Cadence of Hyrule is pretty good...and challenging

So my bro got me this game for my birthday and it has been really fun...

...and more difficult than I expected, at least starting off.

For a game based around keeping rhythm and acting in tandem with the beat it's a lot more versatile and interactive than I was expecting.  But more than that, despite everything that is so different with it the game in many ways feels so distinctly Zelda.  The enemies though are pretty friggin tough, though!  I think I spent the first few hours of this game simply exploring the map as far as I could because everytime I stumbled into a dungeon, cave or hidden area I would see a Stalfos Knight/Rider/Mage or an Iron Knuckle and would just "NOPE" right the heck on out of there. Literally, at the start of the game depending on what direction you go in the very next panel has an Iron Knuckle roaming around. But as I got my bearings I dove in and took some risks...died a few times, but hey, we're learning... and the game has opened up so much more.  But it still remains pretty challenging.

It's a really interesting mash up with the stylings of Crypt of the Necrodancer but they nailed the transformation of that experience into one for the Zelda series.  I think once I'm well and truly done with this game that I'll go and give Crypt a try as well.

• Chrom featured this topic

Finally beat it with a run time of 12 hours and over 80,000 steps. Pretty awesome little game and they did the Zelda license an incredible amount of justice. However, I'm looking at the leaderboards and there are people who beat the game in 2000 steps or less.  BUT HOW THOUGH!? That seems impossible to me.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:32 PM, Kezay said:

Finally beat it with a run time of 12 hours and over 80,000 steps. Pretty awesome little game and they did the Zelda license an incredible amount of justice. However, I'm looking at the leaderboards and there are people who beat the game in 2000 steps or less.  BUT HOW THOUGH!? That seems impossible to me.

So you can actually replay the same seed (or whatever the map structure is called). They play through it once, map everything out, then pick to play it on the same seed, follow the strategic path. Still seems insane to me.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, EH_STEVE said:

So you can actually replay the same seed (or whatever the map structure is called). They play through it once, map everything out, then pick to play it on the same seed, follow the strategic path. Still seems insane to me.

I had no idea about that whole replaying the same seed thing.  But for sure it still seems pretty insane!