Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Thursday Night Throwdown! @ 10pm ET!

Surge135

7 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

Just realized that with 48 new tracks, they are effectively doubling our track selection for races by the end of 2023. That's a whole new copy of MK8D for less than half of the suggested retail value.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — Booster Course Pass for the Nintendo Switch™ system — Official Site

Perusing the details now....

*FREE WITH NSO EXPANSION PACK  / $25 straight up*

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — Booster Course Pass for the Nintendo Switch™ system — Official Site

Edited by purple_beard

Okay, who currently race here or those who come. I say it is absolutely recommended you buy this booster pass.

And those who do race with us now and don't have this by March 24th, (6 day after the release of the first wave and the first day of the night we can race with these new course) better not so up till you have purchased this pass. No exceptions!

When all said and one there will be 96 courses in this game, that is krazy and I am fine at least for now that it doesn't come with new chars or karts. I don't see any details from with PB provided that chars and karts are coming. Even if it was, I think this would cost more for it.

Speaking of cost, where every one stand on having the Expansion Pack or not, imo it is better to buy this DLC then in the rare case that you don't pay for subscription that you still have the DLC.

I think I’d just buy the pass for $25, rather than adding $30 a year for my NSO subscription. But I will admit I’ll probably have to get the NSO expansion pass subscription later down the line eventually. 

I wasn’t really expecting to see more tracks added to MK8 Dlx, but it’s better than having nothing while waiting for 9 or whatever they call the next Mario Kart. It’s a shame there’s no word on new characters, kart parts, or the character costumes that are in Mario Kart Tour. But doubling the track list is definitely more than enough to me. Even though they are pre-existing tracks. I think the Choco Mountain in this booster pack is how it looks in Mario Kart Tour, which makes me think most of the remastered tracks are straight out of Mario Kart Tour.

Also when I checked the site to see make sure it was $25 for the whole pass or if it was $25 for each wave, I saw that the site mislabeled Mushroom Ridge as a 3DS track when it’s from Mario Kart DS. I hope we see more tracks that haven’t appeared in a retro cup in past Mario Kart titles that had retro cups. Then again I wouldn’t mind seeing Waluigi Pinball in HD.

@The Albraskan: I think that's smart choice to get the DLC but you have no choice when you don't have the expansion pack. To me any path you take to get this DLC it's gonna be worth it sans characters or kart parts. It would be nice but I'm not gonna be greedy and ask for that if it might cost more.

Smash appeal is the fighters, the characters, Mario Karts is about the courses and karts part is a new thing since MK7 and is only 11 years old at this point.

I can afford the expansion for the NSO, but I’m going to wait until they add more N64 games- which I don’t know how many more the can add that aren’t licensed or need permission from Microsoft/Rare to bring out Rate made N64 games (outside DK64 I’d presume). Plus adding $30 to the NSO subscription when it doesn’t fix the online connections to existing games like Smash Ultimate is still pretty steep to me.

Though technically all the offerings in the NSO expansion pass subscription now already adds up to around $50 or more under the single user subscription plan. But that’s if you’re big on both Animal Crossing NH, Mario Kart 8 Dlx, and N64 and Genesis games.

Edit: Well to make this Mario Kart related instead of me rambling on about NSO expansion, I’m going to share what someone I forgotten I had subscribed to on YouTube had to say about the dlc tracks. Their take isn’t positive, but sorta confirms what I suspected from the returning tracks-that they’re just pulled straight from Mario Kart Tour.

Spoiler

DE74A3DF-0951-4D6C-84FE-ED72E3529FCD.thumb.jpeg.c47fd452c73fab979eee803301311773.jpeg

They did bring up a point with their post, that art style and detail of the two tracks in the screen cap are sort of noticeable. But it most likely won’t matter during actual races since you’ll be racing.

Even though I cropped out the YouTube Channel’s name to avoid people going after them just in case, I’m curious to know if anyone here knows which YouTube channel posted this.

Edited by The Albraskan
Wanted to avoid double posting

I'll bring this up sometime tonight but during the Direct I noticed in the Mario Kart DLC trailer that the voice sounded familiar. Had a hunch that it was Luci Christian, an anime Voice Actress. I tweeted about it.

So that happened!

Other people noticed, did the same thing and got a reply from her but it's still crazy!

See you guys in an hour.