Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vector

What third-party character do you think will inevitably join Smash

Recommended Posts

With Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash, it seems now that no fan requested third-party character is impossible to bring into Smash. I remember posting a thread a long while saying that Banjo will definitely be in Smash, before being shot down with counterarguments like "Nintendo will never bring in a competitor's character." Shortly before E3, I also thought that a Dragon quest character would eventually join Smash, given then focus Nintendo gives the series in their Direct. Now that we have both of these characters. What other third-party characters do you think will inevitably join Smash, whether it be in Ultimate or a future title, ignoring any unforeseen legal issues. Right now, my eyes are on Crash Bandicoot, given that he is one of, if not the since Banjo got in, the most requested third-party characters to come in Smash. But what ones do you guys think will join Smash for sure eventually?

Share this post


Link to post

Ryu Hayabusa. 

 

I just feel like he is an inevitability among third party characters. He has been around since the NES days, he represents two popular series and Nintendo has a good relationship with Koei-Tecmo.

 

He's not my first choice among third party characters, he might not even be my first choice among third-party video game ninjas, of which there are quite a few. 

Share this post


Link to post

@blcdude1

I totally think Ryu Hayabusa / Ninja Gaiden series would be totally worth it.  You'd have swords, sai, stars, fireballs, and tons of other moves for him.  The games scenery would offer some good choices for Smash arenas.

 

**********

 

Arthur / Super GnG.

--already got tons of weapons and jumping for moves and the colors are there too because of his armor sets.  Heck, from Super GNG you'd have tons of great choices for stages(and music).

 

Minecraft Steve / Minecraft

--Just seems too obvious to do.

 

Mortal Kombat rep? / Mortal Kombat

--I mean, if a Street Fighter guy can get in....

 

Cup Head?

--I doubt this because Shovel Knight was a Nintendo system star and he only got Assist Trophy status.

 

Chrono / ChronoTrigger

--Personally doubt it but....  The stage good rotate through the time periods like the game did.

 

Bomberman / Bomberman

--Get the money right and bump him out of Assist Trophy status.

 

Bonk / Bonk 

--I mean, c'mon, the head butting mechanic alone would be worth it and then you have those turbo jumps to float for a little bit.  Also, his hyped up mode when he ate those meat racks and would go crazy.  Also, you have the possibility of Air Zonk as a tie in.  Music would be great and of course a prehistoric stage would be epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

@blcdude1

Bonk / Bonk 

--I mean, c'mon, the head butting mechanic alone would be worth it and then you have those turbo jumps to float for a little bit.  Also, his hyped up mode when he ate those meat racks and would go crazy.  Also, you have the possibility of Air Zonk as a tie in.  Music would be great and of course a prehistoric stage would be epic.

Bonk? Really? This guy is way too obscure, and is not even a popular pick by fans.

I'm talking about characters whose inclusion you think are inevitable, i.e. are bound to happen sooner or later, based on mainstream relevance, legacy, fan popularity, and/or other factors, not just the ones you want in. 

 

All the others are pretty good ones though.

Edited by Vector

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Vector said:

Bonk? Really? This guy is way too obscure, and is not even a popular pick by fans.

I'm talking about characters whose inclusion you think are inevitable, i.e. are bound to happen sooner or later, based on mainstream relevance, legacy, fan popularity, and/or other factors, not just the ones you want in. 

 

All the others are pretty good ones though.

Well, let me lame up the thread with:

 

Master Chief

 

Doom Guy

 

Goku

 

MK11 is still in play

 

Dude from Devil May Cry

 

Travis Touchdown

 

Mega Man, Sonic, and/or Pac Man get 2nd reps.

*Mrs Pac Man

*Dr. Robotnik

*Dr. Wily himself

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I really wish Travis Touchdown could get a shot, but I'm surprised no one like Sora or a protagonist from the Tales series hasn't been considered yet.

 

Its called money.... and contracts.  I still wonder how Cloud came over to Smash... and I bet that part of the deal was he had to get TWO Amiibos for him LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Vector said:

Bonk? Really? This guy is way too obscure, and is not even a popular pick by fans.

 

To specifically address Bonk though...

 

Mario was to Nintendo as Sonic was to Sega and as Bonk was to the TG16/PCEngine.  And that system was a pretty decent success in Japan, while yes, it never fully caught on in NA.  He got some SNES love for at least one game ( not going to wiki to look it up to see there were more) and it was one of the main featured systems on the Wii's VC service.  Also, as much as I favor sword fighters in Smash, it would be nice to get someone with some unique physical attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, purple_beard said:

 

Its called money.... and contracts.  I still wonder how Cloud came over to Smash... and I bet that part of the deal was he had to get TWO Amiibos for him LOL.

I think it's a bit too simple to boil it down to just money and contracts.  You said it yourself about wondering how Cloud came over to Smash which is arguably a much larger get than any Tales rep or Sora despite how successful KH is.  I mean, there actually is a representation of a protagonists from one of the most successful Tales titles on a Nintendo system within Smash but for whatever reason that's as far as that will ever go.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I think it's a bit too simple to boil it down to just money and contracts.  You said it yourself about wondering how Cloud came over to Smash which is arguably a much larger get than any Tales rep or Sora despite how successful KH is.  I mean, there actually is a representation of a protagonists from one of the most successful Tales titles on a Nintendo system within Smash but for whatever reason that's as far as that will ever go.

 

And don't forget he was the star of the Nintendo Killer, FF7. The game when Square left Nintendo in the Final Fantasy dust and propelled the PSX into stardom.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/14/2019 at 11:14 PM, purple_beard said:

 

And don't forget he was the star of the Nintendo Killer, FF7. The game when Square left Nintendo in the Final Fantasy dust and propelled the PSX into stardom.

I'm guessing they didn't have that in mind when choosing him though.  Simply put, Cloud is probably the most ubiquitous Final Fantasy character and for the kind of game that Smash is it's probably the most obvious choice.  This isn't All Stars Battle Royale where they settled for peeps like Raiden instead of Snake or DmC Dante instead of DMC Dante. They chose the character that players would connect with the most.

Share this post


Link to post

The last two DLC fighters for the pass are likely to be third party based on how the current line-up has gone so far. Crash Bandicoot seems like a solid pick for one of those two additions, and would be the Sony-associated icon (even if not exclusive to Sony now) to Banjo's Microsoft association. Besides Crash, I'm not too sure, but I'm leaning towards a representative from Monster Hunter or just a character that has more of an iconic status to Smash's eastern fans. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×