Fire Emblem Three Houses discussion thread

I'm about 10.5 hours in the game now, and my opinion hasn't changed much... In almost any given hour, Three Houses rarely feels like you're playing a game but instead a visual-novel/sim game. I don't have much time for playing games on the weekdays, so spending my free time sitting through dialogue and performing menial tasks doesn't always sound very interesting compared to jumping into battles. And this bums me out in some respect because for  the 3DS entries, it was really fun to play those games alongside everyone at the time of release. But with how long this is looking, I won't have time for the hype train this time.

Frustration from Chapter 8, specifically a paralogue available during that time.

Spoiler

So the paralogue given by Sothis where you battle the beasts in the Red Canyon... yeah, I used Marianne to open the chest to get the Knowledge Gem but then shortly after I used a Divine Pulse to turn back to the beginning of the turn so I could break a beast's armor for more smithing material (Mythril, to be exact) and forgot to open the chest again... So having saved after the battle and only having another save of my file that dates back to the middle of Chapter 7 while I am now at the end of Chapter 8, I have officially missed out on the item that makes leveling up skills soooooo much easier in a game that has outrageous numbers for higher skill levels without having to go back and complete both Chapter 7 and practically all of Chapter 8 again... Weeeee~

It'd be ideal to get it then and there, but it's worth knowing that isn't your only opportunity to get one of those, and the next one isn't that far away. I personally wouldn't go back for the first one at that point, because all it really does is slightly speed up the process and is far from necessary.

Finished the Black Eagles route.

Kind of disappointed at the length.

Even after killing Rhea, Edelgard explicitly says out loud that they still need to fight Those Who Slither in the Dark. That could've easily provided 3-4 more chapters worth of content to bring it up to par with the other three routes. But instead, that all happens off-screen.

Will start Golden Deer on the bus to work tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Finished the Black Eagles route.

Hide contents

Kind of disappointed at the length.

Even after killing Rhea, Edelgard explicitly says out loud that they still need to fight Those Who Slither in the Dark. That could've easily provided 3-4 more chapters worth of content to bring it up to par with the other three routes. But instead, that all happens off-screen.

Will start Golden Deer on the bus to work tomorrow.

Spoiler

Yeah I was surprised to see that entire plotline wasn't resolved at all in the Black Eagles route. They even repeatedly mention them and how Edelgard doesn't trust them but uses them as a means to an end, but then to not actually resolve that in-game was weird. Maybe they just wanted to make it more unique compared to the other paths (I haven't finished any others yet) but still, would've been nice to at least have a few more chapters.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, Tyranogre said:

Who should be my Dancer on the Golden Deer route?

I could just classnap Dorothea and do her again, but where's the fun in that?

I'm struggling to decidey Golden Deer's dancer too. I prefer us to use one of the students from the route I'm playing but can't decide for GD. Leaning towards Marianne but I fear it will hurt her healing too much. A lot of people also say she's great as a Holy Knight and she probably the only character Is ever use as one. I'm not a huge fan of that class otherwise. 

Debating on Raphael too. I know he's probably best as a grappler/war master but kind of want to make him a Fortress Knight. 

Edited by Igneous42

So from what I can tell, the ideal order to play through the routes seems to be:

BL/GD (one or the other) > GD/BL (whichever you didn't do first) > BE > copy your save data before Chapter 11 > Church.

Church route has too many plot twists that spoil BL and GD, and BE doesn't introduce anything new to the story, so is only worth playing through if you want some different mission objectives or if you really want to bang Edelgard.

I made the mistake of doing BE first, so I'm currently about halfway through the pre-timeskip GD route as my second playthrough.

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

So from what I can tell, the ideal order to play through the routes seems to be:

BL/GD (one or the other) > GD/BL (whichever you didn't do first) > BE > copy your save data before Chapter 11 > Church.

Church route has too many plot twists that spoil BL and GD, and BE doesn't introduce anything new to the story, so is only worth playing through if you want some different mission objectives or if you really want to bang Edelgard.

I made the mistake of doing BE first, so I'm currently about halfway through the pre-timeskip GD route as my second playthrough.

My playthrough with GD and once I got to the last 3 chapters, I knew I need t play that house last.

Playing BL right now.

I think I did the worst order. BE/Edelgard, Blue Lions and now working on Golden Deer.  Some spoilers for BE/BL below. 

Do we still need to spoiler tag the existence of the church route? Doesn't seem like it's much of a secret anymore but I also don't want to make anyone angry. I'm doing that last but I've read that it's really similar to Golden Deers. So we'll see how that goes doing them back to back. 

Black Eagles missing the second battle at Gronder Field was real weird too. Seems an important event and seeing unhinged, vengeful Dimitri would have made the need to fight him more obvious and even noble in Edelgard's path. As it is he actually seems more sane in her path than parts of his own.

Blue Lions also ends up doing shit all about those who slither in the dark. In fact, they probably deal with it less than BE. At least BE says they dealt with it in the Epilogue.

Excited to see more Golden Deer for more world building, but I also kind of think it's my least favorite house for students. I am warming up to them as a play their house, but Claude, Hilda and Marianne are the only ones who are really standing out to me so far. 

Edited by Igneous42
On 8/28/2019 at 9:40 AM, Tyranogre said:

I went BL, then BE, then GD, then church. 

Based off the teams and not story. Seriously, BL has my favorite characters. Mercedes forever!