General Pokemon Sword/Shield info-going-forward thread

We're just shy of 6 weeks out from the game's release so more and more info is coming out, and I don't think we need to make a new thread every time something is revealed.

I've been seeing bits of news on feed today, so I'mma just hit you rapid fire with tweets on info, hope you like Nintendo Everything:

Edited by EH_STEVE

I don't like that experience is distributed automatically throughout the party. Personally, some of the risk, reward and satisfaction gets taken out with individual Pokemon by having that feature. I've gone back to Pokemon Black, Heartgold and Pearl after playing Let's Go and dealing with Exp. Share, Lucky Egg and/or party lead has made me feel more engaged. Level 100 isn't special in that system either. 

18 Gyms would tell me that Galar could be as large as two previous regions. Kanto and Johto combined in Heartgold/SoulSilver for a total of 16, so Sword and Shield could have a ton of content even if all Pokemon are not available to use in these games. That number also would cover all current Pokemon types. We do know of exclusive Gyms though so that number may be much lower for the games individually and result in a more standard size for the Galar region. 

Liking some of the news here.  Glad that HMs are being done away with as the series marches on.  I'd like for their to be more puzzle solving elements in the overworld and once upon a time it was a cool idea to think about how much more engaging HMs could be in that regard but there could be potentially better ways of going about that.

I really like the idea of not having to necessarily breed to get super competitive Pokemon either.  Breeding was never really a huge feature for me throughout the series so I'm cool with other options being looked at.

I still don't know where 18 Gyms came from if both versions have 8 Gyms and Gym Leaders. I'm reading the updated news as Sword having 8 unique Gyms/Leaders and Shield having 8 unique Gyms/leaders, but that doesn't make much sense either as only Allister and Bea were shown to be exclusive. Milo and Nessa seemed to be in both games when they were revealed. The minor league is confusing too...TPC needs to check this information before they let major sites start sharing. Regardless of this and being disappointed in the update, I'm interested to see what tomorrow's stream brings. 

I mean despite my other dislikes of gen 8 so far, I'd have been impressed if Galar actually had 18 or so gyms in one game/version, implying Galar was that big of a region compared to its predecessors, but since it was kinda already established about there being some version exclusive gyms, 18 being the total with both versions combined together sounds about right. Maybe it's 9 gyms in one version instead of the usual 8 (adding up to 18) would which still be a little step up I guess. Shame about the initial information regardless which led to some false hype.

I feel bad for any Pokemon fans spending hours in this stream, unless they're paid to cover any potential news. Sometime tomorrow I'll check a wrap up of whatever was shown, and I hope that they didn't waste a lot of people's time with just one new Pokemon reveal in a 24 hour stream (and possibly only a new form at that). It doesn't seem good though. Every time I've checked in, it has been the same static image with the same sounds. My level of excitement is back down between this and the 18 gym slip. If I do end up getting either game, Glimwood Tangle is not an area I'm looking forward to. I don't think it was a good choice to showcase an area as this inactive just to have a 24 hour stream. 

I haven't looked at the stream as I'm going on a media blackout after the last big new Pokemon reveal, but if what you're saying is true that they're just showing a static image then they probably aren't showing a great deal of the area.  I also wouldn't doubt that whatever version being shown is purposely throttled to be relatively inactive to prevent any new unrevealed Pokemon they aren't ready to show from spawning and running around.

Just the description from your posts makes it sound like it's specifically curated to prevent just a sneak peak at a new area rather than a full on reveal of anything substantial.

7 hours ago, Kezay said:

I haven't looked at the stream as I'm going on a media blackout after the last big new Pokemon reveal, but if what you're saying is true that they're just showing a static image then they probably aren't showing a great deal of the area.  I also wouldn't doubt that whatever version being shown is purposely throttled to be relatively inactive to prevent any new unrevealed Pokemon they aren't ready to show from spawning and running around.

Just the description from your posts makes it sound like it's specifically curated to prevent just a sneak peak at a new area rather than a full on reveal of anything substantial.

It was a scripted stream that had around 8 minutes of content scattered across 24 hours. My problem wasn't that the same image was being shown, as the stream was suppose to be from the perspective of a fixed nature cam, it was that that image was the only thing there for a vast majority of the stream. The Pokemon Company didn't respect their potential costumers' times for what amounted to one new reveal. I think it would've been better handled to have the new reveal play out in a 45 min-1 hour long video after seeing a summary. The gist of the event would still be there without wasting a lot of time. 

Edited by IU

I wonder how a certain Nsider I used to know, Rapidash321, would've felt about all this... The Galar Rapidash is interesting too if nothing else. Not sure if its type was already revealed, but the Pontya being revealed to be a full psychic type felt kinda off to me. I'm partial to psychic/fire as a dual type, but suppose that would've been a bit much to hope for, despite Ponyta's original type.

• 2 weeks later...