The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Review

Eliwood8

1456040084_ZeldaLinksAwakeningboxart.png.edfe1d3eca0376d45fb42fce733abb89.pngOriginally released in 1993 as the first Zelda game on a handheld, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening had some big shoes to fill. Just two years prior A Link to the Past was released on the SNES and brought some significant upgrades to Zelda's adventure formula, and now Link's Awakening tried to recreate that magic on the Game Boy's modest hardware while still establishing its own distinct sense of style. As most Zelda fans will attest to, the game was a complete success in that regard. Link's Awakening has stood the test of time as one of Link's most charming adventures, and this Switch remake has perfectly retained all of that personality while adding some invaluable quality of life changes.

The adventure begins with Link's simple boat being destroyed in a storm, and the hero washes up on Koholint Island where he is quickly taken in by the kind-hearted girl Marin. From there Link's quest is to explore the island to uncover its secrets and find a way back to his original journey. This game may take place entirely on an island but that doesn't diminish the sense of adventure and exploration that the Zelda franchise is known for. More importantly, Koholint is just a delightful place to explore. Marin and the rest of the residents of Mabe Village are adorable, and the quiet charm that pervades the game is only improved by the Switch remake's updated visuals. There may not be a ton of text or dialogue in the game, but Link's Awakening does a great job of endearing you to the island's humble inhabitants, making Link's quest of departure all the more bittersweet.

1270541863_ZeldaLinksAwakeningMarin.thumb.jpg.8b6fa20820f456f01748ccd734238c1e.jpg

For anyone not familiar with Link's Awakening, the gameplay is pretty classic Zelda: explore the island to find dungeons, complete dungeons to earn new items, use items to explore Koholint further. It's an immensely satisfying gameplay loop and one that Link's Awakening does particularly well thanks to the relatively small size of Koholint. It's big enough that there are a lot of corners to poke around in and secrets to uncover, but small enough that it feels quite manageable and it's not too difficult to keep the map in your mind and remember what points of interest to return to. That makes this game particularly addictive and so easy to just lose yourself in. The Switch remake takes things one step further with a handy map system that allows you put down markers to remind yourself to come back later when you have more items at your disposal. Like other recent Zelda games this is a fantastic way of helping the player keep track of things without making it too easy.

Arguably the most valuable addition to this version of the game though is simply having a controller with more than two buttons. The original Game Boy version required pretty frequent swapping of items—including Link's sword and shield—which was, granted, simply a limitation of the Game Boy's hardware, but could also really bog down the experience. Now, however, the sword, shield, pegasus boots, and power bracelet are permanently equipped, which is a huge boost to the game's sense of flow. Anyone that played the original will be delighted by this seemingly simple but invaluable change.

668976897_ZeldaLinksAwakeningpokey.thumb.jpg.d90f257ca40eae66c59343a9ec673fd2.jpg

The game features a handful of other minor improvements and touches, all of which add up to making Link's Awakening feel like a much smoother, modern adventure. None of this betrays the original game's sense of charm, nor the relatively low sense of difficulty—that's not a bad thing, as Link's Awakening is still an eminently enjoyable adventure, just don't expect anything too complex or challenging. The Switch remake has also boosted the length of the game a bit by adding more collectibles, such as heart pieces and secret seashells. Some of the shells can be tricky to find, but any excuse to spend more time on Koholint Island feels worthwhile.

The other big addition to this new edition of Link's Awakening is Dampe the gravedigger and his Chamber Dungeon creator. Taking a page from Super Mario Maker, this feature allows players to make their own Zelda dungeons using pre-made rooms and arranging them in a tile grid. The rooms are taken from the dungeons you've already completed, so there's never anything too surprising at hand, but being able to rearrange these rooms as you see fit is a fun side venture. Sadly there isn't nearly as much creative freedom as Super Mario Maker, but given the fact that Zelda game design is far more complicated than a side-scrolling platformer, it makes sense that the game would have some limits on what you can do, and of course the game warns you if you've built too many locked doors with not enough treasure chests to hold keys. Chamber Dungeons aren't likely to hold your attention for too long compared to the main game, but they're still a neat addition to the world of Zelda, and may hopefully lead to a more robust system in the future.

