Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Thursday Night Throwdown! @ 10pm ET!

Surge135

With how the stream connection was unstable and OBS overloading my CPU, the stream VOD was deleted and the recording was screwed up. No Mario Kart video next week.

This explanation is a bit technical. I'll break it down to make it easier to understand.

In OBS there are Scenes and Sources. The Scene is the main component of what's presented on the screen when it's selected. The Sources are the smaller components or widgets that make up what is on that specific Scene.

To simplify this situation, certain sources or widgets take up CPU. In two Scenes that I remade for a new look I had multiple browser sources on that were likely loaded up even when I was on a different Scene which probably overloaded the CPU.

I hadn't made a dummy Scene with the browser sources/widgets in place so I could use that Scene as a source for the main Scene to lower CPU Usage.

After the races I did just that to fix those main stream Scenes and test streamed for a bit to check the CPU usage. Ran fine with Sonic Mania as a base.

TL;DR- Because I rushed remaking certain scenes the multiple browser sources being used most likely used up my CPU to the point of making the stream and OBS unstable which messed up the stream itself and the recording. So no Mario Kart video next week.

So I'm pretty mad about that.

48 minutes ago, TKrazyO said:

With how the stream connection was unstable and OBS overloading my CPU, the stream VOD was deleted and the recording was screwed up. No Mario Kart video next week.

This explanation is a bit technical. I'll break it down to make it easier to understand.

In OBS there are Scenes and Sources. The Scene is the main component of what's presented on the screen when it's selected. The Sources are the smaller components or widgets that make up what is on that specific Scene.

To simplify this situation, certain sources or widgets take up CPU. In two Scenes that I remade for a new look I had multiple browser sources on that were likely loaded up even when I was on a different Scene which probably overloaded the CPU.

I hadn't made a dummy Scene with the browser sources/widgets in place so I could use that Scene as a source for the main Scene to lower CPU Usage.

After the races I did just that to fix those main stream Scenes and test streamed for a bit to check the CPU usage. Ran fine with Sonic Mania as a base.

TL;DR- Because I rushed remaking certain scenes the multiple browser sources being used most likely used up my CPU to the point of making the stream and OBS unstable which messed up the stream itself and the recording. So no Mario Kart video next week.

So I'm pretty mad about that.

Sounds like you need Tron, he fights for the users!

7 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I'm lowkey not upset by no recording.  Was not a good race for me and I definitely was so tired after work yesterday I was nodding off in the middle of the last several races.  If you saw me inexplicably running straight into walls and off course, it's cause I nodded off a bit before catching myself XD

Ah, so not only do you do this on 200cc but when you are drowsy behind the controller.

Mentally noting that.

Aight, since we now know how much the NSO + Expansion Pack is for access to the N64 library, the following question is one that is now coupled to another. Knowing what we have to work with as MK64 has a player limit of 4 per game, it gets me wondering...

How many of our MK8D regulars are on board with the Expansion Pack pricing and are going to upgrade come next week? And for those that are getting the Pack, is anyone interested in playing MK64 once a month as opposed to MK8D? This is just a proposal and not a confirmed change as MK64 means having to split the crew we have up into two smaller groups. Depending on how many are up for it, that can make or break the 4-player groups, so I really want to make sure we have the numbers for MK64 before we try it.

I've been wondering how the online for MK64 would work as well? Yes, it supports up to four plays locally so that would be reflected online. That is different since the Wii can have 12 ppl race online same 4 ppl locally up current MK. What I am asking is that there's up 8 karts per races in MK64, currently in MK you can choose to have CPU fill in the rest karts can play or not. So is MK64 online just 4 players at time and the other 4 is CPU or, just players at a time or the screen would be split 4 ways with 8 players playing online?

As for me and getting the expansion pack, currently it is firm no until day of release to see how this prorated rate of getting this expansion pack. If the rate is not good enough I will not get this no mater how time passes by or if there's a title I want to play. That's where I stand.

I *MIGHT* do a one month N64 to see if I like it because I find the drop frequency of games might be too lack luster for the full year...but I am still middling that in my mind...

WHO here actually plans to get it day 1 for MK64?

HOW would we handle trying to do 4p set ups?

*WOULD* we consider MK64, FZX, and DrM64.... and who knows... possible DKR as games to play for a two hour stretch on a particular night?

@DLurkster You're basically playing the local multiplayer online. So when you play something like MK64 it will be split screen 4 players only multiplayer. I believe 4 player didn't have the ai race.

@purple_beardNot for any specific games but I will be renewing the family plan for the $80 Expansion Pack. It would be handled on Discord. If the player base was there, other games could be played.

Okay, so 4 players online for MK64. I bought this up before but I forget where I hear the response for this to do this on another day of the week like Mondays when we had MK7 on those nights. I look at it like this, unless it is holiday falling on Thursday we have less than 3 ppl a night. Even on less than demand night on Thursday at least 5 or more show up, meaning on person would not be able to play MK64. If relocated to another night, the chances of 4 ppl showing up is more likely on availability and such. This is just a thought to make those who are gonna show can play and how many of those actually get the expansion pack as well. So it doesn't have to be Mondays.

I believe the initial idea was to do it on the Thursdays where every month we rotate from mirror mode and battle mode. Regardless, setting a day, who will come, and who got the expansion pack has to be set first before deciding MK64 nights is a thing.

Exactly. I wanna make sure we have enough getting the Expansion Pack and that it won't exclude half of the group if we would have done MK8D instead.

Monday night would not work for Krazy so that is not preferable. Thus why I brought up the Thursday option.

I'm not going to make it Thursday. I have to get up early the next day to go out of town for reasons I mentioned (sort of) last week.

For anyone wondering... As much as I'd love to play MK64 online with you guys, I'm not getting the NSO EP. I don't feel it's worth more than 2x the price of the base membership.

Edited by alienboyva

I'll have to see what I can salvage from the recording since the audio went out of sync, the footage is choppy and the full tournament isn't there. If I can't sync the audio with the footage then there won't be a video next week either.

More updates to come.