Game Boy 30th Anniversary!

Yesterday (7/31) the Game Boy turned 30 ...

So, who feels old now? :v y;

*I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.

I'll never forget my first time playing Game Boy and getting one of my own...

The first time I every saw/played a Game Boy was when a kid a day care let me play his. I remember it was during the Summer and we were watching a movie (we had the lights off of course), so he had one of those lights on his GB. I asked if I could play and the game I got to play was Tetris (the game he had currently been playing). This was the first time I played Tetris and I didn't really know what I was doing, but the concept was simple, stack blocks. A while after that I remember having a dream where I went to the store and got a GB of my own. I woke up excited to play my new GB to only realize, it was just a dream. That year I asked of a GB for Xmas and I think my parents bought it used from someone, because it came with a nylon pouch case and quite a few games. I played that thing all day that Xmas and at the end of they day when we were eating dinner, I remember telling my parents that Super Mario Land was my favorite game out of the ones I had gotten.

I played the shit out of my GB as a kid. That thing was always with me. Eventually, I got a GBC (not sure what happened to my original GB, as I gave it to my little bro) for Xmas when it came out (never had a GB Pocket). However, I do of an OG GB. A few years ago we were cleaning out my Gamdma's house (see was selling it and moving in with my Aunt). and in her shed we found a OG GB and a few games, plus the official battery pack and OG headphones that came with it. Turns out it was my Uncle's and he didn't really have any use for it anymore, so he let me have it. Though, the screen is messed up, but the games are like new. I guess it had been sitting in my Grandma's basement all these years and eventually got put in the shed when we cleaned out her basement.

Spoiler

Yeah, I need to clean this thing... And it still has that shiny Poké Ball sticker on it that I got from a friend at day care. :P 

Some of my best memories with GB are playing GB with my friends at day care, mainly Pokémon (gen I). We had all gotten on of the games for Xmas the year Red and Blue came out (we had recently gotten into PKMN, but that's a whole other story) and even though we were all at different parts, it was like we were all on the same Pokémon journey together.  :) I remember for a good while I was the go to guy for the link cable, as I was the only one who had one. 

I loved the Game Boy! So many good games and so many good memories, especially with friends. ^_^

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Game Boy 30th Anniversary!

My top 5 Game Boy games:

1. Kirby's Dream Land 2

2. Pokémon (Red, Blue, Yellow)

3. Links Awakening (Didn't play until the 3DS VC release)

4. Donkey Kong GB

5. Super Mario Land 2

Honorable Mentions...

- Kirby's Block Ball

- Kwirk

- Pokémon (Gold, Silver, Crystal) <-- Didn't want 2 PKMN games on the list

- Game Boy Camera

- Tetris

- Metroid II

Edited by alienboyva
2 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Yesterday (7/31) the Game Boy turned 30 ...

So, who feels old now? :v y;

*I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.

I'll never forget my first time playing Game Boy and getting one of my own...

The first time I every saw/played a Game Boy was when a kid a day care let me play his. I remember it was during the Summer and we were watching a movie (we had the lights off of course), so he had one of those lights on his GB. I asked if I could play and the game I got to play was Tetris (the game he had currently been playing). This was the first time I played Tetris and I didn't really know what I was doing, but the concept was simple, stack blocks. A while after that I remember having a dream where I went to the store and got a GB of my own. I woke up excited to play my new GB to only realize, it was just a dream. That year I asked of a GB for Xmas and I think my parents bought it used from someone, because it came with a nylon pouch case and quite a few games. I played that thing all day that Xmas and at the end of they day when we were eating dinner, I remember telling my parents that Super Mario Land was my favorite game out of the ones I had gotten.

I played the shit out of my GB as a kid. That thing was always with me. Eventually, I got a GBC (not sure what happened to my original GB, as I gave it to my little bro) for Xmas when it came out (never had a GB Pocket). However, I do of an OG GB. A few years ago we were cleaning out my Gamdma's house (see was selling it and moving in with my Aunt). and in her shed we found a OG GB and a few games, plus the official battery pack and OG headphones that came with it. Turns out it was my Uncle's and he didn't really have any use for it anymore, so he let me have it. Though, the screen is messed up, but the games are like new. I guess it had been sitting in my Grandma's basement all these years and eventually got put in the shed when we cleaned out her basement.

