Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Thursday Night Throwdown! @ 10pm ET!

Surge135

Change of plans for me tonight...

I woke up today with a ear ache (first in 20 years!) and I guess since it's been so long and it wasn't that bad it would subside with time and treatment but it gotten a bit worse than this morning. I don't think it will get better or go away by 10pm. So I got a bow out of tonight battle mode.

Hope you guys have fun and formulate some ideas and solid plans for party game night. I think I gonna miss talking about that the most.

• 2 weeks later...

@TKrazyO: I'm sure we heard you on Discord from time to time, you seem to do the thumbnail last.

What I want to ask, (not sure if I have before) how do you sequence edit vids? I think once you hear aloud how you do that or someone repeat back to you or comment on how you can change a order, (if possible) you might break the habit (if it is a habit) doing thumbnails last minute. But also on the other hand, who knows, you saying your thumbnails are all the same when you do them last minute is for the better once you accept that it is what it is and the variety of thumbnails will come. Instead always thinking, 'ah man I am doing thumbnails last again, this isn't gonna come out the way I want it'. Just trust there's a reason you keep doing them last and you will eventually see thumbnail ideas come to you.

6 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I'm sure we heard you on Discord from time to time, you seem to do the thumbnail last.

What I want to ask, (not sure if I have before) how do you sequence edit vids? I think once you hear aloud how you do that or someone repeat back to you or comment on how you can change a order, (if possible) you might break the habit (if it is a habit) doing thumbnails last minute. But also on the other hand, who knows, you saying your thumbnails are all the same when you do them last minute is for the better once you accept that it is what it is and the variety of thumbnails will come. Instead always thinking, 'ah man I am doing thumbnails last again, this isn't gonna come out the way I want it'. Just trust there's a reason you keep doing them last and you will eventually see thumbnail ideas come to you.

Since I usually upload the videos on either Sunday or Monday, I don't start editing what I recorded until Sunday (earliest is probably on Saturday, at least getting the elements in order beforehand).

Process:

• Separate the audio channels into 3 different files. That being the game's audio, my live commentary and the Discord voice chat. (Usually done on Saturday)
  • Import the video and all the audio into editing software, put video on timeline, detach it's audio to replace with the 3 audio files and wait for the program to fully render everything. Can save it for editing later.
    • Takes a bit since the preview display is set to Best Quality. Allows me to see transition errors that rendering at low quality won't show. Won't use if for some reason the program is having audio delay issues for that project.
  • Post render editing starts- Cut the start of recording up to our first course selection. Add any overlays or subtitles before the first race. Go straight to the end of the recording, edit in the results screen transition starting from the end of the final race into the outro and put "Final Race or Battle" banner overlay right before the final race or battle starts.
    • Raise or lower audio volume for game, comm or discord. Different levels depending on the week.
  • After the intro and outro are edited- Watch through the course selection portions for dead air, audio problems, conversation points, subtitle edits, etc. Video title is decided from either something I remember during races or something from course selections. Will only watch races for certain moments (conversations or freezing issues).
  • Export video then scrub through the finished product for transition errors.
  • Either write part of the video description during editing or after exporting but before uploading. Rarely after I've started uploading.
  • Upload video, put in video info, end card stuff, publish date/time.
  • Make Thumbnail

For the thumbnail I have the main template for it. The only things that usually change on them are the part number, the date, the race edition (Mirror or 200cc) and the screenshot used. If I don't fully rush the thumbnail (just a screenshot) I'll add elements to it related to what happened that night. Since I mainly use a screenshot from one of the last 12 races in MKTV, that limits what I can use. I also try at some points to match what either happened in the session or match the video title. Titles are hard to come up with these days. I'm not an artist to the point of having original art on them.

What I'm getting at mostly as this pertains to Smash highlight videos as well is that these weekly videos are getting to the point of only getting 1 view. I know you guys don't go back to watch these videos or even watch them at all. It's just trying to make them eyepopping (not clickbaity) enough to get interest from other people to watch us race. We have very interesting conversations during these races, the races are good too but there's something there, it's just buried under everything else on Twitch or YouTube.

That's all I'll share because it's late and I have work in the morning.

17 hours ago, TKrazyO said:

Since I usually upload the videos on either Sunday or Monday, I don't start editing what I recorded until Sunday (earliest is probably on Saturday, at least getting the elements in order beforehand).

Process:

• Separate the audio channels into 3 different files. That being the game's audio, my live commentary and the Discord voice chat. (Usually done on Saturday)
  • Import the video and all the audio into editing software, put video on timeline, detach it's audio to replace with the 3 audio files and wait for the program to fully render everything. Can save it for editing later.
    • Takes a bit since the preview display is set to Best Quality. Allows me to see transition errors that rendering at low quality won't show. Won't use if for some reason the program is having audio delay issues for that project.
  • Post render editing starts- Cut the start of recording up to our first course selection. Add any overlays or subtitles before the first race. Go straight to the end of the recording, edit in the results screen transition starting from the end of the final race into the outro and put "Final Race or Battle" banner overlay right before the final race or battle starts.
    • Raise or lower audio volume for game, comm or discord. Different levels depending on the week.
  • After the intro and outro are edited- Watch through the course selection portions for dead air, audio problems, conversation points, subtitle edits, etc. Video title is decided from either something I remember during races or something from course selections. Will only watch races for certain moments (conversations or freezing issues).
  • Export video then scrub through the finished product for transition errors.
  • Either write part of the video description during editing or after exporting but before uploading. Rarely after I've started uploading.
  • Upload video, put in video info, end card stuff, publish date/time.
  • Make Thumbnail

