New Switch(chip change for battery) + new JC colors

In my case for the improve Switch everything has been smooth from the system to the joy cons. had to stop by Five Below store to buy some covers for the joy cons which I like as they have better friction so my finger doesn't slide off. I forgot to remove my old ones when I traded in my old Switch. Battery has been superb as advertised. I played a lot of Dragon Quest Builders 2 yesterday for a good 5 hours till I needed to charge it. Before it was like 2.5 hrs.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Is it worth trading an older model into Nintendo for a new one, while still covered by the warranty? Also, have any issues popped up with it?

Up in Canada the trade in for me at EBGames (Gamestop) is $270. I believe in the US it is $200. Makes sense when the the Switch is $299 down there and for us is $399.

I paid personally $146 difference with my trade. At least personally it was worth get get new set of joy-cons and extended battery life.

As for warranty, unless you have issues with your joy-cons (under warranty or not), Nintendo will replace the joy-cons and not if you bought the system after July 16th. The post I posted last week is in fact wrong. Only send your Switch back if you have issues with the joy-con not with the system or get V2 one.

Here's the article on GoNintendo: https://gonintendo.com/stories/342329-rumor-nintendo-of-america-will-exchange-a-switch-for-the-revised  (I can't find where this was confirmed not a rumor but as I said this is no longer true)

Also, as far as I know these gaming stores don't care where you bought it from is under warranty (I bought my Switch originally from Best Buy), they will trade as long as you have most of the things a Switch needs to trade and the Switch is in relative good condition.

2 hours ago, Juanblue85 said:

In my case for the improve Switch everything has been smooth from the system to the joy cons. had to stop by Five Below store to buy some covers for the joy cons which I like as they have better friction so my finger doesn't slide off. I forgot to remove my old ones when I traded in my old Switch. Battery has been superb as advertised. I played a lot of Dragon Quest Builders 2 yesterday for a good 5 hours till I needed to charge it. Before it was like 2.5 hrs.

How did you even get the trade to without out that?!? Did they barely check to see if you had all the part the Switch came with?!?

@Doc Brown : Pretty much Jaunblue85 said about the joy-cons and battery is accurate for me as well.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Up in Canada the trade in for me at EBGames (Gamestop) is $270. I believe in the US it is $200. Makes sense when the the Switch is $299 down there and for us is $399.

I paid personally $146 difference with my trade. At least personally it was worth get get new set of joy-cons and extended battery life.

As for warranty, unless you have issues with your joy-cons (under warranty or not), Nintendo will replace the joy-cons and not if you bought the system after July 16th. The post I posted last week is in fact wrong. Only send your Switch back if you have issues with the joy-con not with the system or get V2 one.

Here's the article on GoNintendo: https://gonintendo.com/stories/342329-rumor-nintendo-of-america-will-exchange-a-switch-for-the-revised  (I can't find where this was confirmed not a rumor but as I said this is no longer true)

Also, as far as I know these gaming stores don't care where you bought it from is under warranty (I bought my Switch originally from Best Buy), they will trade as long as you have most of the things a Switch needs to trade and the Switch is in relative good condition.

How did you even get the trade to without out that?!? Did they barely check to see if you had all the part the Switch came with?!?

@Doc Brown : Pretty much Jaunblue85 said about the joy-cons and battery is accurate for me as well.

It was mostly covers for the joysticks and they were five bucks with covers for the joy cons as well. The clerks didn't even notice at all they were mostly concentrating to remove my old Zelda skin from the Switch and the screen protector (forgot to mention I also bought a screen protector from Five Below as well). By the time I had noticed the covers were still on the joysticks she had already put the old Switch on another box to sell it to another customer which surprised me as I thought they would send it to HQ to make sure everything is great with it and further clean it before its handed over to another customer.

27 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

It was mostly covers for the joysticks and they were five bucks with covers for the joy cons as well. The clerks didn't even notice at all they were mostly concentrating to remove my old Zelda skin from the Switch and the screen protector (forgot to mention I also bought a screen protector from Five Below as well). By the time I had noticed the covers were still on the joysticks she had already put the old Switch on another box to sell it to another customer which surprised me as I thought they would send it to HQ to make sure everything is great with it and further clean it before its handed over to another customer.

I had screen protector for my Switch too. I could of left that on but I remember to take mine off.

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

@DLurkster  I see thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with the older model and just try to get the joycons replaced. Saw that someone ran into an issue with network chip in the new model.

You're welcome.

Network chip issue? You mean the bluetooth signal, hmm? Interesting enough that was the partial cause of the joy-con dsyncing with console because the antennae was put in place in the joy-con that act like insulator blocking the signal to the console. Since then (around the same time the joy-con drift started shortly after launch) they correct that antennae by adjusting where it is in the joy-con. If they made any sort of change in the new model Switch to fix drifting, I don't the reason nor benefit or why that would be issue when that was such easy fix compared to the drifting issue. This issue with drifting is the distance the stick has to travel in the small case of the controller. It is really hard to prevent from happening to joy-cons eventually. Some may never get like I did for some reason.