1129675557_ZeldaLinksAwakeningthief.thumb.jpg.446ff34c432098b62584ce0ff8122aee.jpg

The visuals of Link's Awakening are almost entirely too adorable. Obviously a modern Switch game is a significant upgrade over the monochrome Game Boy original, and the toy box aesthetic is put to great use as every inch of Koholint is just utterly charming. Link's Awakening is already filled with some pretty cute critters (as well as transplants from the world of Mario) and this art style just makes them cuter. Link, Marin, and the rest of the cast are surprisingly expressive as well, which really layers on the adorable charm of the game. The technical side of things does leave something to be desired, though. There are noticeable frame rate drops when there is a lot happening on screen, i.e. parts of the overworld that are well populated by monsters, or when you transition from one area to another (there aren't strict screen breaks but the frame rate drop creates a sort of pseudo one). Did these frame rate issues ever inhibit my gameplay? No. But they're still bothersome to see, especially in a beloved core Nintendo franchise.

For a game about collecting musical instruments, it's no surprise that Link's Awakening has a pretty phenomenal soundtrack. The original game's music has stood the test of time well—even the Game Boy's basic chiptune audio couldn't diminish the catchy melodies throughout the game. And like the visual design, the new audio style is just delightful. It's bright and cheery, perfect for the overall tone of Link's Awakening, and does a great job of remixing songs to feel both fresh and familiar.

1584495358_ZeldaLinksAwakeningegg.thumb.jpg.7041de7f015ca2a9b0c14b4e3987d594.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remains one of Link's most enjoyable adventures, and the adjustments made to this Switch version only improve the experience. Aside from the persistent but minor frame rate hiccups, this remake does a fantastic job of adding valuable modern touches while preserving the original gameplay and spirit of the Game Boy title, while the Chamber Dungeon feature provides a novel side adventure, one that may well see further expansion in future Zelda titles. In a franchise filled with one incredible game after another, Link's Awakening continues to shine as a uniquely heartfelt and accessible entry, one that no Zelda fan can miss.

Rating: 9 out of 10 Secret Seashells
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, EH_STEVE said:

Your score is too low

I think it's just right.  

As a big fan of the game... I do admit the game does have a few problems. But, nothing overall major to stop playing the game. If you want to know more from my perspective: 

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK AWAKENING REMAKE FOR THE NINTENDO SWITCH... and my thoughts. 

21 years. It's been 21 years or so years since I first played Link's Awakening DX for the Game Boy Color. It was one of the first memories I had of being a casual gamer, and I'll never forget playing it when I went to the beach all those years ago. It, alongside the first Pokemon games, were my first steps into what would become one of my things I have done over the years. Play video games.   

But, back then, the adventure was kind of scary for eight-year -old me. I never properly finished it. Jump to around 2010-2011. It was on the 3DS Virtual Shop for around 10 bucks. So, I bought the game, and treaded old ground. This time, I was more prepared, and I was able to battle the NIGHTMARES that once haunted me as a kid. I was able to travel through the world known as Koholint with a brand-new pair of eyes. I preserved, and never gave up like I did in my past. Once I finally beat the game, I felt the power of joy, relief, and happiness. To finally have a victory over that game was amazing! I love Link’s Awakening.  

To this day, Link's Awakening DX is one of my top ten. Why should it drop down, when I have a clear bias and nostalgia for this game?! I know there were a few things wrong with it, but I didn't mind. I love the game to death.   

So, skip to an early Nintendo Direct 2019. I think it was the last video... when it showed the remake for the Nintendo Switch! I didn't like the art style at first, but over time grew to love it. It was a game I loved, and now it was getting a remake! I was shocked and floored to see it happen. Many people think A Link To The Past should've gotten one. I didn't care. Not in a million years did I think this would happen! 

I waited, and heard news of the Special Edition. Bought that sucker early on eBay. Too bad the things were never sold inside the United States, and it cost a lot. But, I didn't mind. The game was so so much for me.  

When the day finally arrived... it didn't come. The heck?! I tried to get in contact with the seller. None. Turns out... I was fooled. It was a ghost. They robbed me of my money. A lot of drama soon came following this. I eventually got a refund, and got a cheaper Special Edition that had another item. I waited. I waited. I waited. And then it FINALLY came.  

I checked out everything else before I checked game. The additional stuff, including the art book, made me feel teary-eyed. Things that were old were now fresh again.  

And, then... I played. The opening cutscene played out. I was my eight-year-old self again. THIS... IS LINK'S AWAKENING FOR THE NINTENDO SWITCH! 

