What exactly is SNK?

Vector

I recently heard of a credible leak that points to a character from a game company called SNK being the next Smash DLC. I really am not familiar with SNK, other than hearing of a small subset of fans wanting such a representative in. Who exactly is SNK, and why do they deserve a fighter in Smash? Can you fill me in on this?

Probably the best answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_(system)

Basically during the 16bit era they had a home system on the market that was arcade equivalent.  It wasn't a cheap system and nor were the games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNK

The branded out a ton of fighting game series.  Samurai Showdown....  Fatal Fury?  Final Fight?  King of Fighters?  ....someone more familiar with their catalog could really knowledge drop on that side.

Ah, SNK. Yes, they are best known for their fighting game series, such as Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Art of Fighting, and not to mention their crossover title The King of Fighters, which maybe has the most entries in their library. They also have other titles such as Metal Slug, Psycho Soldier, and Ikari Warriors.

Which is the most famous out of them all? The King of Fighters, which had ANNUAL releases from 94-2003, which after that switched to numbered releases with The King of Fighters XI and is no longer an annualized release. I remember playing through all of them a lot, except for the "Dream Team" installments, to get a feel of their narrative. It's kinda nuts. The Orochi Saga, NEST, Ash, makes me want to play through some of them again. Though the Ash saga is kinda odd from a gameplay perspective, since they used a 3-on-3 Tag mechanic (like MvC) as oppose to their usual 3-3 Elimination, then switch back to Elimination in the final episode of the arc.

Though keep in mind the SNK now is not the same company people like me knew in the past, since it has been shutdown and reopened a few times over the past decade or so. Going from SNK, to Playmore, SNK Playmore, then back to SNK now in a nutshell.

They're the company that made that witch touching game back on the DS, as well as the not-nearly-as-exciting as it sounds Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf.

More importantly, they made a ton of hugely popular arcade and fighting game titles, including Ikari Warriors, Fatal Fury, The King of Fighters, Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown, and are the SNK half of the Capcom vs SNK games. They celebrated their 40th anniversary last year, releasing the aptly named "SNK 40th Anniversary Collection" which had a heavy focus on its old-school games (pre-1990, with less of a focus on its fighting games). 

Edited by blcdude1

If we were to get an SNK rep I'd personally want to see Metal Slug instead of KoF, even though the latter really is more likely.

I don't really put much stock in rumors, though. Just as a rule.

20 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

No relation to Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball.

What about Barkley's Shut Up and Jam? I think I remember hearing that was a prequel of sorts...

• 1 month later...