It's official, Nintendo reveals the Switch Lite

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-lite-model-price-release-date-colo/1100-6468325/

So Normal Switch @ $300

Switch Lite @ $200

Things that come to my mind:

Switch Dock by itself retails @ $90

You telling me screen size, detachable JCs, HD rumble, no IR camera, and lack of tv hook up are worth an additional $10 drop?

The economics on this thing don't work out in my mind.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-lite-model-price-release-date-colo/1100-6468325/

So Normal Switch @ $300

Switch Lite @ $200

Things that come to my mind:

Switch Dock by itself retails @ $90

You telling me screen size, detachable JCs, HD rumble, no IR camera, and lack of tv hook up are worth an additional $10 drop?

The economics on this thing don't work out in my mind.

That $100 difference in price could factor in a multitude of things that none of us may ever know because we don't know the cost of producing those components or the mark up that is reflected in the price at retail. It's not as simple as taking the retail price of the dock , subtracting it from the retail price of the Switch and then using the difference as a reflection of the cost pool for the remaining components making up the difference between the Switch and Switch Lite.

5 minutes ago, Kezay said:

That $100 difference in price could factor in a multitude of things that none of us may ever know because we don't know the cost of producing those components or the mark up that is reflected in the price at retail. It's not as simple as taking the retail price of the dock , subtracting it from the retail price of the Switch and then using the difference as a reflection of the cost pool for the remaining components making up the difference between the Switch and Switch Lite.

But, you telling me with lacking all that stuff, it's only a $100 cheaper?  The economics don't add up.

And might complicate the economics puzzle more is a Switch Pro comes to fruition.

Switch docks by themselves being 90 bucks is price-gouging at its finest considering it's effectively just an HDMI converter/charging station.  I don't get saying "the economics don't add up" because do you know how much it actually costs to make a Switch?  If you don't, there's nothing to add up in the first place.  Don't question "economics" behind it when Nintendo is breaking even or even gaining a slight profit off the Switch according to estimates for its manufacturing cost.

Edited by luca
22 hours ago, wildflower said:

i can see the demographic this is meant for, and if it came out a little sooner, i likely would have BEEN in that demographic

but overall, even then, i'd still prefer a normal switch for the added functionality it has overall 

i wish the OG switch came in those colors, i'm so tired of the grey/black/white era gaming has been in for home consoles, and that turquoise one is so cool :[

freakin nintendo. give us back our pink and spice orange consoles you cowards

Edited by Pichi

Yeah, like most here. This Switch iteration is not for me.

And sort like a few year if this was a year ago, I might of considered this purchase. I guess for some reason this summer, I have been playing my Switch in all modes before it would be like 70% and 20% handheld and 10% tabletop. Oddly enough when I first got the Switch I was playing a lot of tabletop mode.

I have went through a lot phases with my Switch in which I play and you know what, now that i think about all of those moments were defined by how many game I own at the time. With how many games I own now, some are more suited for certain playstyles than when I had few that dictate how I want to play. Hmm, interesting, it wasn't until now that I gave that some thought in why as of lately I've been playing all 3 modes equally.

So yeah with that said, I could not in my right mind get a Switch Lite, also what is more a turn off no HD rumble and IR motion. Besides smaller screen and no docking options that is not as big as those to me.

Also, does this version of switch of Gyro controls? I don't think I've seen anywhere if this one has it.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, ace said:

No TV compatibility means no buy for me. I’ll keep holding off until the rumored Switch Pro or whatever they decide to call it is shown off. 

Not being able to dock it means it’ll be running everything in handheld mode meaning there are certain games that are going to run like absolutely ass on these new things. 

I agree with you that it will run like shit but some games and in general with this Switch and its smaller screen the pixel density on this thing will be better than the OG Switch.

Edited by DLurkster
21 hours ago, purple_beard said:

But, you telling me with lacking all that stuff, it's only a $100 cheaper?  The economics don't add up.