For the thumbnail I have the main template for it. The only things that usually change on them are the part number, the date, the race edition (Mirror or 200cc) and the screenshot used. If I don't fully rush the thumbnail (just a screenshot) I'll add elements to it related to what happened that night. Since I mainly use a screenshot from one of the last 12 races in MKTV, that limits what I can use. I also try at some points to match what either happened in the session or match the video title. Titles are hard to come up with these days. I'm not an artist to the point of having original art on them.

What I'm getting at mostly as this pertains to Smash highlight videos as well is that these weekly videos are getting to the point of only getting 1 view. I know you guys don't go back to watch these videos or even watch them at all. It's just trying to make them eyepopping (not clickbaity) enough to get interest from other people to watch us race. We have very interesting conversations during these races, the races are good too but there's something there, it's just buried under everything else on Twitch or YouTube.

That's all I'll share because it's late and I have work in the morning.

Ah, I see thanks for the above perspective of your video editing process.

So what I observed in process of editing vids sounds like what most ppl would do, now to pinpoint to me where you could make at thumbnail and see if that sparks anything is the 5th and 6th last point. The export part and writing vid description. Prior to the 4th last point, you run thru the vid for audio issues and etc. Why don't during that time (and yeah you mind could be somewhere or is a habit to stick this part of the process) you starting thinking about the thumbnail and or creating it there, if possible? Just a thoughtful suggestion to see if that sparks something, along with video titles as well. As you just rewatched some of the footage, all sort of things could be going thru your mind as a process or habit but things you remembered said or what is happening, if you break from that might allow you think of a thumbnail and title for the vid.

Can't say much to change the process you have for the little make ups for the thumbnail with dates and certain images but while you are rewatching phase editing, bring these thoughts sooner so you can probably get better ideas so it doesn't seem like you are creating the same thumbnail over and over again with minor changes. We also know it doesn't help that with this repetition, that you don't see that much viewership. Can't say one is linked with the other or that it is easier said then done to separate that. (I suggest the latter, if you can once and a while so you can give yourself the freedom to think more without thinking of the same things over and over again) 

Either way, all I am saying, shake up the process order, you obviously and I knew before asking you got a great system but something can only be great for so long out of convenience.  So no need to change the schedule when you edit, that's your personal prerogative and everything else you said is line how most would edit. So all you gotta do, if you want a change, shuffle that place I mentioned near the end of video editing process a bit to see if something new take blossom as idea for titles and thumbnails.

I hope that helped and you understood the above. Again, just a thoughtful suggestion.

7 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Saying this now, just in case.

My movie time for Teeny Man and the Lady Wasp: Journey to the Centre of the earth is at 7pm ET on February 16th and the movie is 2hrs long roughly.

Movie theater is like 20 minutes away from where I live, I'll update after movie concludes, if I will make it on time.

Going Sunday myself.  Baseball game coverage conflicting with Friday, Going to Stadium Series game Saturday so out of town. Sunday is like my only day LOL.  Unless I can squeeze in a Thursday preview show.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Ha

How long ago did you watch this video?

Tho posted an hour from this post, vid is not available in this country. That's a strange one, this isn't Netflix, where content of another country won't show in another. I didn't even know YT had vids like that. So strange, check it out the source if you can.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

How long ago did you watch this video?

Tho posted an hour from this post, vid is not available in this country. That's a strange one, this isn't Netflix, where content of another country won't show in another. I didn't even know YT had vids like that. So strange, check it out the source if you can.

I guess go to YouTube and look for SNL's videos... not sure why Canadian access to watch would be weird.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

I guess go to YouTube and look for SNL's videos... not sure why Canadian access to watch would be weird.

Yeah, that is weird.

As I said I get that for Netflix but YT. I have family that live in the states and we have a couple shows that doesn't show up in their Netflix and vica versa.

Is this a change YT did or something? It's stupid when YT is more readily more accessible then Netflix to some extent...

I did that and I can see their vids fine but I guess what you want to look for is MK related of course. I don't see that. The mystery deepens, is the reason I can't see it cause it's only available to the US so why can I see vids from 11hrs again but not this specific video, then?

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, that is weird.

As I said I get that for Netflix but YT. I have family that live in the states and we have a couple shows that doesn't show up in their Netflix and vica versa.

Is this a change YT did or something? It's stupid when YT is more readily more accessible then Netflix to some extent...

I did that and I can see their vids fine but I guess what you want to look for is MK related of course. I don't see that. The mystery deepens, is the reason I can't see it cause it's only available to the US so why can I see vids from 11hrs again but not this specific video, then?

I guess you could google Saturday Night Live Mario Kart.  And look for the most recent posting as this came from last night's show.  I saw the YT this morning and thought it was great.  Almost as great as the Robot Chicken Mario Kart/Grand Theft Auto crossover sketch.