General Pokemon Sword/Shield info-going-forward thread

I explored the Wild Area as much I could before going to the main first city and it wasn't a bad experience. I'd say the only complaint is that I do not like that you cannot look upward with the free-cam. What is up with that you can mover in every direction but up? Looking down is limited but if they extended that for looking up I'd be fine but cannot look up whatsoever in the wild area.

Other than that the Wild Area is cool!

So everytime you catch a Pokemon in max raid battles, is the catch always automatic?

I have not seen one fail with me yet? or is because if you are will ppl connected it would be stupid to be waiting for the catch to happen?

Now that I think about if you join someones max raid and not just discover one, in either you always catch the Pokemon so that means when you defeat the dynamax Pokemon and you are catching the other trainers are catching too, right?

The someone max raid battle and you discovering one does not apply who can dynamax first. It it is your own you are charged with energy to dynamax while in some one else the one who hosted can dynamax but you can build energy to dynmax in someone else's max raid battle.

I’ve only done two max raid battles in the beginning. The first one I waited for someone to join one I hosted. It took a few attempts to get a person to join,but I got someone from Japan I think? They used what I guess was the game’s “bad guy” legendary and one shot the Pokémon. So I caught a Whooper. Haven’t used it since. 

The second max raid battle I just had the game fill the battle with computer teammates, and caught Barbaroach. I eventually evolved it to Wishcash, and I swap between it and Drewdnaw for my water Pokémon in my party. I’m thinking of keeping Wishcash since it recently learned earthquake. 

Sorry if I misspelt  the names of the Pokémon I mentioned.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

So everytime you catch a Pokemon in max raid battles, is the catch always automatic?

I have not seen one fail with me yet? or is because if you are will ppl connected it would be stupid to be waiting for the catch to happen?

Now that I think about if you join someones max raid and not just discover one, in either you always catch the Pokemon so that means when you defeat the dynamax Pokemon and you are catching the other trainers are catching too, right?

The someone max raid battle and you discovering one does not apply who can dynamax first. It it is your own you are charged with energy to dynamax while in some one else the one who hosted can dynamax but you can build energy to dynmax in someone else's max raid battle.

No, I missed a rare one earlier b/c I threw a Premier Ball. :( I'm still mad.

Just now, TehBrawlGuy said:

No, I missed a rare one earlier b/c I threw a Premier Ball. :( I'm still mad.

Guess I was lucky all those times. All I've been throwing are Pokeballs and caught all the Pokemon on the first try.

I say it is good because that would be weird if you could miss catching but on the other hand, that really suck that you can actually miss out on the catch.

4 minutes ago, TehBrawlGuy said:

those apparently have min 3 max IVs and an egg move! i havent seen many, though

When I was in the Wild Area, I actually saw one but couldn't catch because the Pokemon (forget what it was) made run out of Pokeballs. But later on route 3 I saw Zigzagoon after leaving the route twice and saw it randomly in the grass. So yeah the chain is a thing but you can probably seen one without doing a chain. I was able to catch that Zigzagoon.

And it did give me watts, just forgot how many.

Just now, DLurkster said:

When I was in the Wild Area, I actually saw one but couldn't catch because the Pokemon (forget what it was) made run out of Pokeballs. But later on route 3 I saw Zigzagoon after leaving the route twice and saw it randomly in the grass. So yeah the chain is a thing but you can probably seen one without doing a chain. I was able to catch that Zigzagoon.

And it did give me watts, just forgot how many.

I haven't chained at all and have seen ~6 about 6 gyms in.

5 minutes ago, TehBrawlGuy said:

I haven't chained at all and have seen ~6 about 6 gyms in.

Yes, glad I wasn't the only one. In the past, even without the indicator wouldn't know if you had Pokemon with perfect IV's without testing or in later gens IV checker.

I can't say if the glowing that makes it easier to just see a perfect IV Pokemon or the chaining is just so but for me, I didn't have to chain.

Just now, DLurkster said:

Yes, glad I wasn't the only one. In the past, even without the indicator wouldn't know if you had Pokemon with perfect IV's without testing or in later gens IV checker.

I can't say if the glowing that makes it easier to just see a perfect IV Pokemon or the chaining is just so but for me, I didn't have to chain.

It's still not perfect, necessarily, just 3/6 perfect IVs. Like Friend Safari from X/Y. 

2 minutes ago, TehBrawlGuy said:

Not sure. I feel like I've seen some glowing brighter than others, but I've tried to stay away from seeing the new Pokemon, which means I don't know the mechanics in depth.

Hmm, I'll look into that. I unfortunately have not avoided new Pokemon and have not seen one glowing more than the others. Honestly since it's hard to get decent or even more so perfect IV's. It would be so bad there will be a indicator for perfect IV's.

Got the final form of Roly Coly....holy geez it looks cool!

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game so far. You definitely get the sense that it's not as grand as it could be when you are able to view areas and far off vistas that you can never actually get to, but for what's there it feels like a bigger adventure just with the addition of the wild area.  I've had a few Xenoblade style moments where I rolled up on Pokemon level 45+ and had to get myself out of there.  But I'm liking things so far at just over 15 hours in and I just now made it to the town with the fourth gym challenge.

I'm a little over 5 hours in and just outside of my first gym. Early impression, I enjoy Sword more than Pokemon X and Pokemon Moon. I'm still dealing with the same story leash at times that hurt my experience with X and Moon; however, aside from Hop, I don't dislike the characters so far. Hop probably is my only issue with the game. If he had Grookey, I wouldn't mind his talking as much, but he picked a type disadvantage so I just want him to shut up most of the time. A rival at the start should always have the type advantage in my opinion. Bede on the other hand is exactly what I want from a rival character. He doesn't have Grookey, but he's arrogant and has a preference for a type I generally associate as being powerful. I look forward to interacting with Bede again, where as I dread seeing Hop. 

The Wild Area has been probably the biggest surprise for me. No trailer did it any justice, and that footage almost turned me away from the game. Trailers gave me the impression that there would be a large, empty area aside from a Pokemon here and there and the occasional Max Raid den. The Wild Area turns out to be mostly the opposite of that and provides a fair amount of Pokemon spawns to encounter along with the occasional rare spawn that tends to be too powerful to deal with early game. I don't feel any Breath of the Wild when I've been in the Wild Area, but I have felt Xenoblade Chronicle's Gaur Plains which I think is much more ideal for an RPG like Pokemon. Every time I see a rare spawn, I take note and do my best to avoid while still being in a bit of awe of what I will eventually be able to catch and potentially shiny hunt later in the adventure. 

Rolycoly's line is my favorite Pokemon line in some time, definitely since Gen. V's Trubbish line. The middle evolution from the line at first seemed forgettable next to Rolycoly and the final. The creativity with how that evolution is encountered though is perfect and elevates the design. It's likely going to be my first shiny hunt for Sword, probably after I clear the first gym.