SolSeraph, spiritual successor to ActRaiser, arriving July 10

Out of nowhere, developed by ACE and Sega, SolSeraph seems to be a spiritual successor to ActRaiser.  While definitely doing its own thing you can see where so much of the inspiration has come from.  The little zoom in-spinning map tease that ActRaiser was known for, the protagonist Helios descending to the Earth from the Heavens just as "The Master" did in ActRaiser and while not the same approach SolSeraph has its own God-Sim style mode that plays more like a strategic tower defense where you help the people of the world defeat monster lairs and develop the land. They even got the composer for ActRaiser, Yuzo Koshiro, to prepare the opening theme for this game!

Definitely keeping my eye on this one to see how it shapes up!

Yo!  ...in some spots that looks like a dead on rip of ActRaiser.... but...

Ohhh man, if that format came back to gaming....

I loved that game on my SNES.... the music, teh graphics, the platforming, the city building.... nothing like it....  I finally got the sequel from a used game store like 10 years ago now.... it just didnt have the same vibe and feel of the original.  Mostly because they took out the city building part but....

On 6/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, purple_beard said:

Yo!  ...in some spots that looks like a dead on rip of ActRaiser.... but...

Ohhh man, if that format came back to gaming....

I loved that game on my SNES.... the music, teh graphics, the platforming, the city building.... nothing like it....  I finally got the sequel from a used game store like 10 years ago now.... it just didnt have the same vibe and feel of the original.  Mostly because they took out the city building part but....

I know that the SIM mode was greatly missed in Actraiser 2 but I felt the sequel improved on the original in every way outside of the SIM mode.  Sprite work got a heck of a lot more impressive, the music to me was far more memorable, the world and level design was better and the bosses more challenging.  Biggest downfall is how wonky the flight/glide mechanics are.  Having to account for The Master not stopping on a dime when he lands from a glide made platforming a chore in some levels where precision platforming was key.  Tower Souls is one I specifically remember being almost unenjoyable to play because of this.

This game looks like it can scratch the itch though, I'm liking what they're doing here.

Kinda bummed that it apparently hasn't retained the kind of quality expected from a spiritual successor.  Watching some videos I do like how enemies will come from the foreground and background to engage you, it's a pretty cool little effect.  But it doesn't make sense that monster lairs can't be defeated which means you're constantly defending territory that you've overtaken.  There really needs to be other games like ActRaiser out there but maybe it requires the right studio in addition to the right names being attached to the projected. Would be cool if a studio like Frozenbyte (Trine series) got their hands on it, for instance.