On the troubling state of the Pokemon franchise

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Wow. That's really not good. So maybe it's more of being burnt out and maybe a time management issue there. 

I'm not sure where you're getting that they're burnt out. Many of them have only worked on Pokemon for all these years so a project like this gives them some freedom to express new ideas, work on other types of hardware and development systems as well as new projects. They even mention this establishing some sense of synergy in development when going back to work on Pokemon because they're able to apply the things they've learned elsewhere to something that they're already familiar with.

16 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I'm not sure where you're getting that they're burnt out. Many of them have only worked on Pokemon for all these years so a project like this gives them some freedom to express new ideas, work on other types of hardware and development systems as well as new projects. They even mention this establishing some sense of synergy in development when going back to work on Pokemon because they're able to apply the things they've learned elsewhere to something that they're already familiar with.

I'm just going by how I felt watching things... it feels flat some how. Maybe there's more freedom... and I respect them for moving onto other projects. In fact I felt more energy watching the new stuff from Town, than I did from the latter. But again, that's just me.

Kinda sad about the other project considering the Sword and Shield heat has made Town even more hated. The efforts of those devs just went to waste really. Imagine Masuda having to go up to those devs like "So sorry your game failed because I wasn't assed to put all the Pokemon in" or something along those lines... They should've put a new IP on hold, giving the behemoth that is Pokemon the priority and attention to detail it usually needs and gets. Guess they figured Pokemon would sell even if they half-assed it while working on that other project, but still.

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

>Yoshio Sakamoto makes Metroid Other M

>everyone hates it

>Sakamoto takes a seven-year hiatus to get his shit together

>makes Samus Returns

>everyone loves it

>Junichi Masuda makes the decision to exclude a large number of Pokemon from Sword and Shield

>everyone hates it

>???

I think Game Freak needs to take their time for the next generation or even a third Galar game, but I don't want to see such a gap where the fan base is basically starving for that kind of product to where plenty gets overlooked. Whatever comes next for Pokemon shouldn't just be great based on situation.

Edited by IU
6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm just going by how I felt watching things... it feels flat some how. Maybe there's more freedom... and I respect them for moving onto other projects. In fact I felt more energy watching the new stuff from Town, than I did from the latter. But again, that's just me.

I was just curious because the article points out the processes and reason for Gear Project as part of their company structure.  It's not really a time management issue because anything having to do with Gear Project work is schedule outside of the busiest work periods around Pokemon and outside of that they're allowed to work on their projects on company time as opposed to personal time like with a pet project.

4 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

>Yoshio Sakamoto makes Metroid Other M

>everyone hates it

>Sakamoto takes a seven-year hiatus to get his shit together

>makes Samus Returns

>everyone loves it

>Junichi Masuda makes the decision to exclude a large number of Pokemon from Sword and Shield

>everyone hates it

>???

difficult path to follow when Game Freak has already churned out remakes as hard as possible lol

The more I think about it now, the more pointless two versions of the same game also feels at this point. Money, I know, but you could at least kinda make sense of it in the "gotta catch em all!" era, but now? And the games being $60 on top of that? That's a tough sell. Even if Sword/Shield wasn't looking subpar for me, I would just get one of the versions at most like I pretty much always have. Doubt anyone could convince me this would be worth the $120 even if I was more optimistic for these games.

With mainline Pokemon being on console now (well, Switch part console part handheld, but you know what I mean), more effort should be focused on making one good game. With no National Dex, I don't really see how one can justify two versions as much anymore. ... And that's not even counting the 3rd version/sequels this will likely get.

16 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Doubt anyone could convince me this would be worth the $120 even if I was more optimistic for these games.

the whole idea was trading with your friends, not buying both versions lol
with online trading there's even less of a reason to buy multiple versions since it's easy to get pokes you don't have

Honestly, they could've stopped doing the two versions as soon as the games went online, but they got greedier as time went on. Charging $40 for Ultra Sun and Moon, which were basically the exact same games as Sun and Moon but with minor changes to the story (which some argue made the story worse), and $10 worth of post-game DLC content.

Emerald and Platinum were significant improvements over their respective duologies in comparison. Black and White 2 were full-fledged sequels that greatly expanded the Unova region. Ultra Sun and Moon were... Sun and Moon again, but better and worse in some areas.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how Galar's sequel(s) expand upon the originals if nothing else.

The duaI packs just seem like an alternative way to get both games. I'm not sure what the difference would be in getting that or buying both games together as separate units. Everything in one box for those who still invest in both versions for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, Kezay said:

The duaI packs just seem like an alternative way to get both games. I'm not sure what the difference would be in getting that or buying both games together as separate units. Everything in one box for those who still invest in both versions for whatever reason.

Yea but it doesn't excuse the higher cost. I generally try to get the one game I want the most first and then try to get the other on sale or used. For those who want to pay full price for both, it's their right and their choice, but it does seem to be more of a greed thing as time goes along.

28 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Honestly, they could've stopped doing the two versions as soon as the games went online, but they got greedier as time went on. Charging $40 for Ultra Sun and Moon, which were basically the exact same games as Sun and Moon but with minor changes to the story (which some argue made the story worse), and $10 worth of post-game DLC content.

Emerald and Platinum were significant improvements over their respective duologies in comparison. Black and White 2 were full-fledged sequels that greatly expanded the Unova region. Ultra Sun and Moon were... Sun and Moon again, but better and worse in some areas.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how Galar's sequel(s) expand upon the originals if nothing else.

Agreed. It would have been great if Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon being a DLC add on instead of being another set of games to buy.

Definitely. They brought more to the table than what US/UM did with their stories.

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea but it doesn't excuse the higher cost. I generally try to get the one game I want the most first and then try to get the other on sale or used. For those who want to pay full price for both, it's their right and their choice, but it does seem to be more of a greed thing as time goes along.

The higher cost? The SwSh separately are to be 59.99 each, right? The dual pack is 119.99. 

24 minutes ago, Kezay said:

The higher cost? The SwSh separately are to be 59.99 each, right? The dual pack is 119.99. 

Yep. Meaning paying $20 more for it. $120 is a bit much for both. I'd rather pay a bit less if I'm able to.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yep. Meaning paying $20 more for it. $120 is a bit much for both. I'd rather pay a bit less if I'm able to.

Well I mean, it makes sense if they're selling the dual pack for the same cost as buying both separately. They aren't charging more for it, they're basically selling both units together in a single package for the same cost as buying them separately.