It's official, Nintendo reveals the Switch Lite

17 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

If the purpose of this remodel is portability, then it barely looks any smaller than the OG Switch. I still wouldn't be able to fit it inside my pocket.

On top of that, since the joy-cons can't be removed anymore, if one of them starts drifting, you're fucked.

One of the reasons I LOVE the Switch is the Joy Cons. Up until XBox released their Elite controller, I've always wanted to be able to replace PART of a controller when the analog stick eventually goes wonky. I was so scared of my 3DS circle pad shitting out on me, or my WiiU sticks crapping out.

If this would have came out at launch with the original Switch I might have gotten it, because I mostly play my Switch in handheld/tabletop modes. Though, the bigger screen on the original Switch is nice and being able to pop-off the Joy-Con and play in table top mode using the J-C grip or any other supported controller, as well. I'm happy with my launch Switch, so I won't be getting this. One thing I don't like is white buttons/sticks. Those are going to get dirty after a while (mainly the sticks). ...Looking at you white Wii Nunchuk and Classic Controller.

Since this thing has a d-pad... IT'S TIME TO RELEASE A D-PAD JOY-CON, NINTENDO!!! You know there are quite a bit of people that rarely use the Joy-Con sideways and would rather have a proper d-pad.

It seems to me like this remodel is more about lowering the price entry barrier, like the 2DS vs. the 3DS, 'cause 3.6"x8.2" isn't that much smaller than 4"x9.4". It's even similar in the way that it removes the Switch's main hook the way the 2DS removes the 3D hook. And the 2DS was a fairly successful system that didn't seem to confuse consumers.

Personally though I have no interest in a Switch that doesn't connect to the TV, since that's where I do the vast majority of my Switch playing.

I may have gotten this model had it been released near the Switch's launch, especially being $100 cheaper. I tend to play in handheld or table top mode most of the time, but it has been nice on occasion to play off of a TV. This is a Switch that isn't a Switch; however, I'm okay with a lower cost option being out there to access the current and future library of games. I'm hoping this revision points to the Switch's generation being like the DS's run rather than the Wii U's. 

Edited by IU

They hit some good points but...

Doing JC colors in these colors when it comes out?

Killing LaboVR?  Labo in general?

Does a Pro Controller (or GNC controller) work with it at all?

JC Bundles with games get back to being a thing since you can't do all the JC specific stuff?

Edited by purple_beard

No TV compatibility means no buy for me. I’ll keep holding off until the rumored Switch Pro or whatever they decide to call it is shown off. 

Not being able to dock it means it’ll be running everything in handheld mode meaning there are certain games that are going to run like absolutely ass on these new things. 

i can see the demographic this is meant for, and if it came out a little sooner, i likely would have BEEN in that demographic

but overall, even then, i'd still prefer a normal switch for the added functionality it has overall 

i wish the OG switch came in those colors, i'm so tired of the grey/black/white era gaming has been in for home consoles, and that turquoise one is so cool :[

I know people who bought the 2DS slice of toast, and they're probably the same people who will buy this.  I think this would be cute and better for traveling, it feels more like a tablet purchase than a console purchase, but at least not being optional with a dock is ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Kind of interesting they just sort of dropped a trailer instead of waiting for a Direct or something.  But I guess it's not the first time they've done something like this, but either way it was a cool surprise for a random Wednesday in July!

I was always curious how they would handle the next stage of Nintendo handhelds with the Switch out there but I guess this is just how it needed to be.  Making the Lite option live up to the name by being a cheaper alternative that is light on certain features that makes the current Switch what it is.  I like the color varieties and also the Pokemon SwSh one particularly for the color theme there.  Definitely not for me though, I'm holding out until maybe just before Pokemon SwSh launch before getting my own Switch just to see if there is truth to the Switch Pro rumors by that point.