General Pokemon Sword/Shield info-going-forward thread

whatever leaker Nintendo caught is not the only one, because a guy has been on /vp/ for days leaking stuff intermittently this week. we've gotten pictures of the main city, info on evolutions and how to do them, and a buncha dex entries/pics of pokemon/moves they can learn and the camp feature, and that's just from what i've seen. 

additionally, the thing about returns on preorders isn't true: nintendo will allow everyone (yes, EVERYONE) one singular lifetime return on preorders, and pokemon is not a special exception

they just don't tell anyone they do that because they don't WANT people to do it y; source: i used to take calls for nintendo and its something we were doing even way back then (like 3-4 years ago) and we would just tell people not to tell others that we did a return/cancellation

Apparently, starters cannot be shiny hunted via soft reset at the beginning of the game, rather if you were considering one you may be forced to breed. 

I'm really disappointed as I was planning on soft resetting for a starter if I were to get Sword. Maybe this game too is designed to be a chore to soft reset hunt in like Let's Go. I don't like that they are designing potentially slower start ups and more cutscenes for that to be a miserable grind now. 

If there's any silver lining, I'll see streams within the Wild Area likely on launch day from shiny hunters and so can make my decision on Sword sooner. The recent trailer footage for the Wild Area was mostly poor, but I'll still wait for a live experience to see what it is actually like and what it offers. Anything beyond Max Raids in the Wild Area that draws my attention away from the fact that there are sparse Pokemon spawns will be good. 

Edited by IU

Having seen a stream of this game and seeing the Wild Area off script (not in a trailer or presentation), the Wild Area is the worst looking part of a first party game on a Nintendo platform that I can remember and Sword & Shield should at best only review an 8 because of it. The rest of the game doesn't look anywhere near as bad and is standard for Pokemon...not $60 Switch game standard, but $40 3DS game standard. Some of the game looks like it's on the Switch, and some of it looks like it's on the Nintendo DS, so I'm meeting in the middle. 

I watched GameXplains review and Q&A video for SwSh, and after those videos finished YouTube’s auto play started a video of someone’s play through of SwSh. I wasn’t really paying attention obviously, until I noticed they were using Scorbunny’s evolution in a battle. It didn’t bother me since I’ve seen the leaked Pokémon and stater evolutions, I’m just giving people who care a warning in case. I guess since  I viewed that youtubers video of part of their play through, YouTube is recommending me another video of that youtubers play through where they’re pretty deep in the story. 

Tl:Dr, if any of you are still trying to go unspoiled, keep away from YouTube videos involving Pokémon SwSh. Watching GameXplain’s videos for SwSh eventually lead to YouTube’s auto play feature starting up a video of someone else’s Pokémon SwSh playthrough that had spoilers. 

With the release of the game in a few hours and what have been developing in the last few days about the producer and director comment backfiring with the datamine confirmation of the Pokemon models the same as the 3DS.

All, I can say that it is not easy being a developer nowadays. As much as all is entitled to their opinion, some do it out of sheer scrutiny and not constructive, I feel. If we really looked at all mainline Pokemon releases, (I'm mean really nitpick) there were issues with those games too. I just feel with the national dex not a thing here really set a path where Sword and Shield are at now.

These videos here point out, that you can argue what you don't like but don't take it out overall on the game. All the unpleasant news is not the be all end all, (unless that's is what you play the series for but do that constructively not destructively) there's more to this game then what you choose to view. If anyone decides to take chance on the games, just be open and honest with yourself before you completely writing off the games.

Despite what revieers say they have to be objective as possible to inform what most ppl will play these game for. It is also their job to share the negatives, that may be blurred if the person for Pokemon like the reviewer for IGN (She did share the negatives tho) or hardly play Pokemon games. Either way, all must be objective. I believe whatever the reviewer says, there's truth behind their words and the consumer will make their decision based on their verdict.

Just keepin' it real.

its not my job as a consumer to do the work for them and be constructive with my criticism - if GF and TPC cared about my criticism in the first place, the games wouldn't be at the point they're at now anyway. sometimes people just want to complain about shitty service and its anyone's right to do so. no one is really saying that previous games in the series didn't have problems either; we all have the same conversations every 3 years about what the previous gen did wrong and what it did right lol

either way, i think its incredibly unwise in this day and age to take any reviewer for almost any game site at their word when many of them are easily paid off to say whatever the company wants them to but maybe that's just me y; 

True it isn't the consumer job to do the job of a gaming journalist unfortunately if their paid off. It is my belief that both sides are responsible to inform anyone interested or not of games to do without bias, for the better or worse.

That is all I'm saying about objectivity here.

I plan on picking up Pokemon Sword tomorrow. I was wrong to judge the Wild Area as a whole based on what may have been its introduction. There was a stream I was watching back last night that showed the Wild Area with about 2-3 Gyms worth of progress in the game, and what I was seeing was more in line with my expectations. With the exception of not having the chance to get a shiny starter right at the beginning, I think Sword will be a solid entry to shiny hunt in. I plan to pick Sobble as my starter. Sobble's line isn't exactly what I expect to see from a starter Pokemon's line, but I think the final evolution's inspiration fits the best with how I currently play Pokemon.