Turbografx 16 Mini up for Pre-order on Amazon now (Delayed Indefinintely due to COVID)

10 minutes ago, Irondog666 said:

If you pre-ordered it, the Turbografx-16 has been delayed indefinitely.  I was pretty bummed out about this to be honest.  They must be coming from China or something.

It figures....

I thought I had read somewhere that based on when you made a PO you could get one earlier than later POs but I guess the production cycle and world wide roll out has been affected by Coronavirus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 1:19 AM, Laclipsey said:

Dunno about any of you, but I just got word that my Turbografx Mini will ship in January next year. Needless to say, that's a ways off yet, but I can wait. Anyone else get any updates?

I guess you did Amazon US?

I'm in the same boat but its BS to wait 9 months when Japanese units are shipping worldwide.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 12:08 AM, purple_beard said:

I guess you did Amazon US?

I'm in the same boat but its BS to wait 9 months when Japanese units are shipping worldwide.

Sure did. Now it's saying it'll be delivered on May 26. Dunno about you. I'm just going to expect another delay and be surprised when it gets here early. :D

5 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Sure did. Now it's saying it'll be delivered on May 26. Dunno about you. I'm just going to expect another delay and be surprised when it gets here early. :D

After looking at my own, I have 5/29-6/3 listed.  I just did the system with no multi-tap or any other accessories.

I bought this to have two controllers for my Mini

71iKnKCdWlL._SL1500_.jpg

As it matches to the original pad

51Q6+tdRNKL._SL1500_.jpg

That gives me two identical setup pads for the console but I do find it odd Hori wouldn't do extra pads matching the colors of the original systems.  They are only offering the extra pads in the Japanese color scheme.

However, 8bitdo has these

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Gamepad-CoreGrafx-TurboGrafx-16-Nintendo/dp/B0872QNPHK/ref=sr_1_10?crid=U30777D4E7EM&dchild=1&keywords=tg16+mini&qid=1589824725&s=videogames&sprefix=tg16+m%2Caps%2C165&sr=1-10

In the colors for Japanese, US, and Europe designs.  The only thing I didn't like about theirs is they added two buttons, which in the case of TG16 operation would mean a 1 stage turbo button separate from regular button instead of the system's 3 stage turbo tied to just the normal buttons.  Not sure how much I'd miss it but on the WiiVC it was just one stage turbo assigned to the classic controllers with the two extra buttons so I am kind of more interested in the 3 stage turbo.  Plus I'd play so infrequently that worrying about controller charging would be an issue.

49 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Its here, but damn, Amazon shipped that damn  thing in a bubble mailer and not a box.... dafuq.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. More disappointment incoming: Mine arrived yesterday, and why in the name of heck did they not include the AC adapter that you NEED to play the blasted thing? 

3 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I'm sorry to hear that, man. More disappointment incoming: Mine arrived yesterday, and why in the name of heck did they not include the AC adapter that you NEED to play the blasted thing? 

They have said this from the beginning and in some cases the videos on the unboxings I posted  said as much too.  I agree it is STUPID but I've got two power strips ( one each at my two main gaming tvs) that have USB ports on them so....  And I have like two USB socket adapaters already.  But yeah.... its DUMB.

Also, charging $20 for a USB block when you can score one for $5-10 max at Wal Mart, Target, or  BBY seems like price gauging to me.

Edited by purple_beard

A super quick thoughts/review

#1  I agree that it is stupid to sell that USB power block as a separate $20 (no less) extra accessory but they manage to provide you with the USB cable.

#2 Its interesting that the total amount of the games is split up between your PCE Japan menu and your CG/TG16 menu

--Also interesting they didn't take the time to translate the languages for the Japanese games.

#3 I got mine hooked up to a 32" 720p Samsung via HDMI and man, do those colors and graphics POP on screen.  I am very impressed.  I'd have to go back to my WiiVC copies for some of the games to so a comparison and my Wii is set up for the 480p max.

#4 Controller feels pretty good.

Quick observations on the games I played.

Bomberman '93 and '94.... still as fun as the time I was playing them on the WiiVC.  '94 is under the Japanese menu for some odd reason.  I'd also have to look at my WiiVC version because it looked like you could assign costumes to your players... I don't think the WiiVC version had that.

Bomberman Panic: pretty fun puzzle game.  I like how the Bomberman licence was used in a puzzle game.

Ninja Giaden: Oddly, its under the Japanese menu as well.  The game is a LOT brighter than the NES version but I am not sure if this one is a port/clone of the first NES entry in this series.  It kind of looks the same but I haven't played the NES one in a while.

Dragon Spirit: Cool shooter iMO.

Alien Crush: the music, the graphics....  just a fun game.  I am kind of disappointed they didn't also put Devil's Crush too.

Galaga '88: the graphics are so sharp and vibrant.

I didn't boot up any more games but yeah, I am kind of impressed.

#########

Wii VC had the costumes....and the Japanese language.

WiiCC's  top buttons = 3rd stage turbo on tg16 controllers.

Edited by purple_beard
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B07QD9GQ9J/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tg16+mini&qid=1592723868&sr=8-3

any of you guys had the bricking happen like the product reviews say?  Mine worked fine and I went straight into the USB port on my surge protector.  I've only played like 3hrs total on it but found these posts concerning. I passed on the power adapter because I had usbs on my power strip, two power bricks already, and the fact they run cheaper than the official one.

Edited by purple_beard