Fire Emblem Three Houses discussion thread

Pretty much, both are reason but black is what anima should be, so like elemental magic and dark is things like hexes, mire and all that stuff. 

Also I figured out the B support thing for anyone else curious. They have a chance to ask to join during the week once they're B rank. Guess other than save scumming there isn't much you can do to prompt or control it. We'll see how what my patience for that is I guess since I don't really plan on using them anyways. 

Well, choosing Black Eagles this time around totally backfired on me during the time-skip! Narratively speaking. 

Because maybe I recruited everyone of the people sans the leaders and their retainers, and maybe didn't speak too much with Edelgard... I ended up going on a different unforeseen route: where I follow as Rhea's follower and the true leader. I have to face off against Edelgard again, luckily with all of my team with me. I didn't know it was going to happen, and I really wanted to make Rhea angry at me. So, I'll have to look this up, because it also says I could've had the Death Knight with me. 

Edit: Turns out I had to do one simple thing. Which the game never told me. 

Edited by XLW

Pretty serious spoilers about BE/midgame below (so other path spoilers for the school phase too). 

Yeah the fact that the church route is the "default" route seems really silly to me. I get that Edelgard is the instigator for all this but if you choose her route you should stick with her. Especially since requiring a high support nwith Rhea is harder and takes extra work so that seems like the one that should have been the "secret" path.  

It's one of my few gripes with game so far even though I knew about it ahead of time so was able to stick with Edelgard. It's an interesting "twist" from a story perspective but as a game mechanic it was dumb. You're not the first person I've seen who missed that. The cover art character shouldn't be something that can accidentally be missed.

Also not gonna lie Edelgard's path having branching options and her being such a driving force of the story does make me feel like they were playing favorites with her. Maybe the other two routes will surprise me but it would have been interesting of all the Routes had branching options. 

I haven't played the GD route, so I don't know what to expect.  

As for the BL route... from a narrative standpoint, I found it more compelling than the BE route so far. Dimitri and his relationship with his team, professor, and the enemies are the highlight of his route. If you thought that Edelgard was sunshine and rainbows... oh, boy, get ready for his route. It's a true rollercoaster of emotions.   

I'm still pretty upset about that ONE THING in the BE route, because I had to waste more time trying to get back to what I needed. Haven't beaten the BE route, so who knows if my opinion on it will change. Thank gosh it doesn't exit with the BL route.  

Also, I was able to get most of the students before the PONR for the BE route, but that was because of my experience and expertise of playing another route.

Thank the goddess/world for NG+!

Edited by XLW
Just now, Tyranogre said:

If all it takes to recruit people from other houses is to increase Byleth's stats enough, does there ever come a time where I'm free to grind without the calendar breathing down my neck?

If your playing normal you can grind auxiliary battles to raise support. Typically recruiting through support is easier than the skills. They require pretty high skills to join if your recruiting them that way (I believe B for most students). 

If your on hard than the answer is pretty much no. If you have units you want the best way is to Brite force with gifts, planting flowers can help with that.  But as others have said your house plus other teachers/faculty is enough aside from just trying to snag your favorites.

4 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

If all it takes to recruit people from other houses is to increase Byleth's stats enough, does there ever come a time where I'm free to grind without the calendar breathing down my neck?

Yes... Though, it’s much more manageable on a second play through. All the auxiliary battles and spending renown points THERE  make the game less tedious.  

Also, I’m finding out that recruiting everyone might not be the best solution, as I have done that now. If there’s a critique of this game, it’s hands down one of the grindiest. I say choose your favorite five-ten (?) others, and work off them. That way, you don’t have to waste instruction time and the... group tasks. In the last few games, the free roaming aspect meant that you had all the time, but the calendar makes things trickier. Thankfully, it’s not like Fates where less than half the roster sucked.  

Also, the battles replenish, so... you’re never restricted to grinding. Ever. There’s ALWAYS battles. Just don’t do the red and ! stuff till you want to move on with the day.

Edited by XLW
9 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

From what I’ve read it has something to do with a unit’s “Cha” stat.

Yes. I know y;

I can't increase my character's charisma stat and they supposedly met the requirement. Except, no matter how much I save scum, I can't win the dance competition and I don't have a save where I can feasibly raise their charisma. So the other houses keep winning.

So like, if Sylvain wins the dance competition and I'm an a golden deers playthrough, can I recruit Sylvain from Blue Lions to access the dancer class?

Edited by Ares

September spoilers.

I just got to the part where Flayn goes missing, and followed the trail of clues until I came to a point where the game warned me that the month would end and the story would continue if I were to proceed. Since it was only the first week of the month, I opted to do some faculty training and then hit “finish exploring”. 

Is there any difference between progressing the story through that event that I ignored, or just continuing to spend my days fucking around until the game forces me into story progression on the 30th?

I went ahead and created a Google doc so that we can have all the recruitment requirements, advice box answers, and other miscellaneous stuff together in one place instead of having to search across different websites. It's a work in progress, but so far I've finished the recruitments and the pre-timeskip advice box answers. If this gets a good enough response, I'll edit it into the OP.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o711UX3liI9t92YrSD8Z0T-ZGWmgPTr41yGZnsmdxRw/edit?usp=sharing

TO-DO LIST:

*lost items

*class upgrade requirements

*post-timeskip advice box

*gifts

*correct tea party conversations

*post-lecture questions

Anything else I should add?

Way back when the game was announced I knew I wanted to do a playthrough of it on Youtube. I also know that is going to take forever with how long this game will be. So if anyone is interested in watching my path through the game, I will post the playlist for it.

Spoiler

As for where I am currently: Right after finding the Assassination of Rhea plan