Switch Joy-Con drift class action lawsuit | *NOA offering FREE repairs/refunds on repairs*

15 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Good. It'll only grow from here.

Definitely. They need to improve the build and design of them. I use electrical tape to stabilize my joycons. Luckily no drifting since Nintendo repaired mine. Didn't have that issue, but the parts were defective, so they need to improve the quality of them.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • 2 weeks later...

This is getting bad. I feel with rise innovation comes a rise of how the expense of the controller will be.  Because of this corners have to be cut and it seems like all 3 video game manufacturers decided that the analog stick is the place to do. Of course there's no proof but with the rise of controller drift, it can't be helped that is were one thoughts go.

I'm not exactly saying to put as much effort in the sticks or downplay innovation in the controller but there has to be some sort of balance and Nintendo use to be good with that. This gen with the Joy-Cons just seem evident they may have lost sight because they may have aim to high their ambition for the Joy-Cons this time around and now other competitors who don't want to be left behind with their controllers are maybe doing the same thing as Nintendo now.

A very sad state of affairs for the controller of now and going forward.

Exactly. And as usual, people who aren't able to replace said controllers as often will be affected the most by it. That said, cutting corners isn't a good thing or a good sign of things to come. It's planned obsolescence, getting that much worse. 

Edited by Doc Brown

If nothing else, this’ll give another rise to 3rd party controllers, which I already hear are better for Switch than the Nintendo brand. Apparently 3rd party joycons don’t drift like that due to using different sticks. y;

I already use a 3rd party SD card anyway due to Nintendo’s brand being too expensive in comparison, so may as well invest in 3rd party controllers again next whenever I might have the drifting to deal with.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, Ridley Prime said:

If nothing else, this’ll give another rise to 3rd party controllers, which I already hear are better for Switch than the Nintendo brand. Apparently 3rd party joycons don’t drift like that due to using different sticks. y;

I already use a 3rd party SD card anyway due to Nintendo’s brand being too expensive in comparison, so may as well invest in 3rd party controllers again next whenever I might have the drifting to deal with.

What 3rd party brand do you use, joycon wise?

I just use regular Sandisk sd cards, and I make sure they're the same as the Nintendo ones, only $20 or so dollars cheaper. 

53 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What 3rd party brand do you use, joycon wise?

I just use regular Sandisk sd cards, and I make sure they're the same as the Nintendo ones, only $20 or so dollars cheaper. 

I got a Nintendo branded SD card from my Switch from SanDisk off of Amazon and it was the same price as the non-Nintendo branded one they were selling (same size/speed). Infect, all the Nintendo branded ones were. I've seen these same Nintendo branded SD cards in stores and they're over twice as much! o_O

Edited by alienboyva

I am curious as well what kind of 3rd party joy-cons you use too. When it comes the the late 90's and mid 2000's 3rd party controller were less than ideal. So I am somewhat surrpised what 3rd party could honestly do better when the sole proprietor can even make better analog stick, no offence.

That and also those kind of controllers don't have the bells and whistle I come to want in controller like HD rumble, gyro, wireless and amiibo support. It is very rare any 3rd party have all of that and understandable so to cut cost. I think it is obvious where they can cut they use some of that (not all to do this) make the controller or to the analog stick. So that makes sense to me.

To me I need all those features, I use them bit more than I like to admit, luckily for me I have not experienced joy-con drift but I feel sorry for those who have, that is real.

Also to the micro SD card of course anyone would buy 3rd party, Nintendo have not up to this point made SD cards so why would I buy from them now, not matter how they cost and make sure the work or have the proper size as advertise as well. I do my research to make sure I get quality micro SD cards, that is no joke.

Edited by DLurkster
48 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

I got a Nintendo branded SD card from my Switch from SanDisk off of Amazon and it was the same price as the non-Nintendo branded one they were selling (same size/speed). Infect, all the Nintendo branded ones were. I've seen these same Nintendo branded SD cards in stores and they're over twice as much! o_O

Yep. It comes down to branding and copyright. Since Sandisk has permission to use Nintendo mascots on their sd cards, they charge more for them.

@DLurkster I have a 3rd party GameCube controller, a MadCatz one, that still works. Had to go with that due to Nintendo and that controller lawsuit back then.

Edited by Doc Brown
17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yep. It comes down to branding and copyright. Since Sandisk has permission to use Nintendo mascots on their sd cards, they charge more for them.

@DLurkster I have a 3rd party GameCube controller, a MadCatz one, that still works. Had to go with that due to Nintendo and that controller lawsuit back then.

I have Intec GC controller, it is not mine. I don't I have personal bought 3rd party controllers, I just knew the reputation of them back in day from friends. That is where this GC controller came from. I don't  think he gave it to me because it is trash but he simply forgot. This was during the late Wii going onto Wii U era. Had it since then. I don't play with it often, as I said functions fine, don't like the look or feel. This is one of the cases where it how it looks is as bad as it feel. If so it feels more bad than it looks.

It's a see through purple controller with grey rubberize grips by the handle, if they didn't put those there, it would be a alright controller but that and how that looks and implemented, is a no-no for me. 

Edited by DLurkster
2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah, licenses aren't cheap. Though, SanDisk's Nintendo branded ones on Amazon were the same price as their own non-branded ones when I bought mine (IDK the price has changed). IDK why in branded ones are still so much in stores, but doing a quick search online, they look to be the same price as their own non-branded ones from places like Walmart, Target, and BestBuy.

Oh, I haven't used any 3rd party controllers for my Switch yet; was just saying I would whenever I'd start having to deal with the drifting. Someone I talked to about it said they got a 3rd party Switch Pro controller that lacked only the NFC functionality (which I never used anyway) and was cheaper than a single Nintendo joycon, which has still lasted them.

From what I looked up on 3rd party joycons though, Hori Split Pad Pro appears to be a decent option, though still deciding between some of the options, which I was gonna take user reviews into account on too. I've considered a Wavebird controller as an alternative as well but it's more expensive.

I definitely know 3rd party controllers got a bad rap back in the day, with brands like MadCatz (believe they filed for bankruptcy some years ago). I dealt with an N64 controller of theirs once but never again. Surprised to see someone here has a Gamecube controller from them that has still lasted though.

1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

Yeah, licenses aren't cheap. Though, SanDisk's Nintendo branded ones on Amazon were the same price as their own non-branded ones when I bought mine (IDK the price has changed). IDK why in branded ones are still so much in stores, but doing a quick search online, they look to be the same price as their own non-branded ones from places like Walmart, Target, and BestBuy.

Was it around Black Friday? Might explain the better pricing of them then.

Yea it's insane and they can be overpriced during the year, online, too.