Switch Joy-Con drift class action lawsuit | *NOA offering FREE repairs/refunds on repairs*

At this point, the free repairs is the best possible course of action. But a Joy-Con revision is still needed. But compared to what happened to Microsoft and the X360's RRoD incident, where they could and have shrunk components and added additional cooling elements IIRC within the original model to help mitigate the RRoD, a fix might be tougher to find for the Joy-Cons comparatively.

1 hour ago, avalonknight said:

At this point, the free repairs is the best possible course of action. But a Joy-Con revision is still needed. But compared to what happened to Microsoft and the X360's RRoD incident, where they could and have shrunk components and added additional cooling elements IIRC within the original model to help mitigate the RRoD, a fix might be tougher to find for the Joy-Cons comparatively.

Yes, this is true and most likely expensive for Nintendo and the cost to replace or revised. OG Switch stuff.

We can only hope with the lite and revision Switch that the Joy-Cons issue have been modified but the reason revisions happens is to save money on parts that are obsolete so it makes sense financially to make revision on more available and cheaper part. So there's no guarantee with these revisions that Joy-Con analog is a better for such small form factor cost more than its worth to correct but time will tell.

NOE isn't doing free repairs...

I see it like this...

1. NOA is only doing the because of the lawsuit, which they know they can't win.

2. Other branches of Nintendo (NCL, NOE, etc) are waiting for a worldwide announcement from NCL before going ahead with free repairs.

1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

NOE isn't doing free repairs...

I see it like this...

1. NOA is only doing the because of the lawsuit, which they know they can't win.

2. Other branches of Nintendo (NCL, NOE, etc) are waiting for a worldwide announcement from NCL before going ahead with free repairs.

Makes sense. It must already cost a pretty penny to do this kind of treatment in NA, before doing this done in all regions.

• alienboyva changed the title to Switch Joy-Con drift class action lawsuit | *NOA offering FREE repairs/refunds on repairs*
18 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I don't know if mine drift. Not playing my Switch much lately anyways, should I just send in em for a tune up and check?

If you had to pay to send them in for such a tune up, I would say no obviously but since any inquiry about joy cons is free. I cannot see why it would be issue to send then in for a tune up.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the drift thing still free or whatever from Nintendo?

Due to a recharging my Pros a few days ago I used my JCs  via my grip and I was good till yesterday and then all kind of crazy stuff was going on with the sticks and the buttons getting into cycling through menus.  Normally, I use my JCs attached to the Switch itself in portable mode and I have never had that happen till last night.  My two Pros do sometimes act weird but I haven't had a serious issue in forever.

6 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Is the drift thing still free or whatever from Nintendo?

Due to a recharging my Pros a few days ago I used my JCs  via my grip and I was good till yesterday and then all kind of crazy stuff was going on with the sticks and the buttons getting into cycling through menus.  Normally, I use my JCs attached to the Switch itself in portable mode and I have never had that happen till last night.  My two Pros do sometimes act weird but I haven't had a serious issue in forever.

It was when I checked about two or three months ago. However, now the only relevant info on Nintendo's website is that their repair service has shut down due to the pandemic. In the meantime, here's a temporary solution I've used:

Put rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip, and slide it around under the "skirt" of the analog stick (start at the base and push up--there's a thin plastic meant to keep dust out). Once it's saturated, rotate the stick several times so the liquid gets around inside. This kept my controllers from drifting for a few weeks, but now I really need to do it again.

• 1 month later...

I AM ONLY POSTING THIS HERE BECAUSE OF THE THREAD TITLE KIND OF TYING IN ALL INFORMATION FOR THOSE WITH DRIFTING but I wanted to ask anyone if they have had this issue with drift/controller errors:

So, I keep having intermittent dpad issues with left JoyCon and with either of my original or Smash ProCC, where randomly the controller thinks I am working the dpad for performing functions.  LJC has had the noticeably more issues.  OPCC next most, and Smash ProCC last.

I played around with some calibration testing for LJCC and here is what was weird, I was getting different results whether I was holding my Switch horizontal or vertical in the calibration testing.  But this just really reflects the joystick and not the dpad.  Anyway, I could somewhat calibrate the LJC but once I centered it it would float up once it settled.  But again, this still doesn't get into the weirdness with the dpad unless some how based on a game's coding the L analog stick and the dpad operate the same functions.

I wonder if somehow there is a bluetooth sensor to the main unit issue or could it just be some kind of buildup in the controller itself making for poor contact.  I got in my screwdriver set and opened up my LJC but didn't go much further than that till I get my new JCs in my hands (that way if I f* up with the JC I still got something).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had that kind of issue wit theirs.

Legit puzzled now:

Took my brother's unused Splatoon JCs and charged them up, no issues (and actually, his left one fit like a glove in my left rail and was locked in).  No glitchy dpad stuff, nothing. 

Charged up his Smash and Splatoon Pros.... linked up, no issues.

Then, went back to my two pros and no issues.

WDF :S

Well, my new set arrived for my own use today so I took apart my gray one via a good video I found, I could find nothing wrong with any pinched internal cables , nothing askew where the dpad connects to its sensors, no lint or debris in or around the analog stick.  I feel good enough about my work to maybe do that joystick swap out to see if that cures it because when I put everything back together I could get the analog stick to work fine but within like 5-15s it drifted north again.

• 4 months later...

As much as I love you Nintendo... FUCK YOU! >:(  You've fucked up and need to deal with consequences. Stop trying to save your ass, because your not going to weasel your way out of this one. ...But seriously, Nintendo... You're all about the consumer and this is very anti-consumer of you. -___-

Hopefully, the court sees that a lot of people have indeed had this problem and can see how inconvenient it is t play a game with your stick constantly drifting.

Edited by alienboyva

Word. Trying to pull bullshit like the above (that Joy Con drift isn't a real problem) will only drive people away.

Sounds as if they're trying to blame customers for an issue that is their (Nintendo's) fault.

Edited by Doc Brown