GameStop redesigning their stores

alienboyva

I gotta say, this new look..It's damn good!. I love how clean and fresh everything looks. I've been into some GS stores where right when you walk in you can see that half of the store is full of geeky (non-video game) merch, which makes the store look super cluttered. I've sometimes had to remind myself that I'm in a video game store. :v  I really like how they have a space in the back for events (My local GS most likely won't have this, as they are a smaller store). Though, it's kind of stupid how they want you to be a pro member to play the retro systems and what not (not mentioned in the video, but mentioned here). Speaking of retro systems...They need to start having retro game/systems in store. I know they're testing this in some locations, but if they had retro games/systems, I might go in to GS more often and actually buy something. Though, they gotta work on their prices for retro games/systems. Some of their retro stuff on their site is massively over priced.

Edited by alienboyva

Tho, I don't live in the states and with the state of GS nowadays. This video, (I seen earlier today) I like what I see as well and share the same concerns of hanging out and sanitary duties. But I think the hang out can be resolved the with pro membership and a selected appointment times. Kinda like the geniuses and the genius bar. 

What is concern financially is how they will look after the store with wiping down controllers and making sure the couch is Frebreezed really. It may seem little but over time that will be costly is it really in GS interest with what's happening to them to go this far just to be back in the black. I'm no business expert but I'm sure most know that any new business will not make any real profit after a year or two. GS has been around for decades, do the really want to start from square on not make any profit on this remodeling effort?

Also, since I don't live in the states but Canada. I can say our EBGames your GS equivalent looks about the same, how the business up here and how the employees are better than in states, not by much but makes the difference with what is happening with GS. I wonder this is why Toy 'R' Us closed down there and is still open in Canada, hmm?

Overall l like this remodel and even if its not likely, I'd like this to come to Canada as well. 

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

they been payin you for all these ads lately?

LOL! They ain't got no money for that. They can't even keep all their stores open and all their corporate employees employed. Also, need I mention Game Informer? 😏

In all seriousness... Yeah, they've been in the news a lot lately, so...

The new look definitely seems interesting to me. I do think they're modernizing it well enough, but I do think they need a few more things on the walls as far as decoration goes. Maybe it just depends on the store, because I know that not every Gamestop is going to be that big to accommodate these newer aspects. The two near me are certainly not going to have the room to be able to fit that back area of the store or a couch for customers to sit around in trying out new games or having tournaments. For smaller stores, it'll be intriguing needless to say on how they decide to incorporate the modernized look compared to their bigger counterparts. I will say though, that I'm liking how the front of that store looks when it comes to the extra game-related merchandise they're trying to sell.  Kind of reminds me of a clothing store in the mall as soon as you walk in, which is kind of neat.

Best of luck Gamestop!

Gotta say, if Gamestops start looking more like that then I would be more compelled to shop there.  Right now the only time I pop into a GS is to track down a game I simply can't find anywhere else and because I haven't fully embraced the digital culture yet there are times where that becomes an issue.  But this looks really nice and is a nice step up from the current cluttered thrift store-ish look that always felt like a holdover from the days of Babbages and EB Games.

Gotta agree about the furniture bit though which seems a little much.  Then again, it might not be so bad if the Gamestop is large enough to where they can have days for socializing with table top gaming, tournaments and things like that.  If they do want you to be a pro member to play the retro systems then that's a bit much especially if it's only on retro stations and not the gaming stations for current platforms.

All in all, I can dig it and I'd like to see how something like this might turn out!

I have two different GS's in my town.

One I'd call a super store compared to the other which is more like a hole in the wall.  The big one has lighting that is way to dim, poor fixture setups, and doesn't seem to have its layout thought out very well and it looks kind of cramped with bad merchandising.  The other small one is brightly lit and is way more inviting on the inside but it to, is way to cluttered and not merchandised well.  I bet if they do close one out of my two, it will be the small one.  If the large one could just get the lighting right.  And if GS would go back to buy online/pick up in store on amiibos I might get back into them a little more.

I do agree though, that their overall selection and depth make them a good place to look for game accessories and stuff.

• Chrom featured this topic
  • 1 month later...