may be decisive for those to make that plunge.

I just encountered and caught my first shiny in Shield. It’s a Spritzee, and I believe it has the new shiny appearance effect. Just 44 hours into the game too. I’m wondering if they made it easier to run into shiny Pokémon in Sword and Shield compared to past entries? I’m only speculating this because I’ve seen articles talk about the new shiny appearance just recently?

Edit: Just found another shiny, it’s a Galarian Meowth. It’s got the same shiny effect the Spritzee has when it enters battle. I gonna admit I was seeing if I could shiny chain for the Meowth, and I thought I had messed up. I ran into a few other Pokémon after finding the first few non shiny Meowths. 

Funny little story, I forgot what game it was but I had found a shiny female Meowth and named it after one of my cats Skippy. So since this shiny Meowth was male, I decided to name it after Skippy’s long lost brother, Yippy. It kinda sucks that the normal color for Galarian Meowth is a closer match for the two cats I named the two shiny Meowths after.

Ill have to post pictures of the shinies for proof , as soon as I can find a way to move the pictures from the Switch capture album without using Facebook or Twitter.

Edited by The Albraskan

Yeah it’s definitely not perfect but to be honest no Pokémon game is. They make a truckload of money with their style and I think someone here said a few months back what I will say again now: the business model is working so it’s doubtful to change. It’s not high art or anything but it’s definitely scratching my Pokémon itch.

Just beat the game last night. I caught a shiny Glalie yesterday too, speaking of shiny odds. Red eyes... very creepy looking. :P

Ok, there is one issue I have with the game thus far. Of the 400 Pokemon in the PokéDex, you can pretty much catch over 300 of them before you even beat the Champion including a majority of the final evolutions of evolution lines. I'm finding myself catching them for convenience sake instead of putting in the work needed in previous games to catch previous forms and evolve them "the hard way". And it's this convenience of being able to find these final evolutions previously unavailable in the wild, sometimes even before finding previous forms in the wild, that is making this whole experience of filling in the PokéDex feel too easy, lazy, and severely off-putting.

If anything, it's almost like using an Action Replay/GameShark/Game Genie to catch anything you please just so you don't have to put in an hour or so of training and/or evolution item acquisition.