BotW Sequel confirmed - First look trailer

19 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Even a vague trailer and a simple confirmation that something is in development has me super hyped. I was just talking with my brother a couple weeks ago about how we'd love to see a Breath of the Wild sequel à la Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, and boom E3 delivers.

Same here. Love BOTW and this looks nice.

Heard it here first. The new title is “Gasp of the Tamed” and not just because it’s like the opposite of “Breath of the Wild” but also:

Throughout BotW we knew nothing on how the DBs and Guardians worked, what powered them, etc. My guess is the Sheikah imprisoned TP Ganondorf after his battle with Link. They then began using his lingering power of the Triforce, or at least his life force’s ability to use it, and started siphoning it off as a power source. 

Twilight Princess already had some familiar stone-tech with similar design to the DBs and Guardians, so knowing Ganon keeps coming back, they use his own power against him to create this new tech. 

Like usual, barriers weaken, often by a guiding hand or Ganon’s own influence (LttP, WW) and he takes over control of the tech he’s being drained to power, and BotW happens. 

Calamity is stopped, but Zelda ‘s curiosity on the technology isn’t. They check out the source and find that using all the energy of the DBs has lifted the amount needed to restrain Ganon and we now see him waking up. 

A Gasp of life returning to the one who was tamed.

25 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

At first I thought it would be DLC, a new story feature in Breath of the Wild. I had no idea why. But with that being said I am very hyped for sequel. Now I really have to finish BoTW and the DLC!

That's me too. I'll have to get the DLC when I can as well.

7 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Thoughts on with the Castle getting raised and the dark cloud nature of the scene in the "basement" does this signal the Dark World returning (ALTTP)?  Or do we get that Shadow World ala TP?

I've been seeing a lot of people theorizing that'll it be mechanical, Divine Beast-style.

15 hours ago, purple_beard said:

The mood and music of the trailer lead me to believe this is going to go much darker and I can dig it.

The creator stated that the sequel to BotW will indeed be a little darker than Majora's Mask. It is still nice to see Ganondorf again though as a husk. Makes me wonder who the true evil is here as it almost looks like Ganondorf ended up being a victim here.

This game hype is like someones hype for Panzer Dragoon, AC:NH, and Banjo-Kazooie rolled into one.

I cannot contain such hype like Ganondorf being held by hand of fate and malice spilling out. Like him I ache to be release, I ache for this to be in our hands. Despite that, I'll will do my darnest to wait patiently for this game release.

Also, check this vid out. A real interesting theory.

At first I was really cranky because I thought I'd have to buy BotW again for the Switch for some fancy DLC, but the moment they said sequel I became pretty hyped.

When I saw the castle lifting my first thought was "Skyloft" but I'd really prefer NOT to have that again.

Another theory video.

Revelations @ 3:36, all 15 Sheikah Towers are entry points one giant dungeon underground.

giphy4.gif.1cb9b8ebb7c3d8cf23991a62a9f5bee4.gif

If it ends up being entry point to several that is fine too. Basically this all stems from the Shrine to enter them you take elevator underground so the Sheikah Towers may have similar function. Seeing that they all rose from underground as well.

That brings credence to dungeon(s) underground. Goddam this is genius!

I can definitely see that being a possibility.  The idea that there are conventional dungeons but the passage of time or whatever convenient reasons has relegated them to being underground tombs or something to that effect.  It would definitely be one way of creatively using the space of the huge overworld they created for Breath of the Wild in a new way.

My only problem with that theory, albeit a trivial one, is the connection that Ganondorf snaps his neck back in place after the whole deal with Zant snapping his own neck Twilight Princess which causes Ganondorf's death in that game.  Thing is, when Zant did that to himself, it didn't make Ganondorf's neck snap as well; it simply severed whatever remaining connection that Ganondorf had to Zant and ultimately killed him.  But maybe I'm taking it too literally and maybe the neck snapping into place, while not entirely accurate, is meant to be a direct callback without being super on the nose about it.

For all intents and purposes, it's a really great theory and I'm pretty astounded seeing the connections being made.

lol Timeline theories still me chuckle. Although, ones that claim BotW is anything but a convergence of them all legit make me want to bang my head against the wall.

Part of me is hoping there might be a little  insight in this sequel into what happened during that 10,000 year span that perhaps tied it all together. 

The only substantial from that video (almost anyone could translate the Hylian text by the way) the swirling text. If the words "Ganon Seal" actually means that the only Ganondorf that was not seal is the reason for this seal by all means I'll be on aboard but I agree with Kezay the connection with crack neck is weak to me to be the solidarity connection. Like I said the Ganon Seal is significant if there's something there that will actually confirm the time beside the neck thing then I'll be behind what timeline it will be.

I'm still in the camp that Breath of the Wild is in the downfall timeline despite the contradictory of other Zelda elements that pop in that game. To make a timeline split it in 3 and then you make a game that it's story only from 100 years ago. It's no wonder Breath of the Wild either has no placement or it's combination of all 3. This latest one about I just can't get behind it.

• Chrom featured this topic

I love Breath of the Wild, and think it's great that they're following up on the story, but I really do hope we get traditional underground caverns and temples for dungeons again; that'd be fantastic. It'd fit the spooky atmosphere the game is going for really well. I wasn't much a fan of the Divine Beasts in BotW, but I might like them more if there's a bunch of scary horror stuff deep underground where they were excavated from, kind of like Hell (didn't Demise and his demons arise from underneath Hyrule)? There's so little to go on right now but I'd love if the game went in that direction!

Edited by Lucina