GameStop lays off HALF of Game Informer's staff

Game Informer puts out some really great content and this is really sad to hear, especially since how long they've been around. I almost forgot GameStop owned GI. I wish they would have just sold off GI instead of laying off nearly half of their staff. I know GS has been in trouble for a while, but that first thing they should have done was sold off GI. I don't see what good it's doing GS or GI keeping them around.

While I never had a sub to the magazine, I did watch their content on YouTube like the video version of their podcast and Replay. Man, I loved their Replay series they'd to every week, where they'd play old (non-curent gen) video games. I've been watching that since the early days and I've felt I've really gotten to know a good amount of the GI staff over the years. These are all great people that have really have a passion for their work/video games. I wish all that have been effected luck in their future endeavors.

As a few staffers have left in the past, their podcast and especially Replay, just isn't going to be the same with out a good chunk of the regulars. *sigh* It really makes me wonder what the future will be for GI. I'd really hate to see the go completely.

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to GameStop lays off HALF of Game Informe's staff

Gamestop is facing market realities quickly.  I'm really curious how much longer they'll be able to sustain themselves.  Their stock price took a beating yesterday but then again one year ago today their stock price was nearly six times higher than it is now.  Cratering is an understatement.

• Chrom featured this topic
On 8/22/2019 at 8:52 AM, Doc Brown said:

but I feel bad for the workers

yeah sucks but honestly probably liberating for them after all the gamestop horror stories i've heard

On 8/22/2019 at 8:52 AM, Doc Brown said:

and the customers

?? why

6 hours ago, Pichi said:

yeah sucks but honestly probably liberating for them after all the gamestop horror stories i've heard

?? why

id assume bc there arent many other options for some ppl

i will never shop at amazon again and at least GS has a real selection rather than a picked over walmart or target 

I just hope that when they finally do go out of business I have money to buy all the shit I want at a huge discount.  I been buying a lot of crap from them online with their retro stuff because some of it is reasonably priced.  For example, I got a copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day for $50 off them last year on a game sale.  So when they finally get flushed down the shitter and start having major going out of business sales, my ass is going to hit it hard!

11 hours ago, wildflower said:

id assume bc there arent many other options for some ppl

i will never shop at amazon again and at least GS has a real selection rather than a picked over walmart or target 

This, and the anti video game propaganda Wal-Mart kinda has going on right now (buying into the blaming violent games for IRL shootings BS and thus removing ads for said games) isn’t helping either. 

Physical gaming will only further suffer with GameStop’s eventual demise, even though it is mostly by GS’s own doing. Can say I at least like all the extra game series merchandise and stuff they have nowadays.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:00 AM, Irondog666 said:

I just hope that when they finally do go out of business I have money to buy all the shit I want at a huge discount.  I been buying a lot of crap from them online with their retro stuff because some of it is reasonably priced.  For example, I got a copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day for $50 off them last year on a game sale.  So when they finally get flushed down the shitter and start having major going out of business sales, my ass is going to hit it hard!

I had plans to raid a Blockbuster when they finally went the way of the dodo but I dragged my feet on it.  When I finally did run up on one their gaming section was picked clean but I still managed to walk out with Bayonetta for XBOX 360 and Need for Speed Nitro on Wii.  Both great games and the former introducing me to the greatness of Bayonetta.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, Kezay said:

I had plans to raid a Blockbuster when they finally went the way of the dodo but I dragged my feet on it.  When I finally did run up on one their gaming section was picked clean but I still managed to walk out with Bayonetta for XBOX 360 and Need for Speed Nitro on Wii.  Both great games and the former introducing me to the greatness of Bayonetta.

I am stashing away money just for the eventual GameStop raid lol.  I mean as soon as they say "GS is going out of business and shutting down x stores?"  I am going to hit up every GS store within my area (which there are about 10 lol) and I am going to buy every fucking game I can.  I am just hoping they don't get stupid and give people a lousy ass 10% off games or something dumb like that.  Still, I expect deep discounts off used games and I will be raiding lol.  Then I will post my haul up on here.  WE CAN DO A GS RAID HAUL THREAD LOL!!

• alienboyva changed the title to GameStop lays off HALF of Game Informer's staff
10 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

I am stashing away money just for the eventual GameStop raid lol.  I mean as soon as they say "GS is going out of business and shutting down x stores?"  I am going to hit up every GS store within my area (which there are about 10 lol) and I am going to buy every fucking game I can.  I am just hoping they don't get stupid and give people a lousy ass 10% off games or something dumb like that.  Still, I expect deep discounts off used games and I will be raiding lol.  Then I will post my haul up on here.  WE CAN DO A GS RAID HAUL THREAD LOL!!

Liquidations are a luck of the draw kind of thing, the part that's gonna be tough is hoping people don't rush down the doors when the discounts are low.  I guarantee you that if they do start it will be a slow burn before you see any deep discounts so you likely will see stuff like 5%-10% off on highly sought after merch first.  As the weeks go on the discounts will get deeper but the merch that barely moves will receive bigger discounts much more quickly.  Liquidation isn't about clearing out stock as quickly as you can, it's about clearing out stock at the greatest rate of return.  While the store is gearing up to close down they still have debts to be paid and are still looking to bring in some kind of return even with slashed prices.

16 hours ago, Kezay said:

Liquidations are a luck of the draw kind of thing, the part that's gonna be tough is hoping people don't rush down the doors when the discounts are low.  I guarantee you that if they do start it will be a slow burn before you see any deep discounts so you likely will see stuff like 5%-10% off on highly sought after merch first.  As the weeks go on the discounts will get deeper but the merch that barely moves will receive bigger discounts much more quickly.  Liquidation isn't about clearing out stock as quickly as you can, it's about clearing out stock at the greatest rate of return.  While the store is gearing up to close down they still have debts to be paid and are still looking to bring in some kind of return even with slashed prices.

Knowing the way that GS operates I am not getting my hopes up too high on huge discounts but I do believe there will be huge discounts on used merch due to the fact that they make a ton of money off used merch.   When Radio Shack went under, I got lucky with that one.  I got Surge Protectors (like the $30 ones) for $1 a piece.  I got a Logitech Harmony Remote (which I still have and love) for $25 and it was going for $135 there.  Gaming Keyboards and Mice I managed to snag for $10 and they were regularly priced around $90.  So with some of it I have done very well with. I expect there will be some pretty damn solid deals. 

What I am really going to be keeping an eye on for when they finally do go under is the Retro shit on gamestop.com.  There are a lot of older games that I want to get my hands on but some of it is just prohibitively expensive.  That is also stuff I couldn't see going extremely fast (at least not on the same level as the newer shit).  I could definitely see them putting buy 2 get 2 free or even a BOGO or some shit on the pre-owned or retro shit on there.  That is what I really want since I am a collector of retro games and rather play those then 95% of the new shit that hits the market.