Hide contents

Yeah, I need to clean this thing... And it still has that shiny Poké Ball sticker on it that I got from a friend at day care. :P 

Some of my best memories with GB are playing GB with my friends at day care, mainly Pokémon (gen I). We had all gotten on of the games for Xmas the year Red and Blue came out (we had recently gotten into PKMN, but that's a whole other story) and even though we were all at different parts, it was like we were all on the same Pokémon journey together.  :) I remember for a good while I was the go to guy for the link cable, as I was the only one who had one. 

I loved the Game Boy! So many good games and so many good memories, especially with friends. ^_^

Nice! I have Tetris and some other games for mine. Bought it for $50 off a friend. It's how I got hooked on Pokemon, Mario, Mortal Kombat and Tetris :P.

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Nice! I have Tetris and some other games for mine. Bought it for $50 off a friend. It's how I got hooked on Pokemon, Mario, Mortal Kombat and Tetris :P.

Mortal Kombat? Would not have expected that, but nice. The Game Boy port for MK1 taught me what bad framerate meant, but the GB version of MK2 was incredibly decent.

Similar story for me with Donkey Kong I guess. There was the one based on the arcade but had a bunch of more levels after the first four, a whole game’s worth. And then there was Donkey Kong Land which served as a nice substitute for Donkey Kong Country before I was able to get that. Had gotten both versions of 2 and 3 as well to see the differences.

33 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Mortal Kombat? Would not have expected that, but nice. The Game Boy port for MK1 taught me what bad framerate meant, but the GB version of MK2 was incredibly decent.

Similar story for me with Donkey Kong I guess. There was the one based on the arcade but had a bunch of more levels after the first four, a whole game’s worth. And then there was Donkey Kong Land which served as a nice substitute for Donkey Kong Country before I was able to get that. Had gotten both versions of 2 and 3 as well to see the differences.

Yep only for me it was the third one. Just said Mortal Kombat as short hand. Didn't have the first one.  I'll have to check out vids of it to see the bad framerate from it.

My story with the gameboy is brief and I went through 3 gens, that is exactly how many elementary school I went through as child to.

I own a OG gameboy back in 1995 and I think I had two games Tetris and Bart Simpson game where Bart goes to camp. (that game was hard back then) 2 to 3 year later I got gameboy pocket in black. Now that I think on that was my fave one and finally just in time for Pokemon GSC, I had a lime green game color.

I'm sure I never own most the games I played on my gameboys and all played are the one I actually owned and played.

The end.

I got my first Game Boy when I was in 5th grade.  My mom got it, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Land 2 for me when I was going on a school safety partrol trip to Washington D.C. for a week.  It was one of the Play It Loud series, the red one in fact.

A lot of great memories playing it.  SML2 was fun and very different from what I was used to in Mario games which was cool and I too really liked playing Mortal Kombat on it.  I remember borrowing Mortal Kombat II and getting my own copy of MK3, which I then lost but that's a story for a different day.  I think once my bro got his own when the Game Boy Pocket came out is when we really started appreciating the handheld a lot more.  Stuff like Wario Land, Shadowgate, Final Fantasy Adventure (which I borrowed from a friend), Link's Awakening, Gameboy Camera and a bunch of other stuff was just different and fun.  But then Pokemon Red and Blue came out and that was it.  I'll still never forget how much time we would spend playing those games before going to bed at night and even in the morning before going to school.

Can't remember when I first got a Game Boy, 'cause as a kid I'd just play my older brothers' systems! We had two (and a link cable to battle in Tetris) and I certainly remember whiling away the hours playing Super Mario Land 2, Qix, Tetris, and Kirby's Dream Land. In fact Dream Land is probably one of the first games I was ever able to beat start to finish—it was definitely a much easier challenge than tackling Metroid II or the Game Boy Ninja Turtles games as a kid! It wasn't until the Game Boy Color that I'd have a handheld system to truly call my own, instead of one shared among my siblings, but I definitely have fond memories of the original Game Boy brick and its games.

• Chrom featured this topic