^But maybe that is what you mean by 'network chip issue'. Honestly shouldn't be problem to replace another fix with another that is near almost impossible to fix alright, this can't be or be thing. I'd like to see where these report are coming from with these new models if this it or something else that is not being described right here.

Not quite that. It was a burnt network card. Sounds worse than what happened with the old Switch model. That happened with another persons system, but you bring up a good point about the interference. A good reason to try to exchange them for the new model, meaning the joycons.

Edited by Doc Brown
48 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not quite that. It was a burnt network card. Sounds worse than what happened with the old Switch model. That happened with another persons system, but you bring up a good point about the interference. A good reason to try to exchange them for the new model, meaning the joycons.

Ah, the console itself. That makes more sense, when you weer talking about the joy-con and then went to 'network chip issue', I thought meant something with Joy-cons.

Hmm network chip issue, huh? Hmm, I wonder if that was a really really small exception not say hearing this is impossible at all but I guess is likely when that though the board for the Switch is the same, what would only change is layout memory and size of the CPU really. Also, at least as far back with the DS, Nintendo engineers have been really careful where they put the adapters for the wireless network. It's the same like the joy-coms and the bluetooth why change or mess what is working. Just because some other things moved around why jeopardize something like the network adapter.

This is very interesting if this is not N isolated incident. I must look into this just for my curiosity really. It help me and anyone else to inform what is the cause. Indeed curious.

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yep. But it was enough to make me leery of exchanging my old one for it.

I wonder if this how the drifting and desyncing joy-cons started. Very minor till it was vocal minority.

I do not see anything on Switch, the V2 at all. Probably wasted hour and should of stop after 10 minutes social media and the net in general about this and got nada.

Again, I don't doubt this is a thing but there's nothing and must be very, very isolated even as I thought. Well,  I guess it is better to be cautious with something new and everyone can be the trendsetter guinea pigs.

It's on Reddit. To make a long story short, it's not good that it's happening. The old Switch gets rather warm after gameplay and the vents aren't the best. So I can see how overheating might occur. Maybe the new chip was defective and overheated.

Here's the title of the thread : New Nintendo Switch models having problems with burnt network card

Edited by Doc Brown
59 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's on Reddit. To make a long story short, it's not good that it's happening. The old Switch gets rather warm after gameplay and the vents aren't the best. So I can see how overheating might occur. Maybe the new chip was defective and overheated.

Here's the title of the thread : New Nintendo Switch models having problems with burnt network card

TBH, Reddit was the last place I looked and I was on there for like five minutes I didn't just kept scrolling who knows it will take to find anything like that.

I'll take a look again. Overheating can cause I all sort of issue and depending where the heat generates the most the network card is random chance, not overheating and where it occurred. Yes the system gets warm, that's a fact. Will get hotter over time, overheat that's a possibility regardless where even if it with network. The deeper go down this trail though chances are slim and present as well.

EDIT: Read the whole thread. So this guy made two thread. (I guess not to get attention the wrong but to make ppl aware that this is a thing)

Basically, at his GS, 3 ppl returned new Switches. This is know by Nintendo (not sure if that was after he exchange his or heard before the exchange) and this is happening to Grey units. I can somewhat relate to this; I bought match blue neon joy-cons from Amazon. I was playing Fire Emblem Warriors and my left Joy-con stick was drifting. Like this dude, I exchange but unlike him (and maybe cause I was not store to ask) I did not request that to make sure I get ones that don't drift. I worried but when I got the exchange one back they were.

I get making ppl know but for all the facts there's no double checking, what is actually known with Nintendo and why the grey ones is affected. if this just with the new unit color even if it's batch of grey. The color may have that risk, I know he says he's trying to tarnish but is causing unwariness with no back up of the fact network card issue.

Well it is what is and ppl can make their own decision with that.

EDIT 2: I traded for the grey set. I don't remember if I said the before.

Edited by DLurkster

What the h e double fuck are you guys going on about? Trendsetter guinea pigs? Y’all realize the v2 is the same exact system with a newer Tegra chip right? The only reason exists is because the one in the original switch was ancient. This one runs COOLER since it’s more efficient. 

Theres no appreciable difference between it and the OG save for battery life. It isn’t going to eat your credit cards or melt down any differently than the original switch. 

Edited by ace
9 minutes ago, ace said:

What the h e double fuck are you guys going on about? Trendsetter guinea pigs? Y’all realize the v2 is the same exact system with a newer Tegra chip right? The only reason exists is because the one in the original switch was ancient. 

Theres no appreciable difference between it and the OG save for battery life. It isn’t going to eat your credit cards or melt down any differently than the original switch. 

This started off about the better battery life and I think most know what you know that there's no difference with the chipset. This is just another joy-con pt2 albeit coming in the form of this network card. It appears for now that this sort of is unconfirmed if this just isolated to the new grey con set.

Thanks for that PB.

If Doc watch from 9:17 to 10:17, it shows where the heat is going and coming from. They obviously don't mention network card such but I though I mention the minute difference in temperatures. Which makes sense if you watch just prior to that timestamp or the start the wattage is half what OG Switch produce meaning less battery draw on the same size battery, meaning less heat. Heat is heat at the end of the day and of the one grey Switch did burnout network it very rare with temp show in that video, even if the difference is negligible.