And might complicate the economics puzzle more is a Switch Pro comes to fruition.

Without you or I knowing the details around that $100 difference then yes, I could certainly say that lacking all of that stuff it's only a $100 cheaper because that is the price difference we're seeing.  Getting hung up on the retail price of the item without any respect to all the potential things that could tie into why Nintendo can price it just $100 cheaper is for sure can puzzle anyone as to the economics of why they can do this because you're only seeing (and wholly accepting) only part of the story around it.

4 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Without you or I knowing the details around that $100 difference then yes, I could certainly say that lacking all of that stuff it's only a $100 cheaper because that is the price difference we're seeing.  Getting hung up on the retail price of the item without any respect to all the potential things that could tie into why Nintendo can price it just $100 cheaper is for sure can puzzle anyone as to the economics of why they can do this because you're only seeing (and wholly accepting) only part of the story around it.

Come now, we both work/worked retail... we know about markups and what not...

All I am getting at is with what is lacking and what you are giving up.... this thing should be half what a normal Switch runs for.  $100 doesn't seem like the right trade-off to move down on included features.

Gonna pass on this, kinda ugly, and especially since the joy-cons are permanently fixed to the handheld, so local co-op with only one handheld can't be possible anymore.

They should have just released the Switch without the dock and branded the packaging as a "Portable Edition" which knocked off the cost of the dock and joy-con controller grip, and just included a direct charging cable, that way if one wanted to upgrade their handheld to work with docks, they had a cheaper alternative rather than having to buy an entire new handheld bundle, it's not like this thing is drastically smaller than the original Switch.

Maybe I'm missing something here and what I said above wouldn't work, but I just see this as a money grab for the Nintendo fanatics.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, purple_beard said:

Come now, we both work/worked retail... we know about markups and what not...

All I am getting at is with what is lacking and what you are giving up.... this thing should be half what a normal Switch runs for.  $100 doesn't seem like the right trade-off to move down on included features.

Knowing about mark ups kind of puts us in the same position as not knowing the cost associated with producing the product.  The hang up here being on business/retail side where the pricing is concerned is still getting away from the understanding of the "how" and "why".  I get your rationale with the "perception" of that $100 difference relative to what changes there are between the Switch and Switch Lite but the perception of that price difference and the economics of it are two very different things.

Like, at Toys R Us, one of their most profitable toy lines was an owned brand called Imaginarium.  Highly profitable for them, we knew because we knew the profit margin on them especially relative to competing brands that it was created to respond to like Thomas the Tank Engine, crafting and creative toys.  But simply knowing that profit margin gives no insight into what it actually costs to make it and how they could price a multifunctional wooden train table with more in the box toy components a lot less than a Thomas the Tank engine one.  Now, we can make inferences based on known information as to why, but we'll always be at that stage of assuming rather than knowing.  There's an entire side of that equation that you would likely never be privy to in order to correctly assume as much.

That's all I'm getting at.

Edited by Kezay

Yo, I dare anyone who plans to get this handheld to call this and get this the....LiteSwitch.... Huh, huh, huh.....

*Drops mic*

This name sells itself, why didn't Nintendo call the system this?!?

I can see it now, 'I would like to purchase LiteSwitch'. Try saying that while purchasing this thing with a straight face.

46 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Yo, I dare anyone who plans to get this handheld to call this and get this the....LiteSwitch.... Huh, huh, huh.....

*Drops mic*

This name sells itself, why didn't Nintendo call the system this?!?

I can see it now, 'I would like to purchase LiteSwitch'. Try saying that while purchasing this thing with a straight face.

Yea they'd probably point people in the direction of Light Switches instead. :P

So, with the launch of the Switch light, is Nintendo finally going to use this damn thing (see video below)? I'm surprised it wasn't there at launch, given the Wii U gamepad had one.

Seriously, why even include it on the Switch Lite if you don't plan to use it? They got to have some plans to use it.