Switch Joy-Con drift class action lawsuit | *NOA offering FREE repairs/refunds on repairs*

I've owned Nintendo systems for eternity.... my OG N64 controllers never had a drift issue with their analog stick, my OG GNC ones same thing, and even my Wiichucks from the Wii era or my WiiU tablet controller never had this issue....but my original grays did develop this after about 2.5 years but it s not apparent in a lot of games till you need it to be... and actually, my ProCCs for the Switch have had some oddities with it (Pros have also had weird Dpad issues too).

13 hours ago, Kezay said:

Bruh...this one isn't going ANYWHERE.  What in the actual world?

Likely one of those, get the media involved, and try to get a quick out-of-court settlement.

Should I send my Joy-Con in for repairs? The right con stick always wants to go down, mostly just when coming out of Sleep Mode. If I restart it seems to be good.

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Likely one of those, get the media involved, and try to get a quick out-of-court settlement.

Should I send my Joy-Con in for repairs? The right con stick always wants to go down, mostly just when coming out of Sleep Mode. If I restart it seems to be good.

Hmm, Nintendo support for joy-cons not responding correctly just suggest updating the joy-cons, as a fix all. The rest is just saying before you attempt any of the methods to resolve that your joy-con have to back to their normal button configurations.(because you can remap the buttons and sticks now) That and to make sure the console is updated to the latest system update and or the game you want to play is updated to the latest version.

Also before restarting console have you try the stick calibrations in the settings?

If you tried all the above then yeah, send that joy-con to Nintendo to repair. Obviously the pandemic are still delaying the delivery back of repaired joy-cons. Can only send 4 at a time and if for some reason they cannot repair joy-con, Nintendo will replace with grey or neon red/blue joy con. So if your sending in Joy-cons not of those colors and it cannot be repair, just know you won't get the same color back as well.

24 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I ain't do shit. I just complain to myself about it and either use my Pro, or restart the console and it's fine

Ha, ha.

Well said, difficult or not. I am lucky I have not experience joy-con drift but I would do what you are doing and just use my pro controller too.

I've heard that too but you know what's so funny about all these malfunctions is that like the RROD that affected 1% percent of owners of the xbox 360 back in the day. When they had to pay out the ppl it was a lot of money.

I can't say with the break down of joy-con and pro controller what defect rate is with the ratio of Switch out there (at least to their bottom dollar to not scare any new consumers they don't want scare that their controllers are garbage, I get but anti-consumer is still anti-consumer. No matter how much they test or small the defect, admit and address forthright. Glad they attempt free repairs, tho) but it's crazy to think pro controllers have this issue when the use pretty much the same analog sticks like the rest of the competitors. Like I get why joy-cons have drifts because how small the sticks are so either right away or with time and a little wear they will drift because there's no real space for the sticks to move.

Nintendo made a gamble with these controls being this small. They were the one to revolutionize analog stick so it puzzles me to why they thought the sticks will be fine with whatever testing they did to ensure there won't be any drifting. Drifting is very uncommon in controller, it can but chance increases the smaller the space to move the stick.

@Ridley Prime: Interesting thread.

The takeaways is Nintendo is stupid and cannot see when impeding evidence in front them like it took them a minute to realize King K. Rool is popular. Unless I am reading this wrong but if the class action lawsuit were about Switch lite the plaintiff would fare better because Nintendo didn't resolve initial drift issue from the OG Switch? And last I knew I was right about sticks being to short that cause the drift but I never imagined (but should of knew better) that debris over time is what cause the deadzone in these controllers.

That's basically...oh wait this is just as important but because of this arbitration the folk in this class lawsuit are basically screwed because of the EULA. Interesting, that is not to say Nintendo thought of everything to cover their butts in case of a possible drift in their controllers. Now I understand why the lawyer are asking for these videos in the lawsuit, this is their last ditch effort not losing the uphill battle they are in.

• 2 weeks later...

Lowering the price of a single Joy-Con worldwide is a start (I assume NOA is still doing free repairs...?), though I never see single Joy-Con controllers stores. :( 

BTW, are neon blue (L) /red (R) now the only colors we can choose from in single form? ....No grey or even neon red (L) / blue (R)? If they aren't going to have these in stores, NOA should least sell them on your online store. Hell, Japan even lets you choose any color (L/R) and strap color when buying a Switch from their online store.

Edited by alienboyva
38 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Lowering the price of a single Joy-Con worldwide is a start (I assume NOA is still doing free repairs...?), though I never see single Joy-Con controllers stores. :( 

BTW, are neon blue (L) /red (R) now the only colors we can choose from in single form? ....No grey or even neon red (L) / blue (R)? If they aren't going to have these in stores, NOA should least sell them on your online store. Hell, Japan even lets you choose any color (L/R) and strap color when buying a Switch from their online store.

I think you're right about not seeing single Joy-con in stores, you normally have to buy those online to get that. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find single joy-con in stores.

As for this drop in price is nice but I feel is a cover for the drift in joy-cons that Nintendo have not admit or address properly. Yes they have taken a step with free repairs and now this $10 drop for a single. These are all steps in the right direction but not exactly address in the issue of joy-con drift directly.

I starting think, that Nintendo have secretly tried to fix it but won't say it because it will look bad and do all these other measures to minimize impact of joy-con drift. I can't say what I am saying is true but who honestly does not see anyone not trying to rectify this and if can't, I think anyone would try to cover that fact but with other means minimize this impact.

Just a hot take. What I think Nintendo knew is that the small stick may become a problem but not to the extent, if they did I don't think they would or would not be trying now to resolve it if it could be done sooner rather than later. 

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope all these lawsuits prompts Nintendo to actually fix this issue and give everyone effected free replacements of the new fixed Joy-Con. Though, that will likely only happen in a perfect world. Hopefully we don't have to wait for a Switch successor or have Nintendo completely redesign the Joy-Con to get a fix, but that seems unlikely. :( 

Edited by alienboyva