Link's Awakening takes place sometime after the events of A Link To The Past. Link is on a raft, when a storm tries to take his life. He clings onto the raft as much as possible, but a bolt of lightning catches him off guard. A girl, named Marin, catches him unconscious on the beach of Koholint. Koholint, where Link's new adventure begins. Link wakes up, and Marin tells him that she doesn't know Zelda, he's on this island, and that she found his shield lying next to his body. Link treks to the beach, and eventually finds his sword. An owl tells Link that in order to return to Hyrule, he'll need to defeat the nightmares, find all of the siren instruments, and wake the Wind Fish. With his trusty sword and shield in hand, Link goes on a new journey. As this was the precursor to the other games like Majora's Mask that didn't have Zelda, it was new at the time not to have the usual Zelda story trope. But, as this was my first game, I didn't know about that, and didn't care. As long as a game has a good story, I'm always good to play the game I have.  

Do I need to repeat how cute this game is? The people, creatures, and enemies are incredible to look at. Although it does kind of make the bad guys look weaker and less dangerous in comparison, they still behave like they did in the original game. Some creatures from Mario invade Koholint, even the ANTI-KIRBY! Sure, the fogginess of the game is kind of jarring, and the game's speed is incredibly slow, but I kind of semi-excused the former as a stylistic choice (maybe it wan't intentional), and there were never too many moments where i needed to rush anything for the latter (except for Eagle Tower shenanigans). There are those who won't like what I say, and that's fair. I appreciate the difference. In most other games, that kind of speed is unforgivable for an action-packed game. I also love the new art directions for the places and dungeons, and it makes them feel even newer. 

Most of the music turns up the 10 to YES! I love the overworld theme and Tal Tal Heights theme a lot. It wasn't easy to make the shift regarding the new instrumentation, but I soon grew to love it. And, there are some of Game Boy sounds in some tunes. Still, there are some songs that have gotten worse. Animal Village, anyone? With all that said, however, the game tries to be as close to its roots as possible in regards to story, the art design, and such. And even the sound effects feel just as fun. Link does a little tap dance before he dashes and I love it.  

The gameplay itself has gotten a noticeable overhaul. The power bracelet, pegasus shoes, sword, and shield now have different corresponding buttons, and don't need to be swapped in and out like the Roc's Feather or Hookshot. Speaking of which, does the jumping arc feel more refined in this version, or is it just me? Attacking in multiple directions is a lot more fun in a top down setting. The flow of Link dashing feels clunky when he changes directions, since he has to tap dance every time, and that really killed my time with one of the latter mid-bosses. The game has a lot more heart pieces, so dying should not be a big problem this time around.  

Still, dying was barely an issue in this game. With the amount of stuff to do, I was able to take on the last  boss and defeat them with 1/2 health left. Most of the mini-bosses and bosses can go down real easy, with the right weapon. I think the hardest before the last boss was definitely clown in a jar. And most of the puzzles are simple to solve. I think either the Face Dungeon or Eagle Tower is the worst culprit of being way too confusing. I think the routes to the fourth and seventh dungeons and the means to enter were a little bit confusing too, but that's much about it for navigation.    

Not only does the game have more heart pieces, but more secret seashells. The seashells give Link a better sword, but I just used the regular sword for fun. Plus, thanks to a trade sequence, I got the boomerang once more. It may not be as useful as before, but the boomerang packs a punch. Bottles also appear (three instead of the usual four now), and fairies can be used to gain health, but they're not life-savers as usual. One would have to get medicine or a witch's potion to make it work. The Color Dungeon from the DX version has come back with the blue and red garbs, and I chose blue wisely. This version doesn't have the Game Boy picture feature, but it does have some photos. The one thing most people have mixed feelings about is Dampe's House dungeon creator. It's like Super Mario Maker... but it only uses dungeon room layouts from all nine dungeons. It's just barebones here, but a Super Zelda Maker would make this concept work. Plus, one would have to buy the certain Link amiibo to share the dungeons. ... I bought the amiibo anyways as a huge fan of the game to begin with. I just stuck with the main story overall.  

My time with the Link's Awakening remake has been mostly positive. Except for some odd music choices, the dashing, how fairies work in this game, and Dampe's House, I loved the changes that were instrumental in making this a better game. The game might be short... about 8-9 hours short, might seem a bit easy, and might not warrant full price, but as an avid fan of Link's Awakening... I didn't care that I spent a lot on the Special Edition. This remake is a lot more important for my gaming history, for thinking of the good old days, and how much the industry and myself have grown up since then. This trip started from my childhood and as of this review reached what seems like my peak of adulthood. Sure, it's not the best Zelda game in my opinion, but it's a game I'll go back a lot more than the other Zeldas nowadays. Link's Awakening... Awakened that childhood spirit once more, and I'll always be thankful for that. 

I gush a lot over this game, and I'll take no shame in that. 

Edited by XLW