Why has the American game industry been so rampant with greed

When I made that thread on how the game industry was more in touch with gamers, I was thinking more about the Japanese companies, which mostly don't seem to share the same problems with the American companies (barring ones like Konami). However, now that I think about it, I realized that the American gaming industry has pretty much run rampant with greed. Companies like EA are now prioritizing making as much money for the executives as possible by screwing over their customers and even their own employees, and they are trying to defend their predatory business practices to the bitter end and refuse to acknowledge the error of their ways. Even the ESA seems to be supportive of these terrible practices, to the point to which that now the government seems to be getting involved through that new anti-microtransaction bill they seem to be pushing.

How has the American gaming industry fallen under this anti-consumer mentality, unlike in Japan and more so than other entertainment industries, and now that the government is getting involved, do you think that this dark age will soon come to an end? If not what do you think would be the breaking point that would finally force these companies to end their shady practices?

8 hours ago, Vector said:

When I made that thread on how the game industry was more in touch with gamers, I was thinking more about the Japanese companies, which mostly don't seem to share the same problems with the American companies (barring ones like Konami).

And GameFreak.

I’m not really worried though, on the main topic. Lootboxes’ days seem really numbered now from the looks of it.

Greed isn't limited to western gaming companies. Or the gaming industry in general. Companies are companies, and companies are out to make money. I do think there's something of a difference in western and eastern game design philosophy, but greed is universal. For every EA shoving loot boxes into their games we have a Konami mistreating and shaming their staff. For every Activision Blizzard churning out microtransaction-ridden live services we have a Square Enix releasing an unfinished game that they will retroactively fix post-launch with paid DLC. For every Fallout 76 we have a Street Fighter V. You get it. There's not much that can be done in a free, unregulated market to dissuade companies like EA from acting in their own self-interest at the expense of their employees or customers. But no, I don't think it's a problem unique to American companies.