The House - N4A Chat Thread - August 2019

April

N4A Monthly Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. what's ur fav House era?

• Kaga's Inferno
    • Eliwood's Fun Time Party Advance
    • Ike can solo the game but can he stop this series from being cancelled?
    • The Great Waifu Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/19 at 05:59 AM

How about we talk about some positive YouTubers for a change?

*Chuggaaconroy: His undying enthusiasm for every game he plays, coupled with high production values and likeable personality.

*ProtonJon: Upload schedule aside, his videos are always a riot, whether it be looking for glitches, raging at something stupid, or deliberately trying to break the game.

*NintendoCapriSun: His toilet humor is kind of gross, but he's such a genuinely nice guy that it's hard to get mad at him. His LPs make for great background noise when he starts talking about how something in a game reminds him of a movie he saw.

*MasaeAnela: Even when she's not adorably squeeing over something cute or raging over something difficult, her voice is just really relaxing to listen to.

My non-problematic fav is raocow, who is way too small and niche to ever be properly recognized, but is the purest and most dedicated of them all. Came from the same early, SA based lets play scene as ProtonJon, but polar opposite of Jon in that he's consistently uploaded at least one video per day almost without exception for the decade-plus since he started.

Just now, Young P said:

My non-problematic fav is raocow, who is way too small and niche to ever be properly recognized, but is the purest and most dedicated of them all. Came from the same early, SA based lets play scene as ProtonJon, but polar opposite of Jon in that he's consistently uploaded at least one video per day almost without exception for the decade-plus since he started.

is raocow still making videos?! i used to watch his shit YEARS ago and i still have catplanet downloaded today bc i watched him play it and there was a remix song of his playing it to video game music

2 minutes ago, wildflower said:

is raocow still making videos?! i used to watch his shit YEARS ago and i still have catplanet downloaded today bc i watched him play it and there was a remix song of his playing it to video game music

Yeah he's very much still making videos, on a 3 per day schedule at the moment. Weird, obscure catplanet type stuff is more of a rarity now because he's subsidized by Patreon and gives his backers a lot of control over what he plays, but it's still largely Mario rom hacks and retro platformers.

I don't really watch game youtubers, but I can recommend hella speedrun streams. (all on Twitch)
Mr_Shasta is probably the most wholesome and easiest to get into even if you don't watch speedruns normally.
Same for WatashiMachine, and they don't speedrun that much anyway.
SwordsmanKirby, Beuchi and Headstrong are really soft-spoken and laid back.
Swellman and Pidge are crude but really fun.

Spoiler

speedrunrecommendations.thumb.png.0819279fdd3daf3a974371a0c72bb3f6.png

Edited by Pichi
16 hours ago, Tyranogre said:
Once again, I'd like to congratulate AVGN, whose biggest controversy was that he didn't want to go see a movie because he thought it looked bad.

Well, that and the time he cameod in a Doritos/Pepsi Max Super Bowl commercial that ended up getting banned for offending the Catholics. 

I'm not making this up. Some people were offended that the commercial poked fun at the Eucharist, enough so that it attracted mainstream media attention (including coverage on The O'Reilly Factor of all things). 

I've included the ad in spoilers.

So much of media today is irreverent towards basically anything, and in this internet age people get offended very easily.

For me, though, If I don’t like something I tend to just ignore it. I see little sense in picking up a pitchfork on the internet as I see little productive value in it. 

58 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

So much of media today is irreverent towards basically anything, and in this internet age people get offended very easily.

I think it's safe to assume people got offended prior to the internet. 

Those who are offended are just louder because of the internet. It's much easier to be heard. Thirty years ago, your best way of complaining was sending a letter to your local newspaper or speaking at a community meeting. It was fairly contained, but it was still there. 

With the internet, it isn't contained. You can reach so many people with a single tweet, a tweet that can be greatly amplified and signal boosted by your followers and in turn their followers. These in turn tend to get picked up online media, which in turn prompts counter-outrage. And because of this cycle, even nothing controversies or hoax campaigns can be picked up and treated as legitimate stories. This can also signal boost a person's embarrassing mistakes, as plenty of people tweet impulsively without actually thinking about what they are tweeting.

We live in an era where people we've never spoken to, never interacted with, or never even seen in person, can still leave an enormous emotional impact on ourlives. Just look at all the outpouring of support from fans that we see whenever a celebrity dies.

With YouTubers in particular, the line is much more difficult to discern between the person you see on the screen, and the person running the channel. It's a lot different from watching Iron Man and then seeing Robert Downey Jr. on TV; it's easier to tell that the actor and the character are two different people.

But when your only exposure to someone is through an artificial persona created to draw in clicks, it's much more difficult to separate the art from the artist. For all intents and purposes, James Rolfe is the Angry Video Game Nerd; Doug Walker is the Nostalgia Critic; Ben Croshaw is Yahtzee.

And when that artificial persona happens to be a friendly, laid-back guy with a sense of humor who likes the same stuff as you, your mind paints a portrait of this person that may be at odds with what they're actually like.

So then when that person gets called out for doing something controversial, like cheating on their wife or saying something racist, your knee-jerk reaction is to say "Hey, wait a minute! That's not an evil, child-molesting white supremacist; that's my best buddy, Internet Review Guy! He would never do something like that! Whoever's making these accusations is just lying! They're trying to hurt my friend!" And the more backlash against them you see, the harder you try to defend them. Because this isn't just some celebrity known for playing a character, this is your friend.

But the sad truth is, they're not your friend. They have no idea you exist. You are nothing to them but just another subscriber. And yet despite all this, you're willing to defend them, no matter how much evidence exists that they're not the person your mind thinks they are.

19 hours ago, ace said:

Ah yes, blame it on everyone getting offended and not the actual problems that need to be addressed. A true classic. 

While I admit I may not have worded my point the best just based on blcdude1’s response, here you’re clearly misrepresenting what I said and turning it into a red herring. That’s not what I said at all.

@blcdude1 Oh absolutely. My point was that people get offended easily and it’s heightened in the internet age, not that people never got offended before. Sorry for not quite wording it in a way that may have made sense to you. Obviously anger is a basic human emotion and expressing it against something you dislike is just human nature. 

Regardless, there is an old idiom or saying or whatever that describes letting things flow off you like water off a duck’s back, rather than absorbing it and letting it weigh you down. That’s what I am getting at, here. Obviously I am offended by things, but thinking I have control (or should have control) over other people is unproductive.

This is referring of course to media doing stupid and offensive things. I just don’t patronize it. Vote with my wallet rather than my mouth.

But of course, and this goes out to everyone, if someone is gonna get up in arms about locking immigrants in cages or police attacking innocent people of colour, I agree that is an issue worth doing something actively about. There are things worth fighting about and things not worth fighting about. Since blcdude1 was talking about a commercial on television specifically, that kind of situation is what my comment was aimed at. 

@Tyranogre It’s a good lesson for sure. I always knew it since I’ve been watching videos on YouTube, since I belong to an older demographic that didn’t grow up with internet media in the same way as many people you’re describing did. I learned not to naively trust people on the schoolyard with a few people rather than millions on YouTube. But it’s a real issue for younger people that need to learn these life lessons in a more globalized setting than older generations had to. Things are definitely much more heightened these days, if for no other reason than the magnitude of the situations as you two just described.

4 minutes ago, Chrom said:

I've practiced the Eucharist for a long time and I thought that Doritos commercial was funny.

Sure it was funny. Can’t say I like everything about it, but definitely they hit the correct humour notes to be considered funny. I dunno for me humour and the apparent messages behind them are always tricky. I often find myself laughing while simultaneously disagreeing with the implications. 

Although honestly I just don’t like the taste of Doritos anyway, so regardless I’m not eating